Thread: Spring Black Bear

Default Spring Black Bear

My buddy and I have been in a long drawn-out arguement about what is the time for spring black bear .what do think is the best date to go out for spring black bear in PWS or Seward?

2nd week of may
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default PWS

In three years with about ten bears taken in my stands by me, friends and family: the earliest has been May 21st over bait. After that is increases to peak around the last week in May and first week of June being the most. Latest on a north facing slope was June 14th.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Very few out before the 15th.Memorial Day always seems like the day.You can tell because you won't be the only one out there looking for them,LOL!

first week of may last season on eastern PWS we saw 18 blackies in one day, hunt was over by noon. may 9th i think the date on the picture is. i guess that would be second week of may.
    Master guide 212

Iv'e been hunting them for 16 years now and we have seen only a hand full before the 15th and they are usually high up in the snow.Never seen one before the 9th but we learned very quickly(after a few years)to not even bother going out untill the last week of May.You will end up seeing 3 times the amount of bears by waiting just another week or so.

I saw one on Chenega Island one year on April 30th. Of course, we were out there for a commercial black cod opening, so we didn't have our guns - and you can't hunt on Chenega anyhow (Native Corp. land) - but it was still pretty cool to watch him out there eating seaweed.

-Brian

man thats weird to hear you guys say all that, i went to camp on may 1st and we saw black bears i think every day, probably at least a half dozen on the beaches, very few in the snow most were on the slides right below snow line, i'd bet in the ten days i was there, we saw well over 2 dozen black bears...mainland not islands.
    Master guide 212

Default Times

Times probably vary from area to area based on the amount of snow fall in any given area. Last year around Valdez things were two weeks late because of very cool night that kept the snow pack high up deep.

You may see bears out on a southern slope but the northern shaded sides might not show activity until 2-3 week latter on.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

i was pretty stinkin' close to valdez, can't say excatly where <wink wink> but one slope was south facing, the other was ran north south, and the bears on the beaches were on all of the beaches, no trend or anything. kinda odd i guess, right place right time, thats hunting.
    Master guide 212

Last year we were seeing 8-10 every day and that was just into the first week of May, we were South out of Homer. Can't say for the more northern inland bears, I can say though we diverted to Homer because Seward was not an option because of the weather last year. We are leaving out on the 6th of May this year and will be shooting for Seward again.

Doug

Dave,I'm sure you know of the little green cabin up on the hill in Galena bay?havn't been there in 4 years now but we used to stay there every year since the late 80's.Beautiful place in the spring!

Default 1st week of may

If you get out while there is still alot of snow away from the beaches the vegitation is very limited which puts the bears in any spot where there IS green stuff. Much easier to hunt and to find if you go earlier. We hunt middle if the first week to middle of the second week every year and could easily go 3 for 3 if we didn't always hold out for the proverbial 8 footer
    Justin

///what do think is the best date to go out for spring black bear in PWS or Seward?
    \\\

May 25th.