Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC gun question

Default CC gun question

I have never CC[except a hot loaded .45 Ruger Vaquero pocket carried for bears in city parks-didn't what to upset the spandex crowd with open Carry.] Anyway, I have thought I would give it a try. The problem is the only gun I have remotely suitable is a S&W 1917 .45 ACP. Is this at all practical, or is the gun just too bulky for CC? I really like the gun, smooth as silk DA and a glass like trigger break.
    Any thoughts/experience? what would be a good holster?

Concealed carrying is a lifestyle. In other words, it will often change the way you dress and the things you do. That being said, just about anything can be concealed with the right holster and clothing combo. Your particular revolver will be a real challenge because there aren't a lot of holsters for it that are suitable for concealed carry. Also, the trigger that breaks like glass isn't always the best choice for an every day carry gun.
    I encourage you to carry and to even take a carry course even though it is not required. If I were you I would look at a different gun to start with. A used Glock or XD can be had for $400, or you could get a new Ruger SR9c or SR9 for about that.
    Holsters are like underwear, everybody has their own style. I like the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe for IWB carry of my G19/G17 and I use Blackhawk Serpa's for OWB when I'm wearing a jacket, vest or untucked shirt.
    It's be really hard to go wrong with a G19, a Super Tuck holster and a Serpa holster for starters. Just my .02

That's definitely not the best CCW gun, but if it's all you got, it's all you got. Finding a method of concealment might be difficult, but not impossible. A shoulder holster might be a good place to start, and it wouldn't be too impractical during the winter since you'd be wearing a coat most of the time. With that said, if CC'ing is something you really want to make a habit of, it might be worth your while to get something smaller.

I rotate between three guns for my CCW... An HK P7 (my favorite), an HK P2000SK, and most recently a Colt Combat Commander. My parents also CCW, and they share between them a Ruger LCR (a very good, affordable gun if you're a revolver fan), a Glock 26, and a SIG P238. Whatever you decide to go with, be prepared to drop a couple hundred dollars on holsters. You'll probably go through several before you find one that works for you. Some of my personal favorite companies are Galco, TT Gun Leather, R. Grizzle Leather, and Comp-Tac.

Thanks for the replies. it may be better to sell the 1917 get something else, but I hate to do that as I have only sold one gun in my life and that was 30 years ago and I still regret it.[1890 Win pump]
    I see FIST makes holsters for the n frame but not sure if they are CC.

Selling guns always sucks, but you might not even have to (depending on your budget, of course). You can easily get an adequate carry piece for $300. There's a ton of good deals for used guns here ... http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Guns_Hunting/

In my experience, if the gun you carry isn't comfortable, you're eventually going to stop carrying it. Here's a link to a guy on Youtube who does a lot of gun reviews, and he gears most of them towards carry pieces. Be advised, he's a huge dork who can sometimes get pretty annoying, but he does get his hands on a lot of good guns that you might not otherwise have a chance to see. He really stresses the importance of size and weight when choosing a carry piece (sometimes to the point of absurdity, but it's a good jumping off point anyways)...

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfanc...0A6E0DAD2354B3

Good luck, and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Selling guns always sucks, but you might not even have to (depending on your budget, of course). You can easily get an adequate carry piece for $300. There's a ton of good deals for used guns here ... http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen..._Guns_Hunting/

In my experience, if the gun you carry isn't comfortable, you're eventually going to stop carrying it. Here's a link to a guy on Youtube who does a lot of gun reviews, and he gears most of them towards carry pieces. Be advised, he's a huge dork who can sometimes get pretty annoying, but he does get his hands on a lot of good guns that you might not otherwise have a chance to see. He really stresses the importance of size and weight when choosing a carry piece (sometimes to the point of absurdity, but it's a good jumping off point anyways)...

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfanc...0A6E0DAD2354B3

Good luck, and stay safe.
    Not sure if I should thank you or curse you for that list. 15 pages of guns for sale, all within a hours drive? I smell a budget crises coming up. I did spot a S&W .357 [I have always wanted a .357 I have no idea why] for$300, but he didn't specify the model. Will have to call on that one. How convenient, its in Peters Creek, right on the way to the range.

It is not a problem to CC a full size auto. Small of back, canted forward pancake holster and a jacket. Off you go. My CC is a full sized Glock 22. Wear the right jacket and you could CC a flippin' shotgun.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree with JOAT.

I think a S&W 1917 .45 ACP is a revolver.

I say, go with that. Even a small gun can be difficult to conceal, and there are all kinds of ways to keep a gun handy.

You can have a holster made, or make one yourself. Be creative. You don't hafta follow established rules.

You can make a cardboard pocket, to fit in your coat pocket.

I bet you can find something that will work for you, until you learn more, and can afford another gun, if you need to get another one.

Nope, don't sell the gun you got. Work with it. I think it's worth more to you, to keep it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I think that no matter what you decide to CCW, the #1 concern with your carry method should be safety for you and others concerning weapon retention. You get what you pay for in holsters and I would never advise anyone to carry without a quality holster to protect that ever critical trigger. You also have to realize that when you start to CCW carry, you will soon see how uncomfortable it can be without a quality holster getting in and out of vehicles, sitting down at tables, bending over to pick something up, ect... Like the one poster mentioned, it has to be a lifestyle and frame of mind, never loosing the realization you have a loaded handgun on your person with sole responsibility to keep everyone safe from negligent discharge. Worse case scenario you have your weapon drop in a public place and discharge!!!! It can happen.

I carry several different 1911's and like the CrossBreed Super Tuck Holster, Galco Summer Comfort, and several others. My good quality holster list besides above: Mitch Rosen, Allessi, Milt Sparks, Desantis, BlackHawk, Fobus. They come in leather, Kydex, and conbinations of the two. You will likely have to search long and hard to find anything other than an old militery flap holster to fit your 1917 without having one made. You can start out with your current weapon to test the waters, but if you adopt the CCW way of life, you will soon have a desire to aquire several more for varying situations.

Take Care

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think a S&W 1917 .45 ACP is a revolver.
    Yep. Didn't read the OP close enough. As I skimmed over the thread, my mind processed "1911 45 ACP". Didn't see the "7". Revolvers will be a little more bulky, but you can still hide it with the right outer wear.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've carried 3" and 4" S&W N-frames in both IWB and OWB holsters under light vests and untucked shirts. It isn't that hard or uncomfortable if you have a good gunbelt. A 5" 1917 shouldn't be that bad; just make sure the cover garment is long enough.

Try not to run too much (if any) +P ammo through that 1917. A good 230 grain standard pressure hollowpoint would be my choice.

Again thanks for all the input. There will be no +p ammo; this is strictly a handloading proposition. I'll be ****ed if I'll pay $1.00 a shot for.45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Again thanks for all the input. There will be no +p ammo; this is strictly a handloading proposition. I'll be ****ed if I'll pay $1.00 a shot for.45 ACP.
    For carry ammo, reloads aren't recommended. Spend $45 on two boxes of quality ammo (Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester PDX1, Federal Hydra-Shock, etc.). Shoot one box just to see how it performs in your gun, and save the rest for carry only.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    I think that no matter what you decide to CCW, the #1 concern with your carry method should be safety for you and others concerning weapon retention. You get what you pay for in holsters and I would never advise anyone to carry without a quality holster to protect that ever critical trigger. You also have to realize that when you start to CCW carry, you will soon see how uncomfortable it can be without a quality holster getting in and out of vehicles, sitting down at tables, bending over to pick something up, ect... Like the one poster mentioned, it has to be a lifestyle and frame of mind, never loosing the realization you have a loaded handgun on your person with sole responsibility to keep everyone safe from negligent discharge. Worse case scenario you have your weapon drop in a public place and discharge!!!! It can happen.

I carry several different 1911's and like the CrossBreed Super Tuck Holster, Galco Summer Comfort, and several others. My good quality holster list besides above: Mitch Rosen, Allessi, Milt Sparks, Desantis, BlackHawk, Fobus. They come in leather, Kydex, and conbinations of the two. You will likely have to search long and hard to find anything other than an old militery flap holster to fit your 1917 without having one made. You can start out with your current weapon to test the waters, but if you adopt the CCW way of life, you will soon have a desire to aquire several more for varying situations.

Take Care
    There is no excuse for sloppy gun handling of course, but I don't believe that would be possible with my 1917. It appears to have something like a cross bar mechanism that prevents the fireing pin from protruding past the breech unless the trigger is pulled. Maybe all DA revolvers are built like that, I don't know, it's the only DA I own.

I just got a smart carry holster... I can now cc with all sorts of clothes I never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    There is no excuse for sloppy gun handling of course, but I don't believe that would be possible with my 1917. It appears to have something like a cross bar mechanism that prevents the fireing pin from protruding past the breech unless the trigger is pulled. Maybe all DA revolvers are built like that, I don't know, it's the only DA I own.
    Was not trying to preach to the choir, just stressing the retention issue of a quality holster I guess. Whether said weapon would discharge or not if dropped, it could still prove quite embarrasing in public plus give away your whole concealed carry mode with possible damage. (Seen a real purdy 357 Python years ago a buddy dropped and broke the hammer off of plus scratched up the frame) The right holster will also help pull the weapon in tight to your body to make concealment easier. Many good options out there and I'm sure you will find one to suit your needs.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    I just got a smart carry holster... I can now cc with all sorts of clothes I never thought possible.
    Does it really make your gun "Invisible"?

http://www.smartcarry.com/products.html

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I carry my Alaskan CC with no problem but then again town wear is lose in Wrangell. You see a new set of HH in the resterant and you know he just showing off
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well I think I am going to try, it lest for now to make the 1917 work. I was wearing a sweat shirt most of last "summer" anyway and you can hide a lot under one of those.
    What really made up my mind was a trip to mountain view sporting goods today to look at some "proper" CCW. Some beauty's alright[it was love at first sight when I saw that steel 1911 Remington] but then my eye caught the CZ 20 ga. color case hardened side by side in the gun case for $300 more. No way am I buying a pistol till that SxS is mine!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    A 5 inch n-frame wheelie hidden in your undercrackers!! I don't think that would work as "concealed" and I'd like to see you walk without a limp!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast