Thread: Another Paxson First!

Default Another Paxson First!

I dropped my wife off at work today, and Paxson and I headed to the hills. We got on a couple nice groups of ptarmigan. The first group really seemed to surprise Paxson. He snapped on point when the scent cone of 30 birds smacked him in the nose. When two birds to the right of the large group flushed, we both actually jumped a little! Due the surprise of the two flushing birds, I didn't get a bead on any of the birds until they were out of range. He seemed suspicious of every clump of snow the rest of the day. Over the course of the next few hours, and a few miles on the boot bottoms, we connected on several ptarmigan. Paxson had both good and bad moments. I guess it is expected for a 7 month old pup. Things will get ironed out eventually. He retrieved pretty well today again.DSCN1998.jpgDSCN1996.jpg

nothing like watching a good dog do it's thing...

I remember my Lab's first retrieve on a pond, he was around 6 months, it was just a little scaup but it might as well have been a Christmas goose.

What a great start on the white birds, he looks great!

Congratulations! Looks like you had a great day.

Jim

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats!!! Hoyt, looks like a lot of fun.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    nothing like watching a good dog do it's thing...

I remember my Lab's first retrieve on a pond, he was around 6 months, it was just a little scaup but it might as well have been a Christmas goose.
    LOL I bet. Paxsons first retrieve was about the same age, and when he grabbed that grouse, I couldn't eve see his face.

Thanks guys! He is doing better than I thought at this age. He is starting to develop that "teen age" mentality, and doing things for himself at times, other than what I would like him to do. He is growing up........we'll just have to keep up the training! lol

Wow great day. That's a good lesson for the dog, it's fun to watch the lights come on during training as they find their purpose.

a great day had with a dog at your side always makes it better. Nothing like the contentment of a dog who finds his purpose. Was that up around the dome area, or further from town. I was up on the dome yesterday with my kids, but the two places we walked had tons of sign and no birds, saw a fox both times though (probably why no birds).

Andrew

Congrats to you both! Paxson looks very proud -- as I am sure you were as well.

Regards,
    Kyle

Sounds like you have Paxson started really well. I just got finished getting ready for tomorrow's hunt with my pup. There is nothing better than training a dog and then watching them work. Nive pics

I have been slowly looking at dogs for myself, being in Arizona but planning to move home eventually has me between types of dogs, i have forgot what breed paxson is. I am already laughing at the thought of a young dog on a first ptarmigan hunt and the expression on their face when a snow ball explodes into flight

Nice looking dog! And nice day hunting! Good luck the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I have been slowly looking at dogs for myself, being in Arizona but planning to move home eventually has me between types of dogs, i have forgot what breed paxson is. I am already laughing at the thought of a young dog on a first ptarmigan hunt and the expression on their face when a snow ball explodes into flight
    Paxson is an Ryman/Old Hemlock English Setter. He is out of Beirl's Setters in Mellen, Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
    Nice looking dog! And nice day hunting! Good luck the rest of the year.
    Thank you! Good luck to you also!

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Sounds like you have Paxson started really well. I just got finished getting ready for tomorrow's hunt with my pup. There is nothing better than training a dog and then watching them work. Nive pics
    Good luck hunting!

Looking back at some pictures, I realized we took both Willow and Rock ptarmigan on this trip!