Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press- 1st Impressions

Default Lee Classic Turret Press- 1st Impressions

Cabellas was having a sale. $189.99 AND $5.00 shipping (free shipping now) so I ordered a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Kit.

Here's a good review/article. http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

I also purchased an extra turret disk and dual disk kit for larger powder charges. I'm in the whole setup about 200 bucks. I just couldn't get myself to make the jump to 500 bucks or so for a full progressive like a Dillon. Anyway…

I'd read up on them and watched the videos on Youtube and thought it looked pretty slick. It seemed lots of guys like the setup so I figured I'd go for it. I've been loading on a single stage press for a few years and thought it'd be nice to up my production now that I'm casting my own boolits as well. I bought primarily for my 38's and 45's.

I've been messing around with it this week and loaded about 40 rounds last night poking around and getting the feel for it. Setting the dies, verifying powder charge weight, etc. Tonight I fiddled around a little more, got everything dialed in and felt I had a good feel for it so I did a time test for 50 rounds of 45 Colt. 255gr plinkers over 8.5gr Unique. I wasn't trying to break any speed record but just went along at a good pace. I loaded 50 rounds in 25 minutes which also included verifying the charge weight on several. I had already de-capped the brass with my 325 die and them tumbled them. The 25 minute process included sizing,/priming, flaring/powder drop, seat bullet, crimp in separate step with Lee factory crimp die. The Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure dropped exactly 8.5gr Unique. I weighed every 8 or so loads out of about 75 tonight and everyone was exactly the same. Pretty impressive actually.

I think I'm gonna like this little setup, time will tell but so far so good.

Snyd,

Glad to hear it's working well for you. I read the reviews on the Cabellas link too, the price is very reasonable. My brother is in the market for a system, my experience is with a Dillon. I will steer him in your direction as an option so he can choose.

If you haven't seen this website yet, it's worth a look. This guy does lots of high quality HD videos of various reloading equipment and gives good advise. If you click the Lee link across the top of the page, it takes you to all the videos related to Lee products.

http://ultimatereloader.com/

I use the same setup and I really like mine. It is great when you need to switch calibers, just switch your turrent with the other set of dies already installed, swap out the autodisk measure for the new caliber, check your powder weight, check to make sure you have the right primer, and start loading. Not to mention...the price is right!

I just bought the same press kit from Lee direct. I got it for $162 + $4 handling charge. Also got a few extra turrets that I can leave setup. Nice press. Pretty hard to beat Lee's pricing and the quality is there.
    FYO:
    Lee's site has a video section on how to use and setup their equipment. Check it out.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I just bought the same press kit from Lee direct. I got it for $162 + $4 handling charge. Also got a few extra turrets that I can leave setup. Nice press. Pretty hard to beat Lee's pricing and the quality is there.
    FYO:
    Lee's site has a video section on how to use and setup their equipment. Check it out.
    Do you mean factorysales.com? Is it the Classic Cast Turret or the Deluxe Turret Press Kit. Only 4 bucks to ship it to Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Do you mean factorysales.com? Is it the Classic Cast Turret or the Deluxe Turret Press Kit. Only 4 bucks to ship it to Alaska?
    Deluxe Turret Press Kit......oops, you got the Classic, not sure if it's different or not. Sorry if I made a mistake on your post.
    Got right from Lees site:
    http://www.leeprecision.com/
    Yep $4 handling charge covered the shipping. Lee is great
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I load with a turret press, different brand but same idea.
    I sure like the turret presses. I don't load large amounts at once. Always trying different loads, so the turret suits me to a "T".
    "The older I get, the better I was."