Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Be careful out there!!

  1. #1
    Member CGSwimmer25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    695

    Default Be careful out there!!

    The Kodiak Air Station had to launch a helo today for another goat hunter who had an accident up on the mountain. This hunter was not as forturnate as Alaska Lanche and his wife to make it out to safety. Im sure there will be news of this shortly but just another reminder to BE CAREFUL when you are up on the mountains hunting. This guy even had a guide with him, so if you are heading out in the field guided or unguided take your time and dont push beyond your limitations. Be safe out there fellas!

  2. #2
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default

    that right there is why its good that the state has guide requirements for goat......it can still hit the fan even when your with a guide ....but it would happen alot more if there just a bunch of folks from teh lower 48 up here trying to hunt goats in the nasty nasty stuff
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    46

    Default

    People deserve the right to take risks.

  4. #4
    Member akfirefighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Was this on the k-Penn? I noticed the coast guard flying over Soldotna today. Not very common having coast guard ships flying over town.

  5. #5
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default

    they have the right to pay for the risk of a near death experience goat hunt
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  6. #6
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Sad to hear and a definate reminder to be careful out there, will say a prayer for the family.

  7. #7
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Any info yet?

  8. #8
    Member CGSwimmer25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    695

    Default

    The gentleman was on a guided hunt near Old Harbor, Kodiak. He fell into a ravine wednesday night and was recovered yesterday.

  9. #9
    Member Bighorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    Posts
    2,032

    Default

    I'm very sorry to hear about that. It's a sad day when another hunter falls to his death. We've all been there clinging to some tiny fragment of real estate putting faith in our skills.

    God bless the man living the dream and dying while in pursuit.

    Thanks for getting his body back to the family.

  10. #10

    Default

    Very sad to wake up & hear that a fellow hunter died doing what he loved. As stated above it is a good reminder to the rest of us about to head out & the USCG did bring some closure to the family. My prayers go out to the family.

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Very sad news. Crazy how fast that island will turn on you! I sure do love wondering those mountains though. Thanks to the USCG for doing what you guys do!

  12. #12

    Default

    One minute you are on Top Of The World, next minute you are in the Underworld. Live for the moment, you never know what the next will bring.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    they have the right to pay for the risk of a near death experience goat hunt
    What we have is well known. I was referring to what we deserve.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    One minute you are on Top Of The World, next minute you are in the Underworld. Live for the moment, you never know what the next will bring.
    We are all just a few heartbeats away from eternity. We push it out of our mind by keeping busy.

  15. #15

    Default

    How come I can't find any news on this in the Kodiak or the Anchorage newspaper or the CG District 17 press releases. My friends son is working for a goat guide in Kodiak and hasn't heard from him.

  16. #16
    Member dieNqvrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    486

    Default

    My guess is it is still under investigation from the troopers. I heard the story second hand and all details don't add up. Time will tell.

  17. #17
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    I just thought this would help bring out more information.
    Could help the next goat hunter.

  18. #18

    Default

    So how come we haven't heard any more of this incident? Did the gubmint put a gag order on the Coasties? Could not find it in the Troopers Dispatch Log either. hmmmm somthin' very sinister going on on the rock, me thinks.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    someone must know. Good, bad, ugly, please share!!!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Troopers certainly dont report ALOT in that daily DPS report, only when they happen to have time, I figure.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •