Thread: How do you Anchor your Snares?

Default How do you Anchor your Snares?

I am new to trapping, and am planning to run a line of snares to get started. So far, I have 12 5/64 snares and some anchors that have a 10" wire connected to a nut welded to a small metal tube cut at an angle on both sides. I am wondering how these will work in permafrost, and how I am supposed to drive them into the ground? Am I gonna need to carry a hammer around? Can I loop my snare around a tree?
    Any other new trapper advice would help, Thanks in advance.

You can fasten snares to trees/willows. Depends on what size animal your after. The cable stakes you describe might work some places. Depends on ground frost. You could also use regular metal stakes. They can be driven into partially frozen ground.
    Add cable to your snares if your going to loop around trees and brush.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

what me and my partner do is fasten a length of good stiff wire..nine wire for wolve snares and fourteen guage for fox and cat snares...to the snare using a ferrel and a crimpping tool or smashing nuts on them...then you can wrap that around a tree, and it is stiff enough to hold the snare up and u can bend it to position the snare however you want it...works real slick! pounding stuff into the ground in the winter time might start to get real hard....just my two cents!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

In fifty plus years of trapping I have never been on the line without an hatchet.Pound stakes cut notches cut flat spots to set a trap make sticks for cubbies and holes in ice. I think the hatchet is about the most important piece of equipment on the line and if you forget your traps you can make some with the hatchet.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

hey amigo..what does your love for your small hatchet have to do with the original posters question?
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

I was inquiring about the need to carry a hammer. I think he interchanged hatchet because it can be used as a hammer, amongst other things. Thanks for the thoughts guys.