Thread: bunny jerky

Default bunny jerky

I have been making jerky out of some of the bunnies we got this year. simple brine of

water
    salt
    soy sauce
    garlic
    worstishire sauce

dried in the dehytrator for 4-6 hours depending on size of the peices.

it turned out great!!

anybody else ever made jerky out of bunnies and have any good recipies??

Any chance you feel like giving out the measurements on those ingredients? I've been collecting bunnies to try tanning the hide and I got 4 more tonight I might try making jerky out of. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I use the thin slab of meat from the stomach/rib area of the rabbit. I save them up untill i have 5-10. For seasonings I use the high mountain mesquite available from Cabelas. Follow the directions that come with the kit. I let it marinate for 12 hours then add some teriyaki sauce. Enough to coat the meat then continue to marinate for another 12 hours. Move the meat around every couple of hours to make sure the teriyaki gets in all the nooks and crannies. I smoke my jerky at 150 for 1-2 hours. The thickness of the meat will dictate how long I let it smoke. You won't beleive it's bunny!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

I have never tried jerky, but I will shoot about 100 bunnies or so at the end of the winter, and make bunny breakfast sausage. I love that, but I might have to try this buuny jerky.

Good luck tanning those hides.....been there done that. I've never had one turn out worth a darn. I'd be interested to hear if you get one of those thin things to work. Good luck.

Good thread! I want to try that bunny jerky as well. Any other recipes?

Never tried it but we are heading out tomorrow morning with the intent of loading up the truck box with a few. Heading for "the" spot up North. If everything goes as planned I will be giving BOTH the jerkey and sausage Idea a tried. If anyone wants a few PM me and I will keep them cold for you...

Quote Originally Posted by akeman View Post
    I have been making jerky out of some of the bunnies we got this year. simple brine of

water
    salt
    soy sauce
    garlic
    worstishire sauce

dried in the dehytrator for 4-6 hours depending on size of the peices.

it turned out great!!

anybody else ever made jerky out of bunnies and have any good recipies??
    Grind your bunny meat and use it in your favorite meatloaf recipe. It is great.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I'm in the middle of making duck jerky right now, but have used the same recipe on bunnies as well, as well as any type of meat including ptarmigan.
    Worcestershire sauce
    a little soy
    hot sauce (siracha normally)
    garlic
    pepper
    salt
    cayenne

I'll soak my meat in saltwater for a day and rinse, then soak in a marinate for 1 day up to 2 day's before going in the dehydrator. thin pieces take a couple of hours thick over 5. I'll take a big duck breast like a mallard and slice it into 3 slices. This has tasted great on all of types of meat I have tried, but again it's jerky it always taste good.

Why hasn't this thread been moved to the Alaska Pantry sub-forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I took in 30# of boned out rabbit meat to Pioneer Meats & had Pioneer Slims (hunter sticks) made. It is very good. This is the second time I've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    I'm in the middle of making duck jerky right now
    Last time I tried that it turned out so bad that the dog wouldn't even eat it. By the time I finished that batch it soured me on duck. Its all about field care (and not punching a 2" hole through the middle of the bird).
    Use of product voids warranty.

Tried this reciepe a few weeks ago and loved it, THANKS! I've been wanting to make some more to give away as christmas presents but ever since the snow fell the bunnies are hiding much better than I am seeing! Oh well, maybe if I left the dog home they wouldn't all know I was coming a half mile before I got there!

sorry guys i have been out of town and super busy...

hear are the particulars for the recipie

I start with 1-2 lbs of hare meat. usally the backstraps cut 1/4 in thick across the grain

marinate in a ziplock bag overnight with

1.5 cups warm water
    2 tbs morton caning and pickling salt
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tbs worstishire
    3 tsp granulated garlic

mix spices with warm water and allow marinade to cool a bit, add meat and marinate overnight. (note. I have marinated this for only 30-60 minutes using a vacum bag or vacum marinade container and this worked good as well)

place meat on smoker racks (my racks have spaces that are too big so I use cookie drying racks instead) and smoke for about 3 hours. I use a big chief and when its colder than about 45 deg outside temp they don't seem to get hot enough to actually dry the meat in any reasonable time frame, so i finish in the dehydrator. you can try the liquid smoke instead but I feel the flavor is waaayyyy better by using the smoker instead. I am in the process of building a smoker that is insulated so I can use it all winter with out worring about the outside temp.

I have shared this jerky with many freinds that couldn't believe it was bunny!! my 9 year old daughter takes it to school and every body who can get past the mental block of eating "cute little bunnies" loves it. my daughter loves telling everybody about her bunny hunting experience and watching all the other "girly girls" (her words not mine) go eeww! you shot bunnies!!! to which she replies you bet!!

I have been grinding mine into burger this year. It works out great. People cant tell the difference. I was surprised how much fat comes out of the meet while cooking. No one has noticed they are eating bunny when it is made into chilly or other ground meet dishes. I even gave some to my bunny kissing tree hugging sister in-law. She ate the whole bowl had seconds commented about how good it was, then three days later asked if I had any more. I said you mean the bunny chilly you had and she nearly fainted. It was the funniest family times I can recall.

I figured taking the meat off the bones would be too much of a pain, do you have a secret on how you do that or just go at it with knife?

it is a bit time consuming I just go at it with the knife. it is surprising how much burger you can get out of one hare.

I was afraid of that! I'll have to give it a try though!