Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.1 oz sleeping pad!

Default 9.1 oz sleeping pad!

Well it looks FUNKY but it sure is light. I may have to cough up the hundred bucks for one...

http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/...er-klymit.html

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/prod...riaxframe.html

For twice the weight I like the insulated big agnes air core. http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Det...sulatedAirCore

I have the BA pad now and really like it, still I can't help but think the new pad would rock for summer hiking through Aug sheep. I picked up a smaller ultralight pack and a down bag recently and this combo would put my entire sleeping setup at under 3lbs and my whole solo camping setup under 5. Heck my new pack, 2 person shelter, sleeping bag, and pad would all come to 6.75lbs total, ready to hit the trail!!

not sure it would work for side sleepers.

When I want to shed weight off my big agnes pad I use the pad that came with my alpacka raft about 13 oz https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/in...D=76&do=detail shorter than the BA and not a warm.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Heck my new pack, 2 person shelter, sleeping bag, and pad would all come to 6.75lbs total, ready to hit the trail!!
    If you don't mind, what pack do you have?

Tim

Yeah, I'll stick to a real pad. The ground is still cold even in August!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aktroller View Post
    not sure it would work for side sleepers.
    was kind of my thought... they way i toss and turn I could hang myself in it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    was kind of my thought... they way i toss and turn I could hang myself in it.
    At least you're looking on the bright side of things.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    At least you're looking on the bright side of things.
    hey now... it still does not have as many holes as the inflatable you pack along...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I tried this pad out at the OR show this year. I was a little skeptical at first but was pleasantly surprised. I laid on it in every position possible and was always comfortable and no part of my body ever touched the ground. Pretty amazing actually. I was impressed.

I already have a 9 oz pad in the neo air. Sure its only the torso version but have about 15+ nights on it and it is plenty comfy. Also don't have to worry about being a side sleeping when there aren't any holes in the pad like the one mentioned above. The neo air works for my uses atleast. Much more comfy than a CCF pad, but granted not as warm. But for everything down the the mid 20s with my mid 20s rated down bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I already have a 9 oz pad in the neo air. Sure its only the torso version but have about 15+ nights on it and it is plenty comfy. Also don't have to worry about being a side sleeping when there aren't any holes in the pad like the one mentioned above. The neo air works for my uses atleast. Much more comfy than a CCF pad, but granted not as warm. But for everything down the the mid 20s with my mid 20s rated down bag.
    Not calling you little (don't want to offend your bro <grin>) but honestly if it is a torso pad for you it would be a pillow for me! I was going to pick up a neo air this year but think I will give this one a shot instead provided I can give it the floor test at REI.

HAHA..at 5'9 the short supports all but my knees. Heck the normal at 14 oz (full 1/2 lighter than a BAIAC pad of the same dimensions) would be an improvement if you are looking to shed some weight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    a torso pad for you it would be a pillow for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    would be an improvement if you are looking to shed some weight as well.

Luke? can we offer suggestions as to where to start?

meet on face book here

I was looking at trying one of these. Did you ever get it and if so what were your thoughts. Anyone else use one? Thanks for any info.
    Jason

My first thought was insulation. Lots of huge holes in there. Insulation is one of the primary functions of a pad. Then I saw it was designed to go INSIDE your sleeping bag, which theoretically would help maintain the bag loft underneath you.

However, as has been pointed out, as a side sleeper it might not work out very well for me. Might work well for some people. I always like to see these radical new ideas tested out before I buy.

I wound up with a neo air since I couldn't find one of the others to try out. I accidentally picked up the long version which is HUGE! Very comfortable and seems pretty durable so far but that's only with 14 days on it.

I've got the neo air all season long. I really wanted the extra 5 inches width. That thing is WARM...

What are these things called "sleeping pads" that you, my fellow hunters, speak of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast