Thread: First Caribou

Default First Caribou

Has anyone here taken a caribou prior to September, 1953? That's the year that I took mine up Hicks Creek, nine miles in from the highway, and I wonder whether I might be the first white man to take a caribou with a bow . . . . .

You mean any (white) man...any caribou....anywhere? I did a quick search and couldn't turn up anyone prior to '53. I'm not certain if Art Young or Saxton Pope took a caribou...I know they did moose, grizzly and sheep. My guess is there is someone out there (male caucasian) who killed a caribou with a bow between 1900 and 1945....but yet to be determined.

Still got that caribou? Congrats in any event! I'm proud, and I've never even met you!

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    You mean any (white) man...any caribou....anywhere? I did a quick search and couldn't turn up anyone prior to '53. I'm not certain if Art Young or Saxton Pope took a caribou...I know they did moose, grizzly and sheep. My guess is there is someone out there (male caucasian) who killed a caribou with a bow between 1900 and 1945....but yet to be determined.

Still got that caribou? Congrats in any event! I'm proud, and I've never even met you!
    Nope, neither Young nor Pope took a caribou while hunting in Alaka. I'm guessing that you have the book, "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope? That book got me started with archery, and even encouraged me to try my hand at "flint" arrowheads (per Ishi, last of the Yana Indians). Used the bottom of a Coca Cola bottle, a piece of caribou skin, and a caribou horn tip. WORKED GREAT! The arrowheads were only good for a single shot, though . . . . .

Didn't have the rack or head mounted. May have a photo or two around yet, but I'm not sure of that either.

Well I'll be dipped! Whether you are or aren't (first white guy to kill a caribou with a bow) your accounting is a good one. I'm guessing you've done some serious research already, and haven't turned up a single name that precedes yours in the caribou column. I may be alone, but I'd LOVE to see that picture if you can find it and get it digitized on to a computer. If you ARE the first...documenting such a feat is a very worthy endeavor! As a lifelong recurve and longbow hunter, I'm really intrigued. You ever consider putting the story in print?

Good for you, Grizzly. No white guilt in that! ;-]]
    Proud of and for you, Sir.

Taylor