Thread: Ice.

Default Ice.

In my weather research for my 100 plus days arctic venture this coming summer I have noticed a weather condition calleing for Ice. I know what snow, rain, sleet is but do not know what ice condition is. Could this be a alaskan term for freezing rain? Anybody know what this is?

Mingo

Sub-freezing with elevated humidity or precipitous moisture present where ice forms on surfaces. It may or may not be associated with precipitation, but often you have liquid rain coming down on sub-freezing ground level temperatures. It quickly freezes. It is a very dangerous condition in regards to aviation, but can really cause havoc with boats as ice forms on every surface making decks extremely slippery and adding lots of weight to the top of the boat.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thank you. I thought that it was something not pleasant. My boat and i will stay out of these conditions as much as possible and when confronted I guess a little chopping will have to be done. Thanks again for the info.

Mingo

Should also mention that depending on the context in which the term "ice" is used in the maritime field, it may refer to the presence of calved ice from a glacier on the water. There are many areas along the coastline near glaciers that get large injections of ice bergs as the glaciers dump it off. So, it does depend on where exactly you are seeing the term "ice" used.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

hey Bears unlimited could you tell us what or whom this research is for? I have spent extensive time (years) in the Beaufort breaking ice w/ boats and testing aluminum boats to see just how much ice they could power through, as well as messing w/ current meters, salinity levels and water temps, metering and marking (charting) channels from Camden Bay to west of the Colville Delta. I can't think of a square inch of water up there that hasn't been poked and prodded by at least 4 different environmental contractors as well as Western Geophysical banging hydro-accoustical gear over ever pebble of sand in the arctic. I'm pretty sure all the data is available w/ the exception of sensitive gas and oil reserves. Oh and if you want, I know theres lots of polar bear interaction thats well documented.
    Maybe I missed the purpose of your research in your other posts.

We use much of the research inhouse to help people understand Climate Change issues. In the coming months the science section of Bears Unlimited will be publishing articles within this area. These will be basic articles to help people understand climate issues and what they mean to all of us. We want to provide unbiased information, not politizied or slanted for an agenda. As a personal issue I do not believe in the concept of Global Warming. I do believe in Global Climate change. The planet is changing as it has done for millions of years. My concern is how much is caused by continuing change from the earth and systems that we do not as yet understand and what we, people, are causing. I believe that if given clear and helpful info people can make decent and informed decisions about climate change. What I fear is that if all the info comes from people that see climate change as a way to make lots of money we will have a crappy world will more polution and more ecological millionares. In short I do not want Al Gore or Limbaugh dictating the discourse on climate change. I would like to see scientists do this. Any help that I can give them is all that I would like to do.
    As for specifics. This is a continuous expedition starting in Hay River, pushing to the Beaufort Sea, Chukchi Sea, Bering Sea and up the complete course of the Yukon River. All of this territory to be traversed in one long 100 plus day manner. In the physical measurement areas I will be taking water temps at the surface, 10 feet and 50 feet along with surface temps. I will also like to take salinity measurements. These conditions will be recorded 3 times per day. USF&W is interested in these readings for the purpose of fisheries studies.
    I will be looking at 2 year and 5 year ice. Core samples will be taken with density and porosity measurements. All samples will be photographed and cataloged with GPS positions taken.
    As for polar bears I will do the same that I do with other bears, video, photograph them and observe them. From these we will be able to see the general health of individual aniamls within the Beaufort Sea subgroup.
    I agree many people have been there before me doing the same thing that I am doing. As you know things change dramatically in nature from year to year. The earth is a dynamic place to live. I hope to document some of these conditions.
    I am also working with an atmospheric scientist from the Univ of Colorado. He is working on a science package that would be useful to his area of study. I have a modest platform and some limits to time each day but will devote a fair amount of each day to data collection.
    All of the data that is collected will be given to all that would like it, free of charge.
    I would be remiss in not telling you that this is also a great adventure, 6000 miles in a 17 foot boat in the arctic. Huck Finn would be envious. This is my nature and I love the challenge.
    Please take a look at my educational childrens book series. This expedition will add to the knowlenge that I can share with kids too. just maybe we can see more kids interested in the real world that we live in and not so possessed by the video game world. If you have more specific questions please ask.
    I thank you for your help and interest. I think that there are at least 3 kinds of people on this earth. People that are part of the problem, people that are part of the solution and people that really just like to drink beer, watch football and not give a **** about any of this. Well I do fit into the last catagory somwhat but I want to be part of the solution. That is part of the reason that I do this. I guess that is why I was a Marine too. See the world with its exotic places and people and then blow them up. LOL. I just do not blow them up anymore. Oh and one other thing. The fishing on Great Bear and Great Slave will be awesome. And that will just be a little of the fun and enjoyment.

In the weather context that it was used in I think they were refering to your sub freezing ice condition. Calving of bergs is a condition that I will find further north as I get above Banks Island. Thanks again for the info. The more that I get from people like you the more i understand the region and its hazards. Thank you.

Western Geo??????

LOL. I worked for them for 1 season in the Coville River area. The wife used to joke around with the receptionist that I was isolated and couldn't get to the check book so that meant she got to do shopping sprees. They both thought that was hilarious.
    Thats where I learned caribou are curious and arctic fox with rabies really don't like spotlights.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Caribou, like other ungulates can be curious. I especially like hanging out with antelope and big horn sheep. They are quite curious about us. bears can be that way to but you must understand the why here. Are you the dinner or are they coming over for dinner?
    I am not working with any of the larger environmental organizations or media outlets. It may happen but not as of yet.
    Rabied arctic foxes display similar traits as to all rabid animals. They really dislike bright lights. In the Colville area, is there a large popluation of rabid foxes or just a few. How is the fishing on the Colville? That is aprime target for a fly or two for me. I will love the fishing on the north slope.

Western Geo?????

Why Western Geo???