Thread: 30 06 Load Advice

Default 30 06 Load Advice

I am sure this one has been hashed to death on here, but I searched back quite a few forum pages and did not see the info I was looking for.

My question is concerning 30 06 loads for my daughter to hunt with next year. I have a good load worked up with 57 gr H4350 under Speer 180 gr Mag Tips that is quite accurate. I think this would be a good load for anything from black bear to maybe moose with good shot placement, but?? Would I be better off working up a load with Nosler Partitions in 220 gr for an all around hunting round for max penetration? Shots would be 200 yards are less I am thinking. Seems I have read the 220 gr Partitions are deadly on game if one is limited to 30 06 (about the max recoil she can handle) for anything they might encounter up here. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the expert advice and opinions.

I went through the same process with my daughter. Go with 180 partitions, accubonds, or Etips. Less recoil, holds energy better and shoots flatter than the 220s. Still plenty of penetration on Alaska's game. Furthermore you may not need to change her load or sight in and if you do it will be less of a change than the 220.

Just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 375AIJGS View Post
    I went through the same process with my daughter. Go with 180 partitions, accubonds, or Etips. Less recoil, holds energy better and shoots flatter than the 220s. Still plenty of penetration on Alaska's game. Furthermore you may not need to change her load or sight in and if you do it will be less of a change than the 220.

Just my experience.
    My experience with 220 grains from my Minnesota white tail hunting is don't use em if you want to eat the deer. They distroy alot of good meat when they hit. Never had a moose or white tail that I couldn't drop with a 180 Grain 06. Pretty darn good round. Shot alot of black bear with it too and it did the job. You could maybe look at doing up some 165 gr boatails for her. I'm thinking of going down to that in my 06 as well.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    My question is concerning 30 06 loads for my daughter to hunt with next year. I have a good load worked up with 57 gr H4350 under Speer 180 gr Mag Tips that is quite accurate. I think this would be a good load for anything from black bear to maybe moose with good shot placement, but?? Would I be better off working up a load with Nosler Partitions in 220 gr for an all around hunting round for max penetration? Shots would be 200 yards are less I am thinking. Seems I have read the 220 gr Partitions are deadly on game if one is limited to 30 06 (about the max recoil she can handle) for anything they might encounter up here. Any suggestions?
    You'd be hard pressed to find a 180+ grain .30 caliber bullet that would not work on anything in NA for the purposes you state (30/06 under 200 yards). There is really not much to choose between them IME. Some will penetrate more than others, some will create larger wound channels than others, etc. The truth is that a 180+ grain bullet from a 30/06 simply kills animals with boring regularity if the shot is well placed. If you have a good load with the 180 Mag-Tip I'd stick with it.

If you want to use a 220 NPT, then go for it. It will normally penetrate more deeply than the Mag-Tip, but you'll find the Mag-Tip (even the plain vanilla Hot-Cor works perfectly in the '06--ask me how I know) will kill game (including bears & moose) just as dead and just as effectively with good shot placement. If you bump the velocity up (i.e. the various .30 caliber magnums) then different bullets may supersede the Mag-Tip, but in the '06 they'll do just fine.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Hey guys, thank you for the quick replies. My current load will put 3 of the Mag Tips in an inch at 100 regularly and is right at max charge for my rifle. I need to chronograph them to check velocity, but from the load book it should be up there out of a 24 inch barrel. Realistically, I would be her hunting partner and back up with a larger caliber so I might be set. All my game up here has been taken with a 338 win mag, but I too am under the impression that with reasonable range, the grand old '06 round would probably do about all I could ever ask of it.

Just a heads up. I have been out of State for 2 years and really missed the forum and all the expertise I have found here in the reloading section compared to some other sites I visit. This is a great forum!

Thanks again

I gave the 220 Partitions a pretty good wringing out in an 06 years ago, spending a lot of time on the range and taking a few head of game. In my experience they cost you in trajectory for the longer shooting, but hold together well once they arrive. I never shot game past 100 yards with it, and never recovered a bullet either.

Might be good for mastadons and charging cave bears, but I'm not convinced they're necessary for anything else. I whacked a departing 190 pound Columbia blacktail at the base of the tail at about 40 yards, and it went full length and exited the brisket. I whacked a Rocky Mountain elk in the left front shoulder at about 70 yards and the bullet exited the right ham. I'm not sure which 220 GrizzlyH was using on Minnesota whitetails, but I wouldn't accept that kind of performance either. With my shots using the Partition, you could "eat right up to the hole."

For my purposes, the 180 Partition does everything an 06 needs to do. It's not my go-to round, so I haven't shot as much game with it as a lot of other folks. One of my hunting pards has never owned anything else, and he's got an impressive house full of large trophies, including 22 species of antelope and non-dangerous game from an antelope-only safari to Africa. He's killed 5 brown bear with it over the last 30 years, too. I'd call him the real expert on the round. And he doesn't use anything but 180 grain factory loads.

With that good of a track record, I bet you would be hard pressed convincing him he needs one of the new wiz bang short, compact, or ultra magnums! Hard to argue that kind of success in the field which is the true test for a cartridges potential. I have a couple hundred Speer Grand Slam 180's as well as several hundred of the Mag Tips hoarded up before bullet prices incresed. I might try and work up loads for the G.S. and see if impact changes much from the Mag Tips. If not, I could load up both to cover about anything from range to hunting she would need in one convienient 50 round MTM box.

Default 06

Bob Hagel was an advocate of the 200GR NP in the 06 as a all around load.
    Check out his books and reasons.

I followed his advice, loading with a long drop tube, IMR 4350 or H4831 with his recommended loads. I expect Rl22 or RL 19 to work very well also.

Feeds great, shoots very accurately, consistent velocities on the chronograph.

Bullet holds together up close and retains more energy than 180 out far.

Sighted in 3 inch high at 100 makes for a center hold on moose to 425 yards or so.

Field testing includes Dall Sheep, Mtn Goat, Moose, Deer, Caribou Brown Bear in AK. I have at least three recovered bullets.

and some pigs in CA and HI.

I like it! Hope that helps.

I would stick to what you are using. It is a proven load in your rifle and as others have stated, the 180 at the speeds you are able to drive it is a good setup. I always used 180gr bullets of one form or another in my 06 when it was my go to gun, no good reason it isn't anymore just that I have so many other rifles to play with now, and I never ever had any issue with penetration when using a good constructed 180. I have shot deer stem to stern and elk through the slats as well as hogs big and small from any angle imaginable and very seldom recovered a bullet.
    I have since switched to 200gr bullets but only because for some reason in my rifle they cut group size in half.

I suggest the 180gr Part with 57.0 of IMR 4350............has been my load for many years in the O6. The hevier bullets tend to rob powder space in the case..........the 180gr a good balance of bullet weight and vel around 2700 FPS make a good combo! and not bad trajectory!
    Alaska

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have read quite a few articles and it seems that a 180 gr bullet going about 2700fps is the magic combination in the 06. From what I understand, most quality bullets will hold up reasonably well while also expanding at this speed. I will keep the Mag Tip loads and work up the same weight Grand Slams as well since they are listed in the same load data. I'm thinking either will be sufficient stoppers and between the two I have over 600!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have read quite a few articles and it seems that a 180 gr bullet going about 2700fps is the magic combination in the 06. From what I understand, most quality bullets will hold up reasonably well while also expanding at this speed. I will keep the Mag Tip loads and work up the same weight Grand Slams as well since they are listed in the same load data. I'm thinking either will be sufficient stoppers and between the two I have over 600!
    Sounds like you have it figured out. The Mag-Tips and Grand Slams should keep your family well fed.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.