Thread: Taking gun powder through Canada

Default Taking gun powder through Canada

I was wondering if anyone knows what the regulations are for transporting powder and or primers through Canada, if it is even possible at all. If so where is this information available? I think I remember someone telling me they have a limmit of 8 pounds of powder but I dont know if this remotely true at all. Also, how about loaded ammunition if I remember right pistol ammunition is not allowed but is there any restrictions on rifle ammunition? Any information would be greatly apprecaited. I wont be transporting any guns, only my reloading equipment.

Thanks

I wouldn't try it unless your into strip searching. Buy your powder here when you get here. Alot less grief.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Hey Shane, don't take my word for it, (look it up at Canadian Custums or Google) but I believe you are allowed 8 pounds of powder, about 5000 primers, and maybe 5000 rounds of loaded ammo. I just made the drive back up about 1 month ago and all was fine. They never asked about powder, primers, ammo and such. I did pay the $25 to bring 2 shotguns and 4 rifles through with me and that was more of a hassle than anything as you have to pull over and go inside for the 60 day permit. I have brought reloading components through about 3 times now over the last 5+ years and never had a problem. The question they ask, usually 2 or 3 times is 1. any handguns? 2. any peper spray?? 3. any other weapons?? Again don't take my word as I would hate for you to have a different experience. I had 4 adults in my party so I figured I was allowed more, but?? When it is buried under several thousand pounds of household goods in a cargo trailer! Then again, I would have felt rather foolish unloading said trailer and counting primers, powder and loaded rounds, have excess confiscated and end up on the Canadian banned forever list! I will just say I had built up quite a stock and did not want to have to sell it all off for next to nothing before moving back up so I took the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Hey Shane, don't take my word for it, (look it up at Canadian Custums or Google) but I believe you are allowed 8 pounds of powder, about 5000 primers, and maybe 5000 rounds of loaded ammo. I just made the drive back up about 1 month ago and all was fine. They never asked about powder, primers, ammo and such. I did pay the $25 to bring 2 shotguns and 4 rifles through with me and that was more of a hassle than anything as you have to pull over and go inside for the 60 day permit. I have brought reloading components through about 3 times now over the last 5+ years and never had a problem. The question they ask, usually 2 or 3 times is 1. any handguns? 2. any peper spray?? 3. any other weapons?? Again don't take my word as I would hate for you to have a different experience. I had 4 adults in my party so I figured I was allowed more, but?? When it is buried under several thousand pounds of household goods in a cargo trailer! Then again, I would have felt rather foolish unloading said trailer and counting primers, powder and loaded rounds, have excess confiscated and end up on the Canadian banned forever list! I will just say I had built up quite a stock and did not want to have to sell it all off for next to nothing before moving back up so I took the chance.
    It's when you don't declare it and then they decide to search your car that it gets ugly. Best to say what you have before it turns to an ordeal. Definetly check the boarder regs before you pack it tho.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Shane , here is the link. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5044-eng.html Look under firearms import. I would suggest a don't ask don't tell approach on the components.