Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Binocular harness/ chest strap?

Default Best Binocular harness/ chest strap?

Hi everyone-

I am interested in getting a good pair of binocular harnesses, and was wondering what you all thought worked well from your experience.

One type I have seen that was very disappointing to me as a product was the Butler Creek 'Bino Buddy' binocular strap, like they sell at Cabela's. For nearly $30 you get a new neck strap, and a piece of surgical tubing with clips on the ends. I wound up shipping this item back.

Any recommendations in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Take a look at the crooked horn outfitters model, I have been using them for years and I would not leave without it on my binos.

https://www.crookedhorn.com/index.ph...ca3dd2b07d6a41

Doug

I have the crooked creek system also and can't think of anything that would work any better.

Forum Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kaguyakguy View Post
    Hi everyone-

I am interested in getting a good pair of binocular harnesses, and was wondering what you all thought worked well from your experience.

One type I have seen that was very disappointing to me as a product was the Butler Creek 'Bino Buddy' binocular strap, like they sell at Cabela's. For nearly $30 you get a new neck strap, and a piece of surgical tubing with clips on the ends. I wound up shipping this item back.

Any recommendations in this regard?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    Have you checked out the Optech?
    A perfect solution for the outdoor enthusiast seeking a simple harness system for cameras or binoculars. The BINO/CAM HARNESS™ self-adjusts to comfortably balance gear while in use or in the idle position against the body. The unique loop attachment system enables the harness to quickly snap in place. Its simple design and great price are sure to win approval! The elastic version allows your camera or binoculars to be held tighter against the body. While still allowing the camera or binoculars to be brought up to the eyes for use.
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Thumbs up thanks!

Thanks guys, you found exactly what I was looking for.

I noticed that Doug sells the Op/tech model, so I just ordered one from his website.

Op/tech makes great stuff - I have one of their neoprene camera cases. They also make a similar neoprene binocular case which looks like a useful product for protecting a pair of binos too.

Quote Originally Posted by kaguyakguy View Post
    Thanks guys, you found exactly what I was looking for.

I noticed that Doug sells the Op/tech model, so I just ordered one from his website.

Op/tech makes great stuff - I have one of their neoprene camera cases. They also make a similar neoprene binocular case which looks like a useful product for protecting a pair of binos too.
    Post your initial comments on this item if you would-- including delivered price, Kaguyakguy. I've use crooked horn's product for years (they are great) but would like to know if there is something less expensive.

It sounds like everybody really likes the services and products Doug's laying out.

Frank

Sure, I will let you all know when I get it/ how it works, etc.

The Op/tech model from Doug was actually $5 more ($24.99 - black) than the Crooked Horn Outfitters model ($19.99 - black, or $24.99 - camo).

I went with the Op/tech model because I like their other products, and it gave business to Doug, who is a forum sponsor. I might have just as easily bought the other one if I made the decision based on $$ only.

Let us know how you like them, my Crooked horns have seen alot of miles and will need replacing at some point.

Doug

Crooked Horn. Comfortable and it works.

I do a lot of hiking and crawling with my binos so I prefer the Bino Manager from IPI. I couldn't find a link to IPI's web site but here's a link to show you what they look like: http://www.archerywarehouse.com/binoaccess.htm. It keeps the binos tight to your chest if you're leaned over while hiking up hill or climbing on your hands and knees.

I've used the swarovski suspenders for years, and am sold on that style of harness. Takes away the neck strain and keeps the binos close at hand when not in use.

Thumbs up

Today my package arrived with the new binocular harness. I ordered the Op/tech model from the forum sponsor, CameraLand, and they treated me great. I am really happy with the purchase also.

The Crooked Horn and Op/tech models are pretty much identical, both have elastic straps and quick release buckles to remove the binoculars. Other models mentioned like the Eagle Optics and Swarovski models are the same basic design also.

This product is exactly what I was looking for. I hike a lot with binoculars, sometimes up to 7-8 miles a day. Since I had abdominal surgery a couple years ago, it is especially bothersome to have the binoculars bouncing and hitting me in my stomach.

Get a NIMROD bino system, very comfortable, put's the others to shame!...K

the harness i use was 17.95 and free shipping better than anything i have used and paid almost twice as much for. it's comfortable and hasn't stretched out like past harnesses

i got it from http://www.mybinocularharness.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nova88 View Post
    the harness i use was 17.95 and free shipping better than anything i have used and paid almost twice as much for. it's comfortable and hasn't stretched out like past harnesses

i got it from http://www.mybinocularharness.com
    hey thanks nova88 i bought that harness you suggested from http://www.mybinocularharness.com

I got it a few days ago, took it out scouting today, it's awesome! thanks for the suggestion.

I had the crooked horn style in the past. I found that it was impossible to set it in a manner that would keep it tight to my chest for hiking and still allow me to hold them up to glass for extended periods of time without fighting the strap which makes the bino's seem heavier than they are. I finally went w/ a bino pouch, more money but a better product. I just keep the bino's strapless and stored in the pouch, take em out to glass and drop them back in when I am done.

I have a question: Do any of the previously mentioned systems keep your bino's tight to the chest while allowing you to pull them to the eyes for viewing and then go back to the chest?

Basically there is trade off. With elastic bands you can get a fairly tight fit but then will have to pull against the elastic to bring them to your eyes. This is very tiring for extended glassing! If you loosen it enough for comfortable glassing then you have tighten it back up when you start hiking again.
    The pocket style w/ regular non elastic nylon straps has two options. I prefer to just toss the loose binos in the pouch w/ no straps. You can also set them in the pocket with a regular neck strap hooked to them in a manner that the binos are supported by the pocket fully and the neck strap connected to them is just there in case you drop them. The nice thing about these systems is they usually have more pockets and they don't bounce around very much at all. Mine holds my Binos, lens pen, GPS and Cell phone all in easy reach. There is also room for a small hare in distress call or something similar like a bic lighter. They also tend to offer more padding for your gear and cover them better.
    I may be a bit biased but I much prefer the pouch style. I like th alaska guide creations chest pack even though the guy is not actually an alaskan, the Chest pack still rocks! http://alaskaguidecreations.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    I have a question: Do any of the previously mentioned systems keep your bino's tight to the chest while allowing you to pull them to the eyes for viewing and then go back to the chest?
    With my swaro straps, yes. I have a different brand of harness on my Minox binos, and I don't like them nearly as well as the swaro straps.

Thanks to all for the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast