Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Question...

Default Suppressor Question...

Fellow gun-freaks, I have a suppressor question for you. I have a Ruger SR-556, and I'd like to get a suppressor for it. I've heard that a lot of guys buy a .308 suppressor and use it on multiple guns, including their AR-15s. First, does a .308 suppressor mounted on a 5.56 rifle work as well as a 5.56 suppressor? If not, how much noise reduction and/or accuracy is sacrificed by doing this? Second, what suppressor brand/model do you recommend, and why? Also, for the sake of not creating another thread, what suppressor do you recommend for a Springfield XD .45ACP? Thanks!

Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Zort-Em View Post
    Fellow gun-freaks, I have a suppressor question for you. I have a Ruger SR-556, and I'd like to get a suppressor for it. I've heard that a lot of guys buy a .308 suppressor and use it on multiple guns, including their AR-15s. First, does a .308 suppressor mounted on a 5.56 rifle work as well as a 5.56 suppressor? If not, how much noise reduction and/or accuracy is sacrificed by doing this? Second, what suppressor brand/model do you recommend, and why? Also, for the sake of not creating another thread, what suppressor do you recommend for a Springfield XD .45ACP? Thanks!

Barron
    Why, do you hunt without a license alot?
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

First, does a .308 suppressor mounted on a 5.56 rifle work as well as a 5.56 suppressor?
    No but doubtful you can tell the difference. I use a 30 caliber can on both 308 and 6.5x55

Second, what suppressor brand/model do you recommend, and why?
    I personally use (as do several of our customers) the Thunderbeast Titanium cans. We also sell the Surefires and the folks that buy them like them too. They have QD capability, whereas the TBACs do not.

Also, for the sake of not creating another thread, what suppressor do you recommend for a Springfield XD .45ACP?
    AWC, Gemtech, Bowers......

Is it illegal to hunt with a can?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Not sure in Alaska, but illegal to even own one in Minnesota as far as I know.

Not sure if that was a serious or rhetorical question...

I believe it's legal in alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not sure if that was a serious or rhetorical question...

I believe it's legal in alaska.

Me too. Plus its courteous

Yeah but Al Franken would be illegal up here

Yeah but Al Franken would be illegal up here
    lol.......another way to look at it is, depends on what your hunting.........lol

Gotcha. And agree with being courteous. But jumping through the hoops and coughing up the dough has put me off, so far.

It is legal to hunt suppressed in AK but not in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I'd move then.

Dont waste your time with the 45. A 9mm platform will be much more quiet. Been ther done that.

Rifle cans are generally more quiet with their specific cailber.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Dont waste your time with the 45. A 9mm platform will be much more quiet. Been ther done that.

Rifle cans are generally more quiet with their specific cailber.
    Please.....most all 45acp ammo is sub sonic .......quite has noting to do with caliber.

Most rifles (unless specificly built for it) will not shoot subsonic ammo worth a damm. The main reason for a can on a rifle is to be able to shoot without hearing protection......The sonic crack is still loud....unlike the movies

the problem with the 45.acp pistol round is that it is a bigger caliber round passage through the suppressor baffle system out through exit hole in the suppressor exit hole to allow more gas to ecaspe from the exit of the bullet passage out of the suppressor ..

in basic laymen terms the bigger the round the harder it is to suppress to a acceptable level of noise reduction of the round that is beening used ..

most of the 45.acp pistol caliber platforms are run wet to quiet the round down a lot to more acceptable level of noise reduction of the gunshot when it pass out of the supperssor to the person hearing better when it run wet ..also most of the 45.acp pistol suppressor are run with a recoil boster system to help with the slide cycleing of the operation of the pistol .

that why most 45.acp cal pistol who run a suppressor on them will use a wet base system to quieten the round down as it passage through the suppressor ..i use a YHM Cobra M2 take apart suppressor system with a recoil booster system with the unit is design to be taken apart and cleaned and the recoil booster system can be interchange with other calibers pistol booster system to use diff pistol platforms ..

when it used with a wet type suppressor and a large heavy caliber round to make a perfect weapon system platform ..

one of the rounds i use for a 45.acp caliber weapon is a 300.grain heavy wieght 452 caliber hollow point to run in the 1911 pistol platfrom for special duty use as it need ..

the small the caliber the better the noise suppresson of the round ..the 22.lr caliber is one of the quietest of all rounds that is suppressored in a pistol caliber weapon system

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Please.....most all 45acp ammo is sub sonic .......quite has noting to do with caliber.

Most rifles (unless specificly built for it) will not shoot subsonic ammo worth a damm. The main reason for a can on a rifle is to be able to shoot without hearing protection......The sonic crack is still loud....unlike the movies
    Please...9mm cans with 147 grain subsonics are consistently quieter that 45 acp cans with 230 grain subsonics. Try it. Ive compared them side to side with my own extensive NFA collection.

Quite has to do with many variables: the volume of the can, baffel design, amount of powder burnt, volume of gas expansion, the relationship of the bullet diameter to the exit hole, etc. Sure, in theory you could make a can with the volume of a large room, then the 45 would be quieter, but hardly practical.

Sonic crack is pretty minimal if you are sitting behind the rifle. The only can I have even remotely close to hollywood quite is a gemtech outbackII with subsonics. Lapua 308 subsonics throught the thunderbeast 30 p-1 are spooky quiet. My rifle stabilizes them just fine. Easy one inch groups.

Just real world experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    That's uncalled for. There are many legitimate uses for a can and they are perfectly legal in this free state. Nobody gives a crap what's not legal in more communist states.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Nobody gives a crap what's not legal in more communist states.
    That's uncalled for too.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's uncalled for too.
    But it is the "Alaska shooting forum."

I want/need one of those Surefire suppressors for a black rifle project of mine. I'd like to look at one as I have not seen one in person yet.

Stop wwg's. I think they have a 338 lapua on display with a surfire can

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Stop wwg's. I think they have a 338 lapua on display with a surfire can
    We do have one, maybe more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast