Thread: Moose Sheds

Default Moose Sheds

Looking for information on where to start seaching. If you have any idea or can think of good location let me know.

They are by the pig barns on Craigs list I think............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Alot of moose in the point mckenzie area and also off of the Big Lake road in some areas out by Houston. Could check those areas out. Hatcher Pass road on the Willow side can be good too.

it might be a tad early to go looking...

fish and games sez.... Antlers from mature bulls are shed as early as November, but mostly in December and January. Young bulls may be seen with their antlers as late as April.
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...game/moose.php

we have bulls in our yard every winter and it seems more like january to me. the best antler hunting i've seen is in the early summer after the snow melts up in the mountains right around treeline. also you might get lucky in the wintering grounds for moose. good luck cheerios12.

The trick is to find em before the mice and shrews do. They eat em for the protein.

i was too slow to edit the post above but i made a door knob out of a moose shed i found for the cabin. I think its pretty cool, your mileage may vary. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios12 View Post
    Looking for information on where to start seaching. If you have any idea or can think of good location let me know.
    you have a couple parks in anchorage that have good moose populations... Kinkade??? i think is one... you want to find the area's around there they hung out in during the rut. up on the hill there behind eagle river is another good spot.. Ft rich if you can get on it... ship creek valley.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We left a real beauty lying right near the headwaters of Ship Creek. Its a bit of a hike, but there's ptarmigan up there, too.

I found 13 sides in the last month while Rabbit hunting in the willows. I trade 'em to carvers and artists. If i go before it really snows, Ill usually find 2 or 3, then they get buried. Maby half are mouse chewd and such, but carvers use 'em anyway.

No0thing like white bunnies and brown willows, the sheds are always a bounus
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Too early eh? This must be a figment of my imagination then or one odd looking cow...(taken about 10 minutes ago)

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

looks more broken too me...there is a stubb....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Yea I thought so too, but to get my flash to work I was within 10-15 feet of him. It's a horn growing back.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

It's not broke off, so it may be all he has? For arguments sake here is another shot.....not the best....

I was just wondering about this as I see in the Regs book for this winter, an area 9E opening for One "Antlered Moose" that runs from Dec 1- Jan 20,

So, is that a race against the Shed? or are they shedding apparently in late Jan down on the Peninsula?Or, maybe it's just a form of slowing the harvest a bit, younger ones even holding on til April?

Seemed strange, having just read some of this thread so, what are your experiences with that? Worth cruising down there to hunt if all/most/ or some(?) of the bulls are losing their Antlers by early Dec??

Haven't lived in Moose country for a long time, so have no idea, Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thank everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Default my experiences

I've shot big bulls, 60"+ and mid 50's in mid to late Dec. I've found fresh sheds from big bulls the day after Christmas. My experiences are that big bulls will start shedding in late Dec but some can still be found in Jan. I've never seen a bull with shed antlers before Dec.
    I have seen small bulls, spike forks, with antlers still into Apr. But most are done well before that.

9357.jpg8759.jpg

It's a spike! Shoot!

LOL! Mallard...He was here again today and he in fact has a nub..maybe a product of some close inbreeding....who knows!....(grin) I just found it funny I had a little guy in my yard with one horn and this conversation pops up.....Too bad the "experts" didn't find it as ironic/humorous....

boy i bet it would be impossible to find that little guys shed knub....i found a tiny caribou antler once...it was about 3 inches long and an inch tall....if i were still on the animal i would have came straight up out of the head for about an inch them a 90 degree turn straight back for about three inches and had two tiny little bumps on the end
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"