Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks- lost male black lab

Default Fairbanks- lost male black lab

My 12 year old "Mr. Man" wandered away from the house Sunday evening. We live off of Chena Pump, off of Shanks Mare. He does not move very fast, and is for the most part deaf, but if he is still mobile, at this point, could be about anywere up or down Chena Pump, or up on the hill above Chena Point or Roland Rd.
    Dumb me, when I walked out of the garage about 11pm I did not latch the door tight. When I went back 1/2 hour later or so the door was open, and he was gone. Man am I kicking myself.
    He is about 75lbs, well built, a bit sway backed due to age, and gray faced. He was wearing a green collar with a tag that had 2 phone numbers on it. They were legible the last time I looked.
    I have checked with animal control and placed ads on classified sites. They do have my contact info if he is found.
    I'd sure like to know one way or the other what has happened. Sucks to not have a clue.
    Thx folks,
    ARR
    Attached Images Attached Images

ARR, Sorry to hear about Mr. Man. If you need help looking let me know, I would be willing to drive around and help look. I know I sure love mine and would stop at nothing to find them if they became lost.

I hope he comes home soon.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I sure hope he is found soon. Once we had an old black lab show up - he was deaf and though, mobile, had a hard time of it. We kept him for a day or so and the owner showed up. Turned out the old boy lived just a short ways from us (less than 1/8 mile)...

Prayers for the 'ol man.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Just saw a post on my facebook page that you had lost your dog. Hope you find him.

Default still looking, still waiting for Chance to show up.

Thanks for the offer Steve. I've got no idea where to look at this point. Yesterday afternoon till dark there were at least 4 different vehicles driving up and down roads, peeking into brush, fencerows, and construction sites, and talking to neighbors.
    I've met some good folks along the way by knocking on doors and catching people in their yards.
    I took a 2 hour lunch and posted more signs and walked through some more yards. I've got to believe that in his current condition he would not be "boony stomping". He is plenty strong to walk around open ground and trails, but he'd get pretty tired jumping over logs and crawling through brush. He'd take the path of least resistance. I'm telling you, there are lots of those "paths" around. I try a different direction each time I walk.
    I've done this before about 23 years ago. Friends were caring for my 2 labs and they took off. We got the one back, but never found anything of the other. I looked for months. The tough thing is just not knowing what happened.
    I have not given up yet. It is amazing what animals can endure, and with the warm weather, I feel we still have an honest chance of finding him.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

May be a weird suggestion but if you have liquor stores, mini marts, post office, bar make sure to get flyers there. Oddly thats where Alaska Dog News is picked up the most, where an owner saw a notice that I had his dog, any place where people gather. Put a big poster on your truck, and if there is any traffic where you are looking put up big signs. You can see what a group in Seattle did here. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...4.html&h=d398b

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Also if you have another dog or a friend's dog try getting him interested in Chance's blankets or a toy, something that smells like him. I had one of my dogs track the other to a 1/2 mile away and found her safe though that was within a 1/2 hour. They don't necessarily have to be "tracking" dogs. Regardless another dog will smell another dog should Chance be unable to get up for some reason. Good luck.

We had a husky get loose when I was a kid. She took off and had been gone about a day when dad decided to turn out our Shepard. Sure enough about an hour later he came running back into the yard with her. Unfortunately she jumped the reinforced fence and was never seen again.

Well keep our eyes out!!!!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

good luck greg.. yell if you need help
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Jeeez Greg, bad news. I wish you had called me. I've spent more time out in the neighborhood (not too far from you) looking for my fence jumpers than I care to recall. I know how you must feel and I'm very sorry I wasn't there to help you. I think someone has him and they are still wondering what to do. Call the vets as well. Call me if you haven't found him yet and I'll get out there and help you. Actually I'll just go right now anyhow.

For others, and for Greg in the future...put your tele number on the collar. I have brass name plates with my address and two phone numbers and the word "REWARD." I also put my cell phone in large numbers on the blaze orange collars with a permanent marker. So far no one has taken me up on the reward. Had one person once call me and try and negotiate a reward over the phone and make threatening comments. I told them how they don' t know me, who I am, or what I'm capable of, and if they hurt my dog I would hunt them down and...well, lets just say I would not be happy with them.

I'm out of here. If I find the dog I'll call you Greg.

Jim

Default Thanks folks

Started printing flyers to place in mail boxes and paper boxes last night and ran out of ink. Go figure, just can't seem to catch a break. Did get about 150 flyers out, and did another route, getting home close to 1am.
    I'm printing more now and hope to get them out before work. That will help anyway.
    Through this I've thought about putting together a plan on what people can do if their dog runs away. There seems to be good ideas coming from everybody, and even though most of them I thought about, there have been some points made that I just did not see coming.
    For instance, Animal Control uses www.petharbor.com to show the animals they bring in. You still should call them, but you can go on line and look to see what is going on. Flyer's in mailboxes should have happened at least 2 days ago. It had never crossed our minds. Posters need to be BIG, and a picture is always better. There are lots of classified sites to post ads on. Dog groups are good places to get information out. 3CBRS has been awesome sending our info during this time.
    Even this forum is huge. People offering to help, out of the blue, just because they care about neighbors (and dogs). WOW.
    If people want to take a drive, or a walk, I'd say anywhere from Chena Point north to Roland Rd, maybe even those small roads north of Roland too that dead end. He used to head up in the hills, but I just don't know if he has the endurance to do that now, so I've looked all the way up Chena Hills to the Ridge. I have not yet hit all of the roads at the top of Chena Point, but should get there tonight, and will add flyers there too.
    Pretty darn awesome to even think about how people will come out to help like this.
    Years ago, when he ran off, mostly on Lynn, I finally got tired of it and had him snipped. When he came to after surgery, I whispered in his ear, "that was the smallest part I could take, I suggest you don't run away again or the next part will be bigger."
    And he stayed home. Until Sunday.

Greg, I mostly checked my side of the Parks last night. I never saw any dogs at all. Could be someone has him. I dunno. I do know it rocks my world when one of mine gets away from the wife and jumps the fence. My dogs are like my children, and anyone else's dogs are like children to me as well; there's no stopping until you find 'em.

Really wishing you luck with finding your friend. Call me at 590-7118 if I can help.

Jim

Let me know if you want help searching for Chance or getting flyers out this weekend, Greg. Know what it's like to lose a dog & the not knowing is the worst. Just hope & pray someone found Chance -- people often don't even think to call Animal Control when finding dogs. He's posted on Alaska's List - http://alaskaslist.com/?cityid=0&cat...s&search=lost:

PetHarbor also has a postcard printing/mailing service for a fee & the FAQ/instructions are at http://petharbor.com/LPP_FAQ.htm It looks like the minimum order is 500 postcards @ $399 and they're mailed from Santa Cruz, Calif.

Am keeping fingers & toes crossed that he's home soon!

Karen

Default Possible sightings of the Old Man

Monday, Cormorant and Dolphin, which is the west side of Chena Marina.

Wednesday, Dolphin and Chena Point which is the South West corner of Chena Marina.

Nothing concrete, but sure better than not hearing a thing.

I'd guess all in all we've been through that area 15 to 20 times, minimum. None of us ever saw a black anything. We'll keep at it though.

Also had a possible off of Chena Small Tracts and Prospect, but she thinks the dog was really too young and moving too quickly. I'll swing by that area as it is not out of the realm of possiblity, and only about 2 miles away.

Default Updates on Chance

A couple of more possible sightings, but so far, no luck. All of these sightings are from the top of Chena Ridge, not far from Isberg.
    Friday nights report came in from the Basin Rd, Snowflake Road area.
    Sunday we got a report off of Chetana, down at the first left which is Sunburst. Sunburst and Jeans Way hit Chetana right next to each other and are dead ends.
    Last night, after my wife and I spent a combined 4 hours up there, we got a call from Isberg that a dog matching the description was seen Saturday.
    So if you are near the ridge, keep your eye out up there, will you?
    Last night one of my loops took me down Snowflake. Around the corner walking toward me was a gray beard lab. My heart jumped, and then realized that there was not enough white on the face. As it got closer I saw it was a chocolate. I stopped the truck, shown my flashlight on her, and she chased the beam. So I got out, and she was really friendly and had a tag. The door of the truck was open, she looked in, so I asked if she wanted a ride and yep, got in like she owned the truck.
    Took her to the address on the collar and called the number. The lady was happy for her to be back. I wanted to growl at her and tell her all sorts of things, but I just let the dog out, explained why I was on the road, and left. Sure hope that sweet little lab does not wander too far.
    Tonight I'll hit Peregrine and the subdivisions north of Isberg. I'm running on empty though. It is harder and harder to find the energy to get out and look. I've got to leave town Thursday afternoon and hope to have some resolution by then. Man, this sucks swamp water.

Keep at it Greg, but I'm guessing someone has your dog. I'll go up there this morning after daylight and take a look around. Best of luck.

Jim

Dang!!! He sure looks like a good ol boy,, sure hope you find him,, I know what your going through.
    Got my fingers crossed for you and him.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    Let me know if you want help searching for Chance or getting flyers out this weekend, Greg. Know what it's like to lose a dog & the not knowing is the worst. Just hope & pray someone found Chance -- people often don't even think to call Animal Control when finding dogs. He's posted on Alaska's List - http://alaskaslist.com/?cityid=0&cat...s&search=lost:

PetHarbor also has a postcard printing/mailing service for a fee & the FAQ/instructions are at http://petharbor.com/LPP_FAQ.htm It looks like the minimum order is 500 postcards @ $399 and they're mailed from Santa Cruz, Calif.

Am keeping fingers & toes crossed that he's home soon!

Karen
    Don't trust a call to animal control. Go there and take a look for yourself. I had a dog get loose and we spent 4 days looking for him and calling each day to animal control with no luck. Finally we had to make a run to the dump and stopped by animal control next door to it. We talked with the front desk for a few minutes then went back and sure enough there was our dog. We chatted up the girl in the back and she said he had been there a few days and was "just a joy"!! I can't even begin to think what would have happened to our pet if he we had not made the decision to actually go there in person.

Default Another night on the road

Well, sent notes to all the radio stations, and made another 75 fliers, this time with his photo on it. Worked late, voted, then headed to the hills. Did find a nice cross fox, but no old lab looking for a warm bed.
    Neat deal, this lady named Mary calls. She says she lost 2 dogs, the recent one a chihuahua, and got it back, even though it was winter. So as she calls, she heads over to a picture of Chance hanging on a post, takes a good look, and says she'll start looking. She asks lots of questions, and hangs up. Next thing I know is she calls back and describes a dog to me. Nope, wrong one, so she says ok, I'll keep looking.
    A person I never met took the time to spend well over an hour out looking for my dog. Can you imagine? I am humbled.
    Jim, thanks for heading out there also. I'd guess I had at least 4 people out looking today while I was at work.
    I stopped by Animal Control today. My wife was there yesterday. A friend was there twice last week. Keep in mind to look at the DOA file if you have to go in. They catalog dead animals that are brought in, but do not post them on www.petharbor.com.
    Tomorrow I'll call all the vets, get their e-mail, and send a flier with his photo to post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast