Thread: Ferry a boat to Kodiak

Default Ferry a boat to Kodiak

Does anyone have any experience taking your boat to Kodiak on the ferry? I have a 28' boat that I want to take over there and I am thinking it would be safer and maybe even a little cheaper than crossing the gulf from Homer

When I done some checking a few years ago they charge by the overall length and if over legal width they add on 25%. It was way too expensive for what I was wanting to do. You can get on the Alaska Marine Hwy web site and you can figure the cost on line.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I live in Kodiak and bought a 24 foot hewescraft and brought it over on the ferry. You will need to do what the ferry calls a double shuffle. This means you and your vehicle are to long for the lift on the ferry. You will need to back your boat and trailer onto the lift, unhook your vehicle and have either someone else hook up to your boat and park it inside the ferry or you can do what I did. Pay one of the small semi trucks at the terminal to hook up to your trailer in the cargo hold and park it for you. You then put your vehicle on the lift and put it on the ferry. You will need to reverse the process to get your boat and car off of the ferry in Kodiak. I hope this is understandable it is a headache if you do not know this before hand like me. I found out after I got to Homer and had to scramble to get the boat on and off the ferry. The marine hwy office did not tell me about this; however, they helped out after they found out I did not know. I hope this helps, was worth the hassle.

Good description by KodiakOceanPro. My brother did the double shuffle with my boat in Homer, and a friend of mine and I did it here in Kodiak. If you'd like help here in Kodiak instead of paying someone else, PM me. If our schedules match, I could help you shuffle on this end.

When are you wanting to come over? The Tusty isn't running again from Homer to Kodiak till around the 2nd week of Dec. Tusty is pulled from the sked for maintenance, and the Kennicott is being pulled to the SE to cover another ferry's sked.

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. That would be awesome if you could help me out HuntKodiak, I wouldn't be coming over until late next fall at the earliest.