Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nelchina Bou/Denali Hwy Updates- Reports

Default Nelchina Bou/Denali Hwy Updates- Reports

I dont care to hear about all the unethical hunters, rants, feel good stories, etc. I've read all I call to read about this hunt/harvest/cull/subsistence or whatever you want to call it.

Just looking for Highway conditions on both sides of the Denali, Parks, Glenn Rich hwys etc, as well as general bou movements if possible - Success, Failures etc

Reports only please, thanks

PM if you dont want to share with the world and I understand if you dont.

Scott

You can check highway conditions on the Denali from my wife Jennifer. She is at mile 68, right center between Paxson and Cantwell. Her number is 907-743-0565. You can also check with Maclaren River Lodge at mile 42. The DOT 511 is also a good source. As far as harvests, seems to be good throughout the highway. I know they are still driving today, but there was some snow yesterday and last night, but only a few inches so far.
    Good Luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I made a sleep deprived mad dash up there with a buddy Wednesday afternoon. Got to the denali highway area with very little shooting light left and a handful of vehicles cruising the highway. We found one herd and got up to about 250 yards and ran out of light. Thursday morning there were probably around 120 animals in the same area and couldn't close the gap with all the eyes/ears out there and the time crunch to get back to work that evening. This all happened within a couple of miles of tangle lakes about a mile off the highway.

We saw some guys jumping out of a truck somewhere between paxson and sourdough jumping out of the truck quickly with rifles, but they were headed into some thick stuff.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Alpine creek reporting 4 inches and growing over night...

Alpine Creek Lodge Alaska Been snowing at the lodge all day! 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground for a total of 5-6 inches. It is still snowing so will give another report tomorrow. Let the fun begin!!

6 hours ago Comment
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Had a friend call me last night about 9:30 from just getting in from his second trip up. He hunted the first ten miles of the Denali on the Paxsen side and he said the hunting is diffently drying up. Seen alot less animals then he did last weekend. He was surprised on how many road hunters in mid week too. He said when he left it was a blizzard. I got calls from Lake Louise area yesterday and I guess there are more animals crossing then weeks past plus one guy popped a shot off at a wolf that was stalking a caribou. He missed but then shot the caribou. The animals are spread out now thru the entire LL road. Be safe and good luck!

Thanks for the updates. If anyone is going in from Cantwell or got back from Cantwell side please post conditions. I'm planning on taking the wife up on Sunday through Monday to try and fill her tag and proxy tag. Hoping to still be able to drive a truck down the road and use the Ranger. Forecast indicates the "weather" should be clearing up so this might be the last opportunity to get vehicles down the road. Any updates will be appreciated.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

If anyone finds Luke's Iphone I bet he'd put up a reward for it! We figure it's only about a mile off the highway, by some caribou.

We did receive a few inches of snow yesterday and last night. The snow has stopped, and people are still driving in and out. Of course, travel is at everyone's own risk, but if you are traveling in, you can call Jennifer at mile 68 for the latest update. We have employees heading in via a truck this afternoon, so she can give you a good report then. If you see my 1 ton dodge dually in the ditch, please let me know!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Looking to take my wife out for her first Alaska hunt thats right I married a texan and brought here to the real GREAT LAND.
    Heading out Sunday any suggestions were to go not bring a atv just my Suv and a rifle. You can PM me if you like. Thanks for any info....

Dont forget a sled to drag him in and make life easy. Remember the first 5 miles on the paxon side are closed. We went up past Paxon towards Delta and found them crossing the road before summit lake. If you get some elevation you see them coming and the its just a matter of how close you want them from the road. We picked our second one up on the way home south of paxon lake in the big gravel parking lot on the left as your headed north. good luck and also take waders for creek crossings

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    Dont forget a sled to drag him in and make life easy. Remember the first 5 miles on the paxon side are closed. We went up past Paxon towards Delta and found them crossing the road before summit lake. If you get some elevation you see them coming and the its just a matter of how close you want them from the road. We picked our second one up on the way home south of paxon lake in the big gravel parking lot on the left as your headed north. good luck and also take waders for creek crossings
    Fielding lake is also another good spot to get them coming down.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Planning on going to the Lake Louise area to get my newphew his first caribou. Hopefully we'll get lucky, he is pretty jazzed. Been out of town for the last week so I am out of the loop on where the main herd is. Anyone know if there is good numbers in that area?

Thanks

Default How tough is an Iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    If anyone finds Luke's Iphone I bet he'd put up a reward for it! We figure it's only about a mile off the highway, by some caribou.
    So now we get to find out if Apple built their Iphone half as tough as Holiday prints their gas receipts?

Another option for info that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is to call F&G's Nelchina Hotline at 907-267-2304

And while you're using those unlimited Alaska minutes on your cellphone, call NOAA and get the best weather report available anywhere, statewide, at 907-266-5145 (follow their online prompts to get the forecast for your specific area).

Left Palmer at 6a.m, got to L.L. cut-off around 8. Road was O.K., little slick beginning around Eureka. Took the wife and Kiddos and the Family mascot, (a dutch hound) best huntin partner I ever had. Hit major fog at L.L. cutoff but drove in anyway slowly. Didn't see nothing but the line of taillights in front of us. Got to the end and slowly drove out. Didn't get to serious about glassing as I couldnt see much anyway. Did see a couple of fresh gut piles a few miles in. It was more about spendin time with the Fam, a nice Bou would have been a bonus. Didnt see any so I think Ill head out in the morn with the boy, and the dog of course and take a longer look. Stopped off at Eureka Lodge for a bite to eat, then headed home. We pulled in the drive at 3 p.m... took a nap, and now Im enjoying a cold one. Best Saturday Ive had in a long time!!!

My nephew and I went up to Paxson yesterday. We had four stalks, but didn't connect. There were a few times that I could have probably taken one, but I didn't want to encourage him to take 250-300 yard shots on his first big game animal. We saw some caribou (obviously), but all hunters we talked to who had been there for a few days said it had slowed down considerably. From sunup to sundown we saw maybe 5 hunters who had been successful, and three of those were right next to the road south of Paxson on our drive home. I'm sure there were more successful hunters than that, but of the 40 or so trucks I saw throughout the day, I didn't see a single one with an animal in the back. I hope this means that the harvest has slowed down appreciably and that we'll get to give it another go next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My nephew and I went up to Paxson yesterday. We had four stalks, but didn't connect. There were a few times that I could have probably taken one, but I didn't want to encourage him to take 250-300 yard shots on his first big game animal. We saw some caribou (obviously), but all hunters we talked to who had been there for a few days said it had slowed down considerably. From sunup to sundown we saw maybe 5 hunters who had been successful, and three of those were right next to the road south of Paxson on our drive home. I'm sure there were more successful hunters than that, but of the 40 or so trucks I saw throughout the day, I didn't see a single one with an animal in the back. I hope this means that the harvest has slowed down appreciably and that we'll get to give it another go next weekend.

and that is one of the Take a kid hunting traits.. my kids and i did almost a dozen stalks before they got frustrated and said they would sit in the truck while i went and did the dead... the got to "observe" one as i belly crawled 150 yards across the flat wide open on the bank of the sue (west bank 80 mile above bridge)... i swear the kids snow gear GLOWED i in the dim light or something... there was no getting close with them in it.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    .. i swear the kids snow gear GLOWED i in the dim light or something... there was no getting close with them in it.
    Ha! It's either that, or the sound they make when walking in the stuff. My snowpants and my nephew's are made of similar material, but his made about 10x as much sound when we were walking. I guess the little ones just can't help brushing thier legs together. I know sight is more important that sound to caribou, but man, I felt like we were broadcasting our movements with a megaphone! Still, we could have connected if things worked out just slightly differently a number of times. When we walked, we should have sat still. When we sat still, we should have walked. That's hunting, though, and he had a really, really good attitude about the whole thing. After all the work he has put in over the past couple of years, he sure is going to enjoy his first harvest when we finally connect. Hopefully next weekend!

Brian,
    I am going up Wednesday, do you have any helpful hints for me? Did you hunt the denali hwy? I have no idea what I'm going to do. I figured I will head up to paxson and see where I end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My snowpants and my nephew's are made of similar material, but his made about 10x as much sound when we were walking. I guess the little ones just can't help brushing thier legs together.
    Try fleece pants over the snow pants. You can usually find grey fleece pants pretty cheap. cut the legs off to fit. I find that they do not collect dry snow, but will get wet in the slushy stuff. The biggest hazard I have found with fleece layers is the wind resistance varies a lot, and the static discharge. Zapped my dog once as well as my kid.

My buddy called me around 11 this morning enroute to paxson he said lale l was slow lots of hunters between glennallen and paxson he said about mp 151 trucks in the road flashers on guys skinning caribou on the hwy. He said several trucks doing this he said they missed them by 30 minutes.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast