Thread: Downsides to owning a Beaver?

Default Downsides to owning a Beaver?

Hi all,

Are there any downsides to owning a beaver? Such as cost per flight hour, High Insurance? Thanks

Ron

Insurance is high due to the cost of parts.
    They burn LOTS of gas.
    They have a radial engine which fewer and fewer people work on.
    They are not the fastest plane around.
    And they are all old....

But all in all, a great plane particularluy on floats, if you need stol, room, and stability.

If it is just you and the wife for the occasional weekend trip...there are better ways to spend money...\\

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Too much plane for my missions. Way too much plane to manhandle around once back on the ground.

If you need the load capacity, nothing beats it. If not, there are better options. How about a brand new R-44 w/floats for the same money as a late 50's Beaver? Or a brand new Cub AND a primo 185 or 206? Or a good Cub and a good 185 and a new Porsche Targa 4 to drive to the airport? Or.....

they burn what 25-30 galons an hour thats like 4 hours total flight time w/o filling the wing tanks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default expensive!!!!

thats all there is to it.......just plain way expensive!

There is no downside to owning a Beaver. There is a downside to being too poor to own a Beaver.

My buddies dad had a fully restored amphib Beaver that he flew around SE Alaska, Washington and Montana. A few years after buying it he sold it and bought a Caravan on amphib floats. He has the $, just didn't like the constant maintenance on the engine, oil leakage, etc.

In this case he had the $, just didn't want the hassle! Wish I had that problem!

Default yes

HANGAR DOOR WIDTH
    Also height thru the door in alot of cases (floats,amphibs). SO if you have a hangar measure or remember it when you build one. Oh yeah, and they are EXPENSIVE and usually overkill unless you are hauling for a living.

Yes - You have to buy her a house!!!!

The Beaver? Best conversion of horsepower to noise there is, and the worst conversion of horsepower to speed. Just a big old hole in the sky you pour money into.

Default Beaver

That was a Beaver that went down today off Ketchikan was it not? 5 dead.

They should burn about 22gph. You have to pay for 97 gallons in the 3 main tanks plus an additional 42 gallons if you top off the tip tanks. Just under 6 1/2 hrs range which is nice, but unless you need to haull 1800# around all the time...well you decide. A 206 can get about 1400# in the air on wheels and gain you another 20-30kts or so on about 17gph...who wants to hold their bladder for 6 hours anyway?

My family has owned, operated and rebuilt about 10 beavers over the years and they will always be one of my favorite all time planes. Fortunately we have a project beaver in the hangar now, so I might get to fly one for fun in the future after the rebuild is complete, but then it will be time to sell it and start another plane. I would have to side with the previous post that they are too expensive. The noise and leaks and quirks that go with owning an old plane with a radial just give it character and should be expected. They're reliable old dogs and each one has a personality. I would find it hard to talk someone who knew what they were jumping into, out of a beaver. They're just cool. It's sad when one goes down and much more so when lives are lost.

Default Best Choice then...

Ok,

What would you recommend for a family of 4. The smallest is my wife at 5'11. The tallest is 6'5. The families combined weight is 1000 pounds. Add in 200 pounds of gear maybe more......what would fit the bill?

Ron

A late model 180 (6 place) or 185 would do just fine

Default 206

With that kind of size, you might find a little more shoulder room in a 206. We've owned 185's my whole life, until about a year ago. They'll certainly haul the weight, but my dad and I would only be a couple of inches away at the shoulders. We're both about 6'0" 220#. A 206 will give you an extra 3.75" at the elbows. You may also get a break on insurance for the fact that it's not a taildragger...Either one would carry the weight and they're close to the same price.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    That was a Beaver that went down today off Ketchikan was it not? 5 dead.
    Yeah, but he was a stateside pilot with very likely little or no experience with Alaska's mountains and weather. Had lots of experience elsewhere, though. Fifteen years as a combat helicopter pilot, plus flew Beavers over the Grand Canyon for five more years. He was fifty-six years old, and had lots and lots of flying time.

Another pilot gone west ...................... but I sure wish he hadn't taken two sisters and their just-retired husbands with him!