Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How tall is your stand?

Default How tall is your stand?

Just curious how high everyone has their bait stands off the ground. The ladder stands I have seen are between 15 - 18 ft tall and the permanent stands have been closer to 20 - 25 ft. I have an older ladder stand that is probably only 10 ft high to the platform. I was just wondering if people thought that was too low or high enough.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

mine is on the ground, i use a blind
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mine run about 12 feet on the average.

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Just curious how high everyone has their bait stands off the ground. The ladder stands I have seen are between 15 - 18 ft tall and the permanent stands have been closer to 20 - 25 ft. I have an older ladder stand that is probably only 10 ft high to the platform. I was just wondering if people thought that was too low or high enough.
    I set my treehouse up in the canopy, they have no clue I even there. Bears, moose, people

Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Study the bears in the area your hunting. When you figure out what height they become afraid of heights, set your stand 5 feet higher..................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

The Grizz in my area will get you in anything under 15' ft

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I'm on top my 20' ladder and like to have a couple swing to trees also.As age sets in ground most often happens now.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

FloorGuy,
    We usually sit at 12', but decided to move to 15' when the brownies moved in.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

We use climber stands and go about 12 to 25 ft up .Another spot we just set up on a ridge and shot prone .

15-17 ft is the norm for the stand setups I use but your location will dictate if you need to go up or down in height.

I set my stand about 30 feet up.

I'm 60 years old. How hi will ya build it for me and still care about the maybe 10 or 15 years I have left.....................lol
    Oh ya, the lower ya build it the less you care............lmao
    In other words, not into being your bait..........
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Ladder stand is 18 ft

I'm with Vince. I got tired of climbing trees a few years ago.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Usually set them about 15ft up, two on one solid tree side by side, works great. But next year i'm going to try a ground blind. Would make for better shot angles for bowhunting as well. What ground blind are you using Vince?

My stands are 12-15 I must say the ground blind sounds interesting.

12 ft for me but my vote does not count, since I have a major fear of hights and I can't believe I force myself to go that high.

Been wondering about hunting bait in a ground blind. What if you had to shoot a grizz in DLP how would that go down with the troopers?

My portable tree stands are normally placed 20-25' up for gun hunting and 20-22' up for archery depending on the tree and layout of the land and bait. I also own a 20' ladder stand and plan to buy a 24' ladder stand for another area.

Remember... 12' or 14' may get you up in the air but a brown can, and may, jump and/or decide to take a swipe. The additional height IMO also helps with concealing your stand and addressing scent control.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

my tree stands stood about 8-10 feet above ground, but now i would rather hunt from a ground blind with my bow 20 yards away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast