Thread: Picked up a new toy today...

Default Picked up a new toy today...

I've always admired the quality of Ruger revolvers, so I've been looking for just the right one for a while now. I wanted a Bisley Stainless convertible model in 45 colt and 45 ACP. I stole this one on Gunbroker for $785 shipped. It was a steal because it came with 5 boxes of bullets, 200 new cases (half brass, the other half nickel plate), a set of RCBS carbide dies for 45 Colt, a 45 colt case trimmer and a Bianchi shoulder holster.

Can't wait to take it out and run some ammo through it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

That's a beautiful gun. Congrats.

You must be one of the few who can swing getting a new gun right after a new baby!

Your wife must have been so and occupied that you got out of her site just long enough to get into trouble.

Good Job!!!

Plus found someone to send ammo,good job
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    You must be one of the few who can swing getting a new gun right after a new baby!

Your wife must have been so and occupied that you got out of her site just long enough to get into trouble.

Good Job!!!
    LOL, This was my sole PFD purchase for me. The rest of it went for a new (to us) family car that seats 8 (Elizabeth is our fifth) and bills. Thanks guys, and Amigo Will - the ammo part is what sealed the deal for me. I'm an avid hand-loader, so the extras are what made me drop the cash.

NR - I tried to rep you for the laugh, but it seems I already did for another post. You got one coming.

And just to clear things up - there was no loaded ammo shipped. Just components minus the powder and primers. Can't ship loaded ammo from outside. (legaly anyway.)

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Sweet! Is this your first 45 Colt?

You're going to have some serious fun now! That's just the right barrel for easy carry, and you'll feel bare nekked when you wander the hills without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Sweet! Is this your first 45 Colt?
    It is indeed, and I've already got about 100 rounds loaded up to try out in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You're going to have some serious fun now! That's just the right barrel for easy carry, and you'll feel bare nekked when you wander the hills without it.
    I plan to use the Ruger for everyday carry in the woods except when I'm in brown bear country when they're awake. I know the 45 Colt can be loaded hot enough to stop a bear in the Ruger frame, but I have a S&W 460V that doesn't need hot loads for that purpose.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

All rightly then, so you did get that gun! Congratulations, two new babies in the same month.

That is a good looking gun.

When we going to go shootin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    All rightly then, so you did get that gun! Congratulations, two new babies in the same month.

That is a good looking gun.

When we going to go shootin?
    I just went today. I still have about a week and a half of leave though, so as long as Jaime and the baby are taken care of, I can go any time. Just let me know when. It shoots very nicely, by the way. I put about 60 or so rounds through it, from 45 ACP handloads to 45 Colt bear stoppers. I like the angle of the bisley grip. It seems to me that recoil is easier to handle with it. I'll let you try it out when we go shootin'.

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. I have the same stainless Bisley, except mine isn't the convertible and I wish it was. Congrats on the purchase!
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. I have the same stainless Bisley, except mine isn't the convertible and I wish it was. Congrats on the purchase!
    Well, I'd loan you my 45 ACP cylinder, but since they have to be fitted to the gun, I don't think that would help you much. Thanks for the congrats though, and surprisingly enough recoil doesn't seem to be much different with 45 ACP. Just work up some cowboy loads and you'll never miss the extra cylinder.

Ya, those 5.5 Stainless Bisley 45's are sweet for sure. I was looking for one last year when I ran across the Bisley Hunter. I couldn't pass it up. I suspect I'll end up with a 5.5 at some point. Or perhaps a 4 5/8 stainless Vaquero Bisley in 45 Colt. I saw one at a gun show a while back. Not the New Vaquero. They won't handle the Ruger Only loads.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post

Good Job!!!
    LOL no kidding....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well, I got to take it for a spin yesterday. I fired everything from mid-level 45 ACP to heavy 45 Colt with 350 gr. Speer JSP's. All of them handloads, and there were no problems. I fired about 60 rounds total. My wife got to get some practice with her Ruger LCR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL no kidding....
    All you have to do is find the right woman to marry. ;-)