Thread: Homer kings...

Default Homer kings...

the fishing has been REALLY good, charters getting easy limits, and the rest of us getting what we need.
    weather is about to go crummy, but if the fishing stays good after it clears now is the time.
    best king fishing of the year is happening RIGHT NOW.
    i am gonna try in the morning,,(on my way to work).
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Must be terrible, I mean that job you have. I hate to have to fish on my way to work Thanks for the report and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Must be terrible, I mean that job you have. I hate to have to fish on my way to work Thanks for the report and good luck.
    yeah, it pretty much sucks, but i manage to deal with it.
    good thing my wife is sympathetic.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the fishing has been REALLY good, charters getting easy limits, and the rest of us getting what we need.
    weather is about to go crummy, but if the fishing stays good after it clears now is the time.
    best king fishing of the year is happening RIGHT NOW.
    i am gonna try in the morning,,(on my way to work).
    YOU SUCK! But I like your job.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yeah, it pretty much sucks, but i manage to deal with it.
    good thing my wife is sympathetic.
    You are a definitely lucky there. I'm sure she appreciates how hard you have it

Man, I just covered the boat. Looks like the cover will come back off next week for a drive down to Homer......

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Man, I just covered the boat. Looks like the cover will come back off next week for a drive down to Homer......
    I still don't understand why people put their boats away at this time of year---especially here in Homer. Some of the best salmon fishing to be had happens in the next 6 months. How can you beat catching ocean fresh kings when it's snowing out, heading home and throwing a big chunk of what you caught a few hours ago on the grill? And there are halibut out there all winter long, too.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I still don't understand why people put their boats away at this time of year---especially here in Homer. Some of the best salmon fishing to be had happens in the next 6 months. How can you beat catching ocean fresh kings when it's snowing out, heading home and throwing a big chunk of what you caught a few hours ago on the grill? And there are halibut out there all winter long, too.
    Don't know about guys with outboards, but with inboards, it takes a small amount of work to get my engine winterized, so IMO it is hard to keep the boat ready to go during the winter and also keep it winterized at the same time, of course if I lived in Homer it might be different, but with a 2 hour plus tow with freezing temps is asking for trouble with an engine not winterized.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Don't know about guys with outboards, but with inboards, it takes a small amount of work to get my engine winterized, so IMO it is hard to keep the boat ready to go during the winter and also keep it winterized at the same time, of course if I lived in Homer it might be different, but with a 2 hour plus tow with freezing temps is asking for trouble with an engine not winterized.
    I don't know anything about inboards, so can't even comment on that. I'm just constantly amazed as I drive around Homer and see very sea worthy boats with big ol' outboards that are all wrapped up for the winter. I can understand not wanting to make the drive down here from distant places---I moved to Homer so I could fish 365 days a year if I want to and not make that drive anymore---but when you live here I can't fathom the thought of giving up on fishing just because it's cold out.

I moved to Homer so I could fish 365 days a year
    and party w/ hippy chicks 365 nights a year

Sure beats the 5 mile long strip mall they call Wasilla.

Sure beats the 5 mile long strip mall they call Wasilla.
    Hey you're not telling me anything I don't know. The only bad thing I can see about being a Homeroid is being on the business end of Wasillas boots when our basketball team pays a visit LM*O!

Being able to extend my fishing season is one of the big reasons I'd like to have outboards instead of a stern drive. If you don't drain the engine block or flush out the water and replace with antifreeze and then it freezes, you've got big problems $$.

Muttley,

I may have missed the answer in a past thread, but how do you clean your boat up when it is 20 degrees out?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

i have a inboard i have not done it manny times but when the roads are good from soldotna i will take the boat out i just when i am done took one of those 7 gallon blue what jugs the heavy plastic ones filled with fresh water and flush my motor with that gravity feed to the muffs on my outdrive, then i fill it with rv anitfreeze and run till its pink and go home takes all of about 5 minutes to do. adds about 15 bucks to the trip but that is not much for boating. As for cleaning it up after words if the car wash is open i will rinse it if not i am lucky and i have a big shop to thaw and clean my boat in.

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    i have a inboard i have not done it manny times but when the roads are good from soldotna i will take the boat out i just when i am done took one of those 7 gallon blue what jugs the heavy plastic ones filled with fresh water and flush my motor with that gravity feed to the muffs on my outdrive, then i fill it with rv anitfreeze and run till its pink and go home takes all of about 5 minutes to do. adds about 15 bucks to the trip but that is not much for boating. As for cleaning it up after words if the car wash is open i will rinse it if not i am lucky and i have a big shop to thaw and clean my boat in.
    I have done it several times myself, and I have kept my engine in good shape, but I think I am more die hard than the average boat owner, and they probably don't feel it is worth the trouble to unwrap the boat, or shovel it out, to go out and catch a small handful of fish if any. Actually the biggest problem I have had fishing in the winter isn't unwrapping the boat, or keeping the engine thawed out, but it is being able to launch the boat and get out of the harbor. One time, I had a report that the harbor was ice free from the launch to the entrance, but when I got down there, it was froze up, I used the other launch by the fuel dock which didn't go so well with no float to tie up to, but I did make it out of the harbor, luckily for me, a bigger boat had plowed its way to the other launch and I was able to retrieve there, it would have been a real pain to take out at the same place I launched from, because the wind was blowing pretty good now, and without being able to tilt my motor up, I probably would have ended up in the rocks.

Charterboat Operator

it would have been a real pain to take out at the same place I launched from, because the wind was blowing pretty good now, and without being able to tilt my motor up, I probably would have ended up in the rocks.

you just need to practice a little on one of the tractor launches during the summer!! j/k

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Muttley,

I may have missed the answer in a past thread, but how do you clean your boat up when it is 20 degrees out?
    I use a bucket over the side. And I keep an "auxiliary" bilge pump handy that I can drain after I use it to pump my bilge out with. This year I'm planning on buying an "auxiliary" washdown pump that I can do the same thing with. When I need it I'll just stick a hose in the water and when I'm done with it I'll just empty the water out of it so it won't freeze up.

The biggest problem I has last year was water getting into my bilge and freezing up down there, but some salt took care of that, so I keep a BIG bag of it on my boat.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    When temps drop to the teens I have to run the engine twice a day to keep it from freezing, thats a lot if fishing! So you have to keep it in the water.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    When temps drop to the teens I have to run the engine twice a day to keep it from freezing, thats a lot if fishing! So you have to keep it in the water.
    Kodiakcombo I hope you have room for me on your books during the derby. Its you and me bud we'll bring home the hardware. Muttleys starting to gain confidence but I'm not even worried. :wink: