Thread: Riding gear again

Default Riding gear again

Aktruckinís post got me thinking. I normally look like a refugee from a surplus store when Iím out riding. It might be time to invest in some decent outer gear. With all the accolades for Klim gear it looks like the way to go. I was wondering if you guys are going with insulated or non-insulated? I am inclined towards non-insulated as I already have good base and mid layers to put under it, but I wondered if I was missing something. It is always nice to peel down while you are digging yourself out! Also is there a real difference between the top of the line or the more moderate cost models.
    Thanks.

My personal choice is non-insulated because you have better control over your body temperature that way and can add or shed layers as you see fit. I wear a Klim shell and BRP lightly insulated bibs. My next bibs will have no insulation at all and I'm leaning towards either Klim Togwotee's or Arcteryx. The Klim shell sheds wind so well that when I'm actively riding I often only have a t-shirt on under my shell and all my vents wide open because I'm quite warm.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Non-insulated. Like Dee, I wear very little under my Klim bibs or coat.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I go non-insulated as well for my Klim gear. That way I can wear whatever underneath from puffy down coats to just a base layer depending on conditions.

I have an insulated Arctiva jacket and bibs and it does well on VERY cold trips. When I upgrade to Klim I will go with non-insulated.

I've been wearing a Klim Valdez jacket and Klim Togwotee bibs (both non-insulated) since the 06/07 season. Going with layers has been sooooo much more comfortable. Some of the benefits are; better temperature control, much less weight, and ease of movement. They are also easier to clean and dry in standard washer/dryer (much quicker to dry than insulated) with Nikwax Tech Wash.

Thanks guys, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking. Any tips on sizing? I ususally hit just between a medium and a large. Usually go with large for outer wear. Do Klims run true to size?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Soooo, my OD green field jacket and fat-boy pants are no longer considered "chic"

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Soooo, my OD green field jacket and fat-boy pants are no longer considered "chic"
    Nobody said to update your entire wardrobe. That look is the "Cats Meow" in Butte!

Dave, don't mess around with that other stuff and get the Klim. We finally broke down and bought some for this years riding season and I can't wait to try it out. It's definitley not cheap but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I found a place online that has a lot of non-current Klim stuff on sale, you will not find any new Klim gear cheaper than this. Happy shopping!

https://www.sledgearusa.com/