Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killed a few Seaducks....

Default Killed a few Seaducks....

Alright, so we didn't succede on the turf part of the equation, but we managed to get a nice bag of Sea Ducks between the two of us.
    I tried to shoot as many pictures as I could, but the weather just wasn't the greatest as far as lighting goes - that and I need some better lenses.
    Also managed our first Black Scoters ever here...Knew they were around, but are very rare in our neck of the woods.

OK, I give up, be honest, what did you do with all those ducks?? Bud

What we typically do with them is breast the, then save all the breasts, and towards the end of the season, or when we have enough we'll make sausage and jerky...We can't really tolerate them any other way lol...

Nice looking bag.

Try cream cheese, jalapeno and bacon wrapped on the grill. If still not good, add more bacon.

mmmm....bacon fixes everything....Just like ketchup

But then your not really eating duck are you.

sea duck flavored bacon

put enough bacon, cheese, or ranch dressing on a dog turd and it would taste good enough to eat
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

So are you making everone else do the hardwork OneLung? I just heard last night that you're currently laid up with a broken foot. The story sounds impressive.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    put enough bacon, cheese, or ranch dressing on a dog turd and it would taste good enough to eat
    I'll take your word for it.

I'll also take the word of anyone who says they can make sea duck edible, if they are anything like merganser for flavor.

I figured out this year that for puddle duck, soaking in saltwater, changing the solution every day for 3 days, then another day in homemade teriyaki sauce, then stir frying was pretty tasty. The kids even wanted it in their school lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    So are you making everone else do the hardwork OneLung? I just heard last night that you're currently laid up with a broken foot. The story sounds impressive.
    lol.....yeah I am somewhat laid up. No cast or anything, just can't walk to well...Good enough to sit in the back of a boat and shoot ducks though

or...

Southeast Road hunt :P

You know where to buy Scooter, Harilquens and Old Squaw decoys? Found a site, but they wont $300 dz.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Oh, man, the first couple times I read this I saw DOG, not dog TURD. I was going to suggest barbecued with teriyaki sauce, but I'll uh, pass, on that other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    You know where to buy Scooter, Harilquens and Old Squaw decoys? Found a site, but they wont $300 dz.
    Those decoy's were my buddies Corkers....I'm not a big fan of them...All I ever do is get the cheapest mallard deeks I can, then paint.

For the 'Squaws I use Black Plastic Zip ties for the tails....a little super glue and your GTG!

To be honest, I've just put out a string of mallard deeks plenty of times and the Golden Eye, Scoters, and Old Squaw come in just the same.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

how much is that doggie in the window?
    the one with the barbecued tail
    how much is that doggie in the window?
    I sure hope his legs are for sale
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Man.. Is it that easy..just tie a trotline of decoys to your big boat..sit in the back and pass shoot?...someone has got to pulling my leg on on this. I have a muskrat i can use as a layout blind..back it off with a rope to the decoys and it will be game on!...rotate hunters..please tell me it is this easy!

Thanks

Great story and thanks for the tips...going to buy paint this week and get out in the next month for sure. i have got to try this.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I've killed piles of sea ducks in PWS out of a 17ft Boston Whaler with a few longlines out behind the boat. Sea ducks aren't wary birds nor are they real picky about hunters in a boat. We routinely have harlequins decoy to our long lines while we are pulling them into position to hunt from shore blinds. They don't mind landing right behind the boat even in the turbulant water caused by the outboard. That being said http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/sea_duck.html will be your best price on factory produced sea duck decoys. They're hollow plastic so they don't handle being shot very well, but I don't tend to shoot my decoys very often anyway.For the cheapest way to go you can do like has already been mentioned and buy cheap flambeau mallards and paint them black. I hunted over G&H bluebill decoys, GHG golden eyes, and Flambeau coots mixed with a few hand carved harlequin decoys. Not an overly expensive rig compared to some others, but they worked terrifically!! The harliquin decoys were worth the money to have carved. I have a pair from Don Mintz ( http://www.bodylanguagedecoys.com/) and a four pack from a Virginia carver by the name of William Powell (http://falsecapegunningdecoys.com/Harlequin.html) The pic on this weblink is of some of my trophies from PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Man.. Is it that easy..just tie a trotline of decoys to your big boat..sit in the back and pass shoot?...someone has got to pulling my leg on on this.
    no leg pulling...

Sea duck guides in heavily hunted areas on the east coast go to the extreme of painting their boats a dark grey to look like a rock in a stormy sea. Some guides have a short blind on their boat to hide movement and to block the wind.

If you are not in a heavily hunted area the decoys are enough to get birds into range of most any boat.

The birds fly up the line of decoys to jump in front of the birds already down on the water. You put your boat up wind of the decoy lines and the birds fly right into you trying to get to the front of the line where they assume the good food is.

It is all about the food source (muscles on rock ledges) and the visibility of the decoys, and with enough decoys the known food source is not an issue.

I just assumed it was more challenging and difficult than that...I know while being out in the sound fishing etc.. I have had them come in close..but did not think they would decoy so easily. Sounds like fun...got to try this soon. Thanks. Great information.

Question: Does it help to offset the decoys any? I was thinking running two lines off the big boat and then when the layout is positioned to the front of the two lines in the middle..maybe set a string behind it of a few as well.

Numbers game or what? How many should I start off painting to use... I have over 50 I can hit with black spraypaint and add a few white spots to here and there. Maybe even hit a few with some white paint and a few black spots..any ideas?

Thanks
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast