Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Plane has crashed

Default Your Plane has crashed

With everyone getting into winter mode, and while all the usual armchair chatter about “what it takes to be a REAL Alaskan woodsman, (or hunter)”; or what’s the best bolt-action, piston-driven, .53 caliber, black, lever-gun, for personal defense against rabid porcupines, while float fishing the Kenai; or what cartridge best fills the slot between the 6.5x55 and the .260 Remington; or how to start a fire with gadgets, gizmos, or golf cart batteries and a g-string, is entertaining, I thought I’d be so bold as to challenge everyone with a seasonally relevant potential scenario to ponder:

You are aboard a small aircraft enroute a remote section of river in the Interior. It is late September, and the weather has been unseasonably cool. Temperatures have been holding well below freezing, and there is heavy pan ice forming on the river. Upon short final for your would be gravel bar strip, your aircraft abruptly loses power. At stall speed you clip a group of tall White Spruce, and cartwheel into the channel. Miraculously, you make it to shore, however the aircraft and all its contents are lost to the river. You are clothed in only whatever you were wearing for the flight. You are soaked to the skin and rapidly becoming hypothermic. The nearest human is an hour flight away, it will be dark in two hours, and it will be much longer still before you are declared overdue. What will you do to survive the next 24 hours?

Ready….Go

This is why I wear a 5.11 Tactical Survival Vest. But answer your question, I would as fast as possible spend the last two hours of light collecting as much wood as I could, in super high speed. Next I would build a debris shelter in the last light, gather as much dry grass, and pine limbs as I can. Then it would depend on moonlight. Eventually I would build a small fire.

I would take the 12' by 12' piece of 6 mil vis-queen from my vest and cut it in half, using half to cover the debris shelter, and save the other half to wrap up in, for sleeping and when I took my now half-dry clothes off to dry near the fire. I would eat some of my survival food that is in my vest. lay out a plan for tomorrow, which would more wood, set snares using dental-floss and/or the 55 feet of copper wire in my vest. Also I would set out several set lines, using the fishing gear in my Survival Vest. At some point I would inventory all of my resources in the vest and in my pockets, and anything that is recoverable from the aircraft. I would have lots of green pine boughs ready for the signal fire.

I would just go to the well stocked trappers cabin a 100 yards down river.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I would just go to the well stocked trappers cabin a 100 yards down river.
    You were flying in to to start rebuilding it, as it burned down last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You were flying in to to start rebuilding it, as it burned down last summer.
    No, that's was the neighbors.

The river took out the neighbors cabin after they burned yours down because they hate you. You should be just about frozen stiff by now...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice try,,, any good bush pilot worth his salt would not have let you on the plane with out your basic survival gear strapped to you or on you... first step of course is the *****slapp the person flying back into reality for getting you all wet... ONCE you feel better about yourself you can dig deep and find that safety stuff you filled into all of your pockets to keep from having a pack that was over weight. once you have a fire going and a brush wind break set up... you can pull that snickers bar out of your cargo pant pocket and eat it pleasurably in front of IL boy that landed you there...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

But the neighbors are two guys, and one of them plays the banjo...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If you don't strip off all your wet clothes and get a fire going within the next 10 minutes, everything else is moot. The good thing is that late September provides a lot of stuff that will get a quick fire started... as long as you have a waterproof fire-starting device in your pocket. Do you?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ...and the scuffle ensures to determine who gets to be the big spoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Thanks, I needed that image.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    If you don't strip off all your wet clothes and get a fire going within the next 10 minutes, everything else is moot. The good thing is that late September provides a lot of stuff that will get a quick fire started... as long as you have a waterproof fire-starting device in your pocket. Do you?
    Thanks a lot Joat, you ruined a perfectly good hijack.

Thanks a lot Joat, you ruined a perfectly good hijack.
    You get an 'A' for effort tho...

Do I hear banjo music?

The way you dress YES you will have to do that. I however was smart enough to wear wool outer clothing and polyester inner clothing, so I can skip that step and go straight to gathering wood. Now I always have 5 ways to start a fire. And I wear even to bed 24/7/365 a 15 foot length of 550 cord which contains a FireSteel Bar & Magnesium Bar & a sriker.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You get an 'A' for effort tho...

Do I hear banjo music?
    I think that was Strahan...........

I would have to agree with JOAT, fire is essential to survival, could be difficult unless you have some means in your pocket to ignite.
    I carry some emerengcy stuff in a ditty bag, according to iofthetaiga all was lost, so you would have to rely on what is on your person. I usally carry a lighter (no I dont smoke) or matches in pocket just cause.

As far as losing everything goes, it could happen in a larger river. Small river you would be likely able to recover something, large river.......probably drown and not have to worry about it...... Also large river even in late sept would most likely have some traffic & if no possibility for a fire than I would start walking briskly. Away from the banjo music.........LOL

Fire is number one, you can go w/o food for awhile, water for a few days.........of course if landed in a river.......plenty to drink.......
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

If you guys went out regularly and practiced this, you would know that the urgent need for fire the end of September, is just not true. Hell we hunt on the Alaska Peninsula in driving rain and wind, we are soaking wet ALL day long, your not going to die in 10 minutes if you don't get a fire going. Think about all the times you have been soaked & hunted for 10 hours. Dress correctly and practice these drills for real. This weekend several people from "Alaskan Survivalist" are going out and practice building Debris Shelters. Practice, practice, practice.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you guys went out regularly and practiced this, you would know that the urgent need for fire the end of September, is just not true. Hell we hunt on the Alaska Peninsula in driving rain and wind, we are soaking wet ALL day long, your not going to die in 10 minutes if you don't get a fire going. Think about all the times you have been soaked & hunted for 10 hours. Dress correctly and practice these drills for real. This weekend several people from "Alaskan Survivalist" are going out and practice building Debris Shelters. Practice, practice, practice.
    No not in 10 minutes, but hypothermia does happen, been there done that........You keep saying we above..............didnt think this was a we situation..........its one thing to be out all day wet knowing you have a dry camp at days end.......quite another to be placed in a survival situation...........and yes some prepardeness is prudent if traveling remotely in AK.

As said before fire is esential to survival if all gear is lost...........sure there are many, "survived another close call stories".............I have a few myself.....the questions was: "What will you (I in this case) do to survive the next 24 hours?"................certainly not go home and put together the tactical vest I should have been wearing...............LOL....great idea by the way...............!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    No not in 10 minutes, but hypothermia does happen, been there done that........You keep saying we above..............didnt think this was a we situation..........its one thing to be out all day wet knowing you have a dry camp at days end.......quite another to be placed in a survival situation...........and yes some prepardeness is prudent if traveling remotely in AK.

As said before fire is esential to survival if all gear is lost...........sure there are many, "survived another close call stories".............I have a few myself.....the questions was: "What will you (I in this case) do to survive the next 24 hours?"................certainly not go home and put together the tactical vest I should have been wearing...............LOL....great idea by the way...............!

I have crashed a few PA-18's in my career. Please see post numbers #2 & #14 as to what I would do. And the we is those of us who regularly "PRACTICE" Survival drills, as I said this weekend we will practice a 7 mile outbound jog/march and then build debris shelters, and scavenge for berries, and sleep in the debris shelters. Some weekend we prectice with nothing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And the we is those of us who regularly "PRACTICE" Survival drills.
    AND HOW??? do you do that????
    Turn off all the stove oil and jump into the river?

throw your self down a sandy bank?

or..

Let some women in to see your kitchen?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast