Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many of you still hunt the old way

Default how many of you still hunt the old way

so i am just curious too know how many of you still hunt the old way or close too it which im refering too no technology; no gps,sattelite phones,range finders,special scopes, ect. And know how to track like a primative just curious..

Quote Originally Posted by Apacheboyalaska View Post
    so i am just curious too know how many of you still hunt the old way or close too it which im refering too no technology; no gps,sattelite phones,range finders,special scopes, ect. And know how to track like a primative just curious..
    I don't use a ton of technology. I do use some things, such a modern scope.

I don't think I'm exceptionally dependent on modern technology - I can still navigate with a compass and a map. I'm pretty good at starting a fire. But I do take advantage of some of the newer breakthroughs. I use a GPS. I carry matches AND a lighter. I have a variable powered scope on my rifle (although I hardly think it's "special"). I have a SPOT I carry around because it gives me a little more peace of mind. I've killed plenty of animals without using a rangefinder, but I think using a rangefinder when possible makes an accurate first shot more likely. My binoculars are a lot better than the hand-me-downs I got from my grandfather. My sleeping bags weighs a lot less than my dad's sleeping bag. I prefer to hunt with my feet (don't own an ATV, plane, or boat), but I've used ATVs, planes, and boats from time to time to access more remote areas. I don't know how a primitive tracks, but I'm pretty good at following tracks just the same. My bullets are propelled by smokeless powder, and all of my shotgun shells have plastic hulls.

For what it's worth... I also use an electric toothbrush. And my truck runs on unleaded gasoline.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Well, I'm probably going newer every day lately,
    No GPS or Sat phone, tho I do strategize my plan by charts on the computer on the boat I use to access the grounds,and do carry a handheld VHF (never used as I hunt alone but it's there for weather and emergencies)
    I walk in the field, no ATV, snomachine, etc. or plane spotting, all my hunts are from a boat I use to get away from the masses. Burns diesel, built in '75, goes eight knots per hour, has Ice in the hold for immediate meat preservation, Good Camp.

I do like my "new this year" rangefinder, makes for better shots I think, and use a scope, basic not one of those "longrange figure outters"
    Not really big on fire, too wet here on the islands, all about good clothes, but I do dress in Capilene, and Fleece exclusively. Not a believer in Goretex, full raingear or none.

Would like to think I'm old school, but probably not anymore, and the new stuff helps me harvest cleaner I think.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've been hunting the old way, but that may be my problem, LOL

germe1967,its nice too hear that..haha..it is not a problem,sometimes we are blessed with game and sometimes not..but keep it up!

kodiakrain that sounds really awesome that you do it all by old school boat,and yes I think many are going newer and newer every year I guess you cant help it when you walk into thats sportsman store we become a kid in a candy store.lol

Funny thing: My primary weapon for almost thirty years has been a longbow or recurve. I've made my own arrows for decades: cedar, paint, feather fletch and glue. Hand-sharpened broadheads. I like wood, leather and steel. My shooting style requires no sights. I can read a compass and I've spent a lifetime getting very close to animals. My average shot distance is under 15 yards. A lot of guys refer to me as a "traditional bowhunter", but I reject that title nowadays. I've worked hard to develop my hunting skills...my woodcraft...the ability to be at home in the wilderness, or back 40. Still, I'm not very traditional.

I like my Garmin 62st Topo GPS. I wear the best hunting clothing and gear I can afford. I carry a digital camera AND a flash drive digital camcorder on my hunts. My BlackBerry is in my right cargo pocket...Kestrel unit in my left. A SuperCub with avionics got me to this little piece of paradise. A satellite phone call will get me out. I've got a sweet sidearm on my belt, and it has CT Lasergrips on it. I'm surrounded by technology and modern conveniences.

However: If you stripped me of everything except my weapon and basic clothing...maybe some essentials...I'd be fine with that. I have no doubt that my success rate would be the same. I'd hunt, kill and eat. Getting extremely close with longbow and shaft has taught me to be patient and open-minded. These days, my fangs stay hidden most of the time...until the next time.

hunting the old way, well that depends on how " old way " a person wants to go, i dont hunt with a spear/club or wear the skins of a sabertooth tiger that was killed caveman style, but i think everyone of us advance or take advantage of the NEW STUFF that comes out, even Frank Glasses in the book by former governor Jim Rearden ( ALASAKA WOLF MAN ) spoke of the first time he used a telescopic sight or drove an automobile or useing airplanes to control wolves yet still drove dog teams to access the bush , i use a GPS but still take & know how to use a compass, i still hunt with a bow/arrows but it's a compound, i use fast flatshooting scoped rifles w/synthetic stocks & a range finder also use a pickup,4wheeler,snowmachine & the availability of a bushplane if required to get away from everyone else & yet i still use my own legs & a packframe or horses & mules & know how to ride,pack,track,read sign, etc. .etc. . piont being it's important to still obtain & learn the skills required before ( THE NEW STUFF ) came out to be able to still function in the bush should ( THE NEW STUFF ) malfunction, the new gagets that come out every year are awsome & some are a joke but they're no excuse for not learning how to HUNT read sign & learn the habits & ways of game, there's no substitute for good ol'fashioned get out there, been there done that wear out some boot leather know how.

nice k dill that is awesome..always nice to meet a lb hunter.nothing against compound bow just always used one myself.and yes i think we all use abit of technology

hahaha nice predatorhuntr i like how you think,i should have reworded it differently

!!!ok i should have asked my question differently how many people still try to hunt the old way without too much technology....but if it was all taken away would you still be able to be fine alone in the bush

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Do i ???? No. i carry a sat phone so my family knows where i am.

i own a GPS though rarely use it as i know where i am and how i got there.

I have a new pack frame bought from a young man i can't wait to try,

I have an ATV to carry my gear..

i have spent my time in the woods with the cabin and the dirt floor, cut my wood and packed my water and food. on my own i can suffice to say that with what i carry i can survive. i shoot nearly as well with open sights as i do a scoped rifle, can shoot my bow bare, or fully dressed.

and so I ASK;

what is hunting the old way? when the long bow was created. did some one not ask... What about those that like to use spears, Rocks, and traps? then one day some one turned that bow on it's side and added a stock... well i am sure that was some less sporting..

what is the old way? ah perhaps it is finding your quarry, and bringing it home, sharing with family, neighbors, and those less successful. telling the stories, and sharing the means of How to do it with those yet learned. for it means not how we kill... but that we do it correctly. that we make homage of what we do kill. The old way? that was yesterday.. and tomorrow.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I use what I was taught with and we were kinda poor but ate good
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I did as a kid. Not quite a trapper nelson pack board but definitely a eureka frame pack, Colman dome tent from pay-n-save, T-shirt, Jeans, 70's vintage tang safety Ruger M77 and a cheap set of boots. Now days I have made hunting a priority and I have high end mountaineering tents, nice Bino's, stainless steel rifles w/ german optics, fine merino base layer and the highest tech breathable rain gear. I have a nice GPS w/ topo maps and plan most of my hunts using satellite images as well as topo quads. I have a river boats, a sled and a bunch of ATV's along with a crew cab F250 power stroke to drag it all around. I have rifles for most conceivable AK hunting scenarios and a couple that aren't really well suited for anything. I will pay a pilot to drop me into an area that I have scouted via aerial photography and planned with buddies on the internet. I have carried a range finder that will tell me how far away an animal up to a distance 4x farther than I would ever shoot. Heck I have a pack that costs over 1K and holds 100lbs better than most will hold 50!! I also have a 6lb raft that will float me an my harvest miles out of woods so I don't have to carry it one bit.

I don't blow money on classic cars or big fancy new houses. I don't buy the latest greatest video games or systems and I don't go on tropical vacations. I spend the vast majority of my time at work by necessity of the career I have chosen. Hunting and the outdoors is a priority in my life and as such I focus most of my time off and the vast majority of my discretionary spending toward it. I also shop carefully and rarely buy anything at cost. Most items are last years model or lightly used.

If all that were taken away tomorrow though I would still put on my jeans, t-shirt, cheap boots and gear then head back chasing animals.

Default "The Old Way?"

I've been hunting for slightly over 60 years and I definitely don't want to go back to the time when I started hunting.

Like most hunters, I spend a greater percentage of my income on hunting than golfers spend on golfing, etc. It is just that important to me.

I use anything new that improves my safety (satellite phone) or my hunting experience (GPS, good clothing, stainless rifle barrels, good optics, etc) but I could do without most of the "new to me" stuff and I would enjoy hunting just as much as I do now.

It is comforting to know that many hunters feel as I do about new hunting stuff - nice but not necessary.

I think its important to remember that those that were hunting the "old way" were, for the most part, using the latest of technology at the time gear that was used for taking game. I have and use a some gadgets while out in the woods and they certainly make things safer and more comfortable. Also allows you to go further, higher, and stay out longer, as well as carry more weight more comfortably. I hunt as much as I can get away with, but also spend a large bulk of my time getting out and just enjoy being outside. If these gadgets at times allow me to get out to places that I wouldn't normally get to enjoy then sure I will use them. Certainly wouldn't have hired for a fly out hunt for sheep or goats 150 years ago, but then of course you didn't have to either....heck you still don't, but technology sure makes it nice at times. Maybe sometime I'll do an "almost" old school hunt as there is no getting away from everything as much as its fun to dream about, but in the mean time I'll take advantage of a lot of creature comforts the boys of ol' didn't have.

Does a 4-wheeler count? Thats the only real 'special' thing I use, besides the Internet for hunt prep.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I think Alaska Lance said it well, the "old way" was simply using the best they had at the time - if given what is available today I think the vast majority of previous hunters would also jump on the "new gear" wagon...
    I started out reading Outdoor Life mags and Fur-Fish-Game and learned almost all of my skills on my own - some hard knock ones for sure. Money was tight as most young people face - heck, still is! But I learned a lot from trapping and bow hunting with a recurve.
    The best tool we all have is the one between our ears - your success depends on how you use that one for sure! I don't think that tool will ever change so we will always have a common bond with our ancestors no matter how many gadgets we employ...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Why,will it make me a better person ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast