Thread: if Left Eye Dominant, buy the boy a LH rifle?

Default if Left Eye Dominant, buy the boy a LH rifle?

My son, appears (after the simple test) to be Left Eye dominant, but,
    he is currently shooting a RH T-bolt .22 (with scope) really well now,

can't really tell for sure but he seems to be right handed, writes that way, etc.

Should I consider training him to use LH rifles, buying his first Deer rifle as Left Hand bolt, with all the hassle (is this imagined?) of having to buy LH rifles for the rest of his life?

Would this be a great advantage for him or not that big a deal?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

In a word - yes. If after further testing, you can confirm that he's L eye dominant, just go ahead and let him shoot LH. My daughter is the same way - RH/L eye dominant. When I started her shooting it took me a while to figure out what was up. Once I confirmed, I just let her shoot LH.

I'm just the opposite - LH/R eye dominant. All of my rifles are RH. She has the only LH rifle in the safe - so it's always easier to find.

As for rifles - for SA I found her a Savage 308. From moose on down, it'll do everything that she needs to do, and w/ a good recoil pad - won't make them gun shy. If we ever go on a brown bear hunt - she can either just knuckle under and shoot my RH rifle or I can be back-up.

BLUF - get him out there shooting and instill good/safe habits at an early age.

Enjoy the time, because before you know it - they'll be using the house as a patrol base/base camp and you'll only see them when they want something to eat or need clean clothes.

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean/suggest for further testing to confirm the L Eye thing?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Should I consider training him to use LH rifles, buying his first Deer rifle as Left Hand bolt, with all the hassle (is this imagined?) of having to buy LH rifles for the rest of his life?

Would this be a great advantage for him or not that big a deal?
    Here a few links--we've been down this road before. IME eye dominance should dictate shooting form/technique. It's much easier to train muscles than try to rewire the brain.
    LINK
    LINK
    LINK
    LINK
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean/suggest for further testing to confirm the L Eye thing?
    A technique that I use, is to have them point at your nose, then close 1 eye at a time, chking to see which eye "see's" your nose (or whatever object they are pointing at). The other technique is to have them shoulder the weapon, and see which eye they naturally gravitate to. Generally it'll be pretty obvious.

As to the "hassle" training them - it'll be no different than if they we shooting R eye dominant. What you have is a blank canvas to work w/.

Just remember patience. I started my daughter when she was about 5. While at the range, I would have stuff that she could do, while I was shooting. When she wanted to shoot - no matter what I was doing - I would stop, and let her shoot. I would toss an aluminum can as far as I could, sit down and hold the rifle for her, while she shot. When the can was hit - it gave downrange feedback, and that was great. Clay pigeons on a stand work great.

When she got tired - she would stop and go back to what she was doing. Repeat as necessary. While what may be "fun" for you (seeing how small of a group you can get, etc), for a young one, it can be extremely boring. Let them stop when they want to.

Enjoy and take them to the range.

As Ted Nugent says "Take a kid hunting, and you won't have to go hunting for your kid."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by flhshvlhed View Post
    In a word - yes. If after further testing, you can confirm that he's L eye dominant, just go ahead and let him shoot LH. My daughter is the same way - RH/L eye dominant. When I started her shooting it took me a while to figure out what was up. Once I confirmed, I just let her shoot LH.

I'm just the opposite - LH/R eye dominant. All of my rifles are RH. She has the only LH rifle in the safe - so it's always easier to find.

As for rifles - for SA I found her a Savage 308. From moose on down, it'll do everything that she needs to do, and w/ a good recoil pad - won't make them gun shy. If we ever go on a brown bear hunt - she can either just knuckle under and shoot my RH rifle or I can be back-up.

BLUF - get him out there shooting and instill good/safe habits at an early age.

Enjoy the time, because before you know it - they'll be using the house as a patrol base/base camp and you'll only see them when they want something to eat or need clean clothes.
    my oldest also... bows and guns all on the left side now... and she can SHOOT!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If he holds the rifles on his left side by all means buy him left handed rifles. To do otherwise is a risk to serious injury to his eyes if he ever experiences a blown primer, barrel obstruction, etc.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Here a few links--we've been down this road before. IME eye dominance should dictate shooting form/technique. It's much easier to train muscles than try to rewire the brain.
    LINK
    LINK
    LINK
    LINK
    Thanks 1 Cor, I should have searched it out first,
    these links you've sent aren't working for me, though, too old or something?

I'll do some searching under "Dominant Eye" sound right?

Ah I'm left handed and left eye dominant and I have been shhoting r/h rifles my whole life. My dad initially bought me l/h rifles ie savage 110's. But went back to r/h when I was about 14-15 yrs old. Now days I won't even look at l/h rifle, some folks gunshops seem to think I need a l/h rifle when they see me pull a rifle up and shoulder it.

Thanks 1 Cor, I should have searched it out first,
    these links you've sent aren't working for me, though, too old or something?

I'll do some searching under "Dominant Eye" sound right?
    Sorry about the links. Let me try again:

Link

Link

Link

Link
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Got these links, that's some interesting reading, especially some about "Dominant Eye Changing with Age" as just last night while reading these I decided to test my son again,
    I could have sworn he tested out left Eye Dominant, last year in spring? but last night he is definitely Right Eye Dominant ?? So my wife did the quick test and she is Definitely Left Eye Dominant ??

Answered potentially some troubles she had as a young girl shooting through a scoped rifle of her Dad's. Didn't work out well in her memory. Maybe this will change some things in her desire to shoot at anything.

Not sure but think I better have the Eye Doc check my son for sure,
    Appreciate the comments folks, and the ref to past posts also. man that's quite a subject.

You might want to consider a lever action rifle. Easy to shoot it either left or right hanbed and he can figure out what is best for him.

Another option is the AR platform configured for ambi use. I am one of the kids that grew up shooting right handed but am left eye dominant. Way too late for me to change but the kids are starting out shooting w/ their dominant eye from the get go. That will be for both archery and rifle. I also like the lever gun idea, I have a 30-30 that will make a fine starter for them.
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-11-2010 at 02:58.

I`m a lefty been shooting that since forever , he`s young so set him up with a lh rifle and it will be good to go .
    As far as finding lh rifles thats not much of a problem any more ,most companys make them and the cost is
    not much more same with the shotty`s .I`ve got lh rifles from 22 thru 375 and stag makes a lh ar-15

Don't usually, but have to respond.
    I am right handed and left eye dominant. Been shooting rifles all my life with left eye closed. Shoot pistols with both eyes open and if target is from center line left I have to scoot my head over to be looking out of my left eye. From centerline right, I can use my right eye. Both eyes are open, either way.
    If the kid is clearly right handed, in my opinion, he is a right handed shooter. Close the left eye for rifles, and for pistols, see if he can do what I do. Couldn't imagine someone trying to make me shoot left handed as my primary strategy. It would be like someone trying to make me throw lefty. Not the best option, in my opinion.

ADQRain,

It's a good question. First, make sure that your son is indeed left-eye dominant. Do some research, consult with his pediatrician and determine FOR SURE his eye dominance. If he is left-eye dominant, my vote is to let him shoot left-handed...with a left-handed rifle. There is plenty of research to support that eye dominance is hard-wired, not a preference. Therefore, it is usually best to go with the wiring.

However, I should note that I may be biased...I am left-handed and shoot left-handed with rifles for lefties. My daughter is right-handed, but left-eye dominant (for sure). I bought her a left-handed .30-06 when she was 14...she was very comfortable with it and shot it well...and she still does today.

Good luck,

Doc

In early elementary school I was diagnosed as left eye dominant, even though I am right-handed. Consequently, I learned to shoot both bows and firearms left-handed. It hasn't always been easy..getting a Swenson ambi safety put on my 1911, getting right-handed safeties switched to left-handed safeties on Remmie semi-autos and pumps. I think learning to shoot left-handed for a person who is left-eye dominant but otherwise right-handed is infinitely easier than it would be trying to teach a right-handed person to write or throw a ball left-handed. My advice is to just get him left-handed weapons, or neutral weapons, like lever actions, and things will work out fine. My first rimfire was an original Grade I Browning T-Bolt, my first shotgun was a Marlin L. C. Smith, and my first centerfire rifle was a Remington 788 in 6mm Remington. There are a ton more left-handed guns out there than when I started shooting, so the choice to get left-handed weapons is a lot easier to make these days.

I would find it much easier to switch from right eye to left eye than to switch from right trigger finger to left. I am right handed right eye dominant and as I get older my right eye is getting worse than my left.Because of this, I have been shooting hand guns using my left eye I have no problem shooting with either eye. For training with off eye shooting just put tape on there shooting glasses on the side they are not to use.

I have a couple thoughts on this and some experience. I am right handed/left eye dominant. I have shot rifles with scopes all my life with my right eye, but had some difficulty with handguns. I got chewed out at the range alot by my first instructor for ducking my head down over my handgun, but he stopped after seeing my targets. The plus side of shooting with my right eye through a scope is that it is very natural for me to shoot left handed when needed, like shooting around right turn hallways.

I have run into the same problem with my youngest five y/o in that she is right handed/left eye dominant. I ended up putting a patch over her left eye and she started hitting everything she shot at with my AR. My experience is that it is much easier to learn to shoot with your right eye then to change to left hand guns or bows. Now she can shoot her sisters rifle or any of mine as she gets bigger and we don't have to duplicate all the firearms. She has no problems shooting right handed now. John