Thread: oleo vs spring gear on champs/citabrias?

Default oleo vs spring gear on champs/citabrias?

Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of either or what gear is better?

Thanks for the help

I owned a 7ECA with the spring gear. It seemed quite forgiving, I like the wider and taller stance that it gives. The attaching U-bolts have been known to fail, but there are HD bolts a guy can install.

'Bout a thousand years ago, I owned an Aeronca Chief, the original 65-hp jobbie. I was once stuck in show and mud at Nugget Bench, and decided to try a trick that I had heard worked for other pilots. I decided to keep the throttle to the firewall and the tail off the ground when I hit the far end of the strip. figuring that the gear legs would spring (bounce) me into the air so I could follow a creek down to lower country.

A spring or bungee gear (Cessna, Super Cub, etc.) would have done that. The Chief had oleo gear, though, and I went powering off the strip and into the willows at an indicated 50-mph, hardly having felt the end of the strip.

In the end, a good pilot doeosn't need the forgiving oleo strut gear, since he will make pretty good approaches and pretty good landings anyway.

C'mon, Griz. What did the NTSB report say? Airplane failed to get airborne because it wasn't equipped with spring gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    C'mon, Griz. What did the NTSB report say? Airplane failed to get airborne because it wasn't equipped with spring gear?
    Nah, there wasn't any NTSB report. The incidenet happened at Nugget Bench back in April of 1958. The camp crew fired up their Power Wagon and towed the Chief back up onto the strip by its tail wheel. No damage, except for moss and muskeg jamming the air intake. Cleaned that, waited until morning so the strip could freeze, and then lit out for Anchorage with my overweight passenger.

Don Sheldon had flown over with his C-180 and reported a yellow-and-blue airplanle off the end of the Nugget Bench strip. "No sign of life," the TKA teletype read. The airplane was actually yellow and red, but Don couldn't tell that through the heavy snowfall.

If the NTSB had been involved, they would have simplyu said pilot error, which it was. "Pilot failed to reach takeoff speed and overran the strip." I had around 200-hours by then, and should have known better. What do they say? Try to fill the box of experience before the box of luck runs dry . . . . . ?

Oleo gear is good for the initial touchdown, but after that all you have is the taxi springs. I can tell you from experience that they don't do well on rough ground or on skis in chopped up or drifted snow. I went to a field-approved bungee-hydrasorb gear on my 7GC and I love it. Spring gear will certainly serve you better than oleo on rough terrain, and the maintenance will be easy.

I've been waiting to hear if Carl Baun got his bungee gear approved for Champs. Anyone hear?

I have not heard of him getting it approved.

thanks guys. I appreciate it