Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best scope for a new Ruger 375 Hawkeye African?

Default Best scope for a new Ruger 375 Hawkeye African?

I just purchased a new Ruger 375 Hawkeye African and want to put the best scope for an all around big game rifle including Alaska and Africa. In 2012 I'm going back to Africa for another plains game hunt that includes Eland. I'm thinking a Leupold VariX III 2.5-8X, especially since that is the scope on most of my other rifles. What do you think??

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Silver Tip- I used a 1.5-5x Leupold and a 1.75-5x Burris on my Alaskan.

I've used the 2.5-8x Leupold on another rifle and I like it but I think the FOV is pretty small- at least that was my impression. On the .375 I like to open it up a bit and in fact shoot with both eyes open most of the time- I couldn't do that with my 2.5-8x. I can with my 1.5-5x as well as the UL 2.5x.

YMMV.

I think it's perfect. I have the VX7 1.5-6 and my cousin has the VX-III 1.5-5. The 2.5-8X has plenty of magnification with a very usable low power setting. The cost savings over the VX7 is huge and the warranty is just as good.

FOV on 1.75 at 100 yards is 16.9 feet. The FOV with 2.5 power is 13.7, tough call from my chair.

I put a variX III 1.5 x 6 on mine and am happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    I just purchased a new Ruger 375 Hawkeye African and want to put the best scope for an all around big game rifle including Alaska and Africa. In 2012 I'm going back to Africa for another plains game hunt that includes Eland. I'm thinking a Leupold VariX III 2.5-8X, especially since that is the scope on most of my other rifles. What do you think??

Silver Tip
    If you have that scope on most of your other rifles then you are in the best position to determine if you like it or not. IMO it is a fine general purpose scope and I'd not have any hesitations selecting one for a .375 (Ruger/H&H/Weatherby) rifle. FOV is almost as overrated as X's when choosing a scope. I recognize that you need enough FOV, but when you have enough the extra is simply that, extra. The 2.5x8 has sufficient noncritical eye-relief (more important than an expansive FOV in a general purpose riflescope), more X's than necessary in a .375 cartridge, it is fairly light and compact, and it is durable. When you consider that all of this comes with a price tag that will allow you to respect it without worshiping it, I'd say the decision practically makes itself .
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've hunted with 375s for years with everything from receiver sights to 3x9......usually used 1x4 or 1.5x5 ......but recently bought a Trijicon 1.25x4 with the post reticle, green top. I love it....far superior for my old eyes.

I just put a Bushnell 6500 1.25x8 on my Ruger Alaska. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though. 6" of eye relieve if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    I'm thinking a Leupold VariX III 2.5-8X, especially since that is the scope on most of my other rifles. What do you think??
    Perfect. If you want a 30mm version a Leupold Euro in 2-7. If you're ever going to hunt cats in Africa I'd consider something with an illuminated reticle otherwise you're on the right track.

Brett

I have used the 2.5 x 8 Vari X III since they first came out an it is fast when set on 2.5 to 6 power with plenty of eye relief. I also have a VX III in 1.75 x 6 with the post/duplex reticle from Leupold's Custom Shop and believe it is a better choice for an all around glass for a .375. I have the VX III 1.5 x 5 with the German # 4 from the Custom Shop. If I was going to be blowing big critters off my muzzle on a regular basis I guess that would be my scope choice. I also read that the toughest variable scope Leupold makes is the 1.75 x 6 and a couple of well known rifle makers use it for test firing their finished product.. A guy I spoke to at the Custom Shop said "it probably is".

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have used the 2.5 x 8 Vari X III since they first came out an it is fast when set on 2.5 to 6 power with plenty of eye relief. I also have a VX III in 1.75 x 6 with the post/duplex reticle from Leupold's Custom Shop and believe it is a better choice for an all around glass for a .375. I have the VX III 1.5 x 5 with the German # 4 from the Custom Shop. If I was going to be blowing big critters off my muzzle on a regular basis I guess that would be my scope choice. I also read that the toughest variable scope Leupold makes is the 1.75 x 6 and a couple of well known rifle makers use it for test firing their finished product.. A guy I spoke to at the Custom Shop said "it probably is".
    I'm not much on the 1.5-5. There's better straight tube dangerous game scopes with a wider field of view and extended eye relief. Like the Swarovski Z6 1-6 EE. The 1.75-6 was what I had on my .375 my first safari for buffalo and plains game. If both dangerous game and plains game were on the menu not a bad choice. 2.5-8 is a great choice for North America and African plains game.

Brett

I just bought a 1.5-6X Burris Euro Diamond for my new .375. I haven't gotten a chance to mount it and/or shoot it yet, but so far it seems like a nice scope. I got the lighted reticle model because, as Brett mentions, I would love to hunt cats in Africa someday. I figured it also might come in handy for elk in the timber until I scrape up the money for the Africa trip. I will post back once I get the scope mounted and get the combo to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I just bought a 1.5-6X Burris Euro Diamond for my new .375. I haven't gotten a chance to mount it and/or shoot it yet, but so far it seems like a nice scope. I got the lighted reticle model because, as Brett mentions, I would love to hunt cats in Africa someday. I figured it also might come in handy for elk in the timber until I scrape up the money for the Africa trip. I will post back once I get the scope mounted and get the combo to the range.
    My uncle has the non illuminated version and it seemed to be a nice scope.

Brett

Leupold VXIII 1-5x20mm great scope indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Fixed 4x leupold. Or an older M8 fixed 3x if you can find one. Don't complicate the issue.

the Leupold 1.5x5 gets my vote.....here in Ak. I've had it on all rifles up to the .375RUM and it is still going...talk about reliable!

Thanks to all...I decided to put a Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5x on the Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger. I can always use another set of Ruger or Warne rings and put another one on as well ie. a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8x. Having a backup scope is always good. I also have a Leupold 2.5X fixed power as a spare scope to carry in case I need it. Thanks again for the good input....

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

My favorite scope for the Ruger African is a Zeiss conquest 3-9 with a Rapid Z 600 reticle. You get fabulous optics, plenty of eye relief, a good power range for close and medium range shots, and the reticle is an excellent way to remove holdover guesswork if you need to make a quick 300+ yard shot. Plus, with the rapid z calculator that Zeiss offers, you get the ability to match your load to the reticle by adjusting the magnification. This way, when you range an animal, you put the corresponding line on his shoulder and pull the trigger.

When I use 270 grain TSX the load matches the reticle at 7x, when using the 260 Accubond the load matches at 8.5x.

Thanks to all...I decided to put a Leupold Vari X III 1.5-5x on the Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger. I can always use another set of Ruger or Warne rings and put another one on as well ie. a Leupold Vari XIII 2.5-8x. Having a backup scope is always good. I also have a Leupold 2.5X fixed power as a spare scope to carry in case I need it. Thanks again for the good input....

Silver Tip

I think you made a good choice. I was going to recommend the same scope, as I have one on my .338WM and have been very pleased with it. I am sure you will be happy with it as well.

will the 1.5-5x be bright enough for our late evening moose with the small diameter obj? i was thinking about buying the 2.5-8x for my new 375 ruger but was a little worried about light gathering with the 32mm front obj. i currently use the vari x III 3.5-10x with the 40mm obj and it has worked great on my late evening moose. has anyone used either the 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 at the late evening light and what did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    will the 1.5-5x be bright enough for our late evening moose with the small diameter obj? i was thinking about buying the 2.5-8x for my new 375 ruger but was a little worried about light gathering with the 32mm front obj. i currently use the vari x III 3.5-10x with the 40mm obj and it has worked great on my late evening moose. has anyone used either the 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 at the late evening light and what did you think?
    If you're looking for last light scopes in the money range you were talking I'd suggest the Leupold Euro in 2-7x32. It has good eye relief. The glass is 6 of one.........with the VX3s. It also has a 30mm tube for greater light transmition. If that isn't doing it for you go Euro or go home.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast