Thread: Need new AV gas tank for the truck

Default Need new AV gas tank for the truck

I live in the interior and just ran into a problem with my fuel tank that had a crack in the seam. I am coming to anchorage this weekend, and am looking for a fuel tank. Probably around 100gals. Does anybody know of places in Anchorage or does anyone have one for sale.

You might try Greer tank @ 243-2455 and they do closed early on Sat. You could try getting it welded, some welding shop will weld a fuel tank.

AIH. Flat top, lower than Greer's, and doesn't block the rear view. Nicer paint, too. I'm not criticizing Greer. I have one of their tanks, too, but not in my truck.

The other option is Anchorage Tank. They are right behind AIH on Commercial Drive. You can look at both that way and make a decision.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My Av-Gas tank developed a crack in a corner weld due to ice building up between the tank and the truck bed. Finding somebody to re-weld that seam has been problematic.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    My Av-Gas tank developed a crack in a corner weld due to ice building up between the tank and the truck bed. Finding somebody to re-weld that seam has been problematic.
    FP,

I was thinking of welding one several yrs ago. Ya have to clean it out with special mixed powder and then air it out then put in nitrogen or some such to prevent an explosion. Real dangerous. I decided against it.

Rick

Filled mine with water and made the crack the high spot. Welded fine. Common sense has kept me alive so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Filled mine with water and made the crack the high spot. Welded fine. Common sense has kept me alive so far.
    Even a blind hog finds a nut every now and again Ha!.

Talk to Ellis at Ace Fuels next to Wendy's He may or may not have a tank but he will absolutely know where it get a good one.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Talked to Anchorage tank yesterday and they gave me dimensions for a tank that will fit in short bed of my truck, and even the price seemed good compared to greer tanks that won't even fit behind the cab of a short bed truck. Thanks for the info guys I'll be picking up the tank on Friday, and be back in the air on Sunday! Man, I love to fly.

Run the exhaust from a vehicle into it for about 15 minutes with the filler up then position it to weld the crack.Make sure it is well drained first. Works for me. You will need to dry the inside after because of moisture in the exhaust.