Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.E D Lights?

Default L.E D Lights?

hi again, any of you guys use l.e.d(light emiting diode) lights in your boats?...i guess they draw very little power and last a loooonnnng time!...thinking on doing the whole boat with them instead of incands! thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Larry,

I do not have LED lights on mine, but they may be a good idea for you. It seems like house battery charge capacity is an issue for at least some of the outboard guys. I don't recall the numbers, but the alternators do not have the output of what they put on diesels. Depending on how much sitting vs. running you are doing each day, if your alternators don't have the output to charge your batteries in the time that you are running, the size of your battery bank only has a limited effect on how long you can go. The thing that people do to compensate for this is to carry a honda generator and charge their batteries with it at night. Anything that you can do to limit the current draw up front would be a good step.

I am betting you will want to sit for hours in a protected anchorage with the lights on and enjoy the quiet without a generator running.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I don't have them on the boat but I am a river guy so not a lot of need. I am going to switch out the sled trailer though next summer. The prices are getting more reasonable now and not having to worry about getting pulled over with a trailer light out is worth the expense. Funny my trailer lights always work when I am heading out and only have issues when I am leaving the field headed home!

www.coastalnightlights.com

I ordered a LED spreader light from Chris when we we're going the hardtop route on our SportDrifter. I sent it back, but simply becuase we decided against the hardtop. I tried it out and boy did it put out some light, though.

I'm going to order some LED strips to put in my gunnels. I hastily installed some cheap Wamart units in my gunnels for hunting this fall and they worked great...when they worked, but are falling apart already. Coastal's units are first class, I've heard nothing but great things and will be ordering some from him soon for my gunnels.

Does anyone know if they make LED lights that you can simply swap out with the regular kind of light bulbs? Say for instance, the bulb in an anchor light or dome light?

I have LED lights on my boat and they work great, on the deck I have both red and white, I use the white at the dock getting ready and the red running so no night vision is lost. I do not know of any bulbs that switch out but the bulb holders will switch out with the LED holders. I use a lot of the 2-1/2" round snap in lights. the same wiring harness us used for both lights.

www.theledlight.com
    www.ledlight.com
    www.superbrightleds.com

We replaced the interior lamps and anchor light in our PWS boat with LED's, simple swap of the bulb and less worry about drawing down the batteries.

it makes no sense for me to have LED lights when its my fridge that kills my battery

If installing LED's at the build consider using multi bulb units, that means no more carrying along spare bulbs since all would not fail in a fixture at the same time. When you notice a few bulbs out you can replace the fixtue at your convience.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I have LED lights on my boat and they work great, on the deck I have both red and white, I use the white at the dock getting ready and the red running so no night vision is lost. I do not know of any bulbs that switch out but the bulb holders will switch out with the LED holders. I use a lot of the 2-1/2" round snap in lights. the same wiring harness us used for both lights.
    thanks gerberman....not sure what you mean by 2-1/2' round snaps?.....i like the idea of the reds, too, for night driving!...larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsboat View Post
    If installing LED's at the build consider using multi bulb units, that means no more carrying along spare bulbs since all would not fail in a fixture at the same time. When you notice a few bulbs out you can replace the fixtue at your convience.

multi bulb units...will talk to grant about that, too!.thanks jonsboat....................larrry

i have LED deck light that is awesome. have not coverted any lights in the cabin
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have had good luck with solar lights. I have a solar powered anchor light, thus I never turn on my regular one. I have some for the back deck that are great if I have been on shore until after dark, I can dinghy over and actually see the boat. I have some solar muffin-size lights that are on the dash, great for any kind of situation -just in case.

We use these throughout our PWS 28' Bayliner. They stick up anywhere, and run on AAA batteries. Plenty of cabin/reading light and no draw on main batteries.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    www.theledlight.com
    www.ledlight.com
    www.superbrightleds.com

We replaced the interior lamps and anchor light in our PWS boat with LED's, simple swap of the bulb and less worry about drawing down the batteries.
    Any chance you remember which bulb you got? I looked through your links and see some that might work, but I think they all aim the same direction. The ones I currently have for the anchor light are the kind that have the pointy ends.

I don't off hand, and have some spares out at the shop. I'll swing by tonight and grab one. I do remember having the stock bulb in my hand, making a phone call and had a few on the way. I just don't remember which site it was, sorry.

I have looked into swapping out the bulbs in the main cabin with these: here The bulbs I am looking at will replace my seven thirsty, recessed halogens. They are spendy at about $30 a bulb, but like JRogers mentioned, I wouldn't run the honda 2000 as much.

The research I have done shows that they use less than 10% of the power of standard bulbs. I replaced my rear deck lights with LEDs and they draw just a bit more than an amp combined. They are the lunar LED lights. Very nice!

I also have three of the portable ones that Lone Wolf posted. Three of them in the main cabin sets the perfect mood for enjoying a bourbon served over glacial ice while swapping lies about the days events.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I put a LED bulb in my fold-up white anchor light/all-around light so I could leave it on all night when anchored up and not get paranoid about draining my battery.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I put a LED bulb in my fold-up white anchor light/all-around light so I could leave it on all night when anchored up and not get paranoid about draining my battery.
    That's the kind of bulb I'm looking for. W. Marine said they didn't think there was an LED bulb that could just be swapped out with a regular bulb. But I just don't think they're aware of them. Where did you get yours?

I have replaced all my lights with LEDs on my Sea Ray. All markers and cabin lights. All my cabin lights have 2 settings, white and red for running.

I replaced the big galley light with this:

http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22969

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast