Thread: WOW! The Alcohol pop can stove!

Thumbs up WOW! The Alcohol pop can stove!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove

Anyone else see this before, & have used one? WOW, this solves all kinds of backpacking weight issues...two, 12oz bottles of Heet & this in yer backpack & yer set for a week!

Looks intriguing! I might have to drink a couple cans of Pepsi and see if I can build one!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I use a Caldera Keg, the entire thing weights about 6oz for the stove and pot.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Have several of them. There is a learning curve to building one. Almost none of the info on the internet gives you perfect directions. Expect to build many before you get one that works well.

Better to use denatured alcohol than HEET if you have the option. HEET works, but denatured alcohol works much better.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Might be a cool lil project for me and the boy to try out together. Would I use it, not sure, but it'll be a nice experience playing around with one. Thanks!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Tinny's the man for ultra light stoves! He's got tons of youtube videos on all things ultra light camping and seems like quite the character. I've built a few stoves from aluminum beer bottles and pots from Heineken cans.

http://www.minibulldesign.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/minibull...25/qWSi_IfvEFY

Jason Klass has some good ideas too!

http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/stoves.htm

I have built several varieties too. They are extremely light, for sure. Because they operate under low pressure, they don't handle wind very well. I would probably choose it for canoe trekking or other lowland adventures, but for mountain or tundra hunting a gas stove is better.
    What JOAT said- the denatured alcohol is the best fuel for these things.

I have a similar one. They are indeed lightweight. I've never actually used mine on a backpacking trip yet. Based on my tests 2 oz. of HEET would bring 2 cups of cold water to a rapid boil and keep it boiling for 10-12 minutes. Having some sort of wind shield seems to be pretty critical on mine to get the most efficient use of the fuel.

The version that I found works the best is the "penny stove" using the construction methods outlined on this guy's site...

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

The penny acts as a pressure regulator and covers the fueling port. Also, direct the jets to the inside, not the outside. Gives you a much better heat concentration on your pot. I found that a modified version of the Heinekin can stove done using soda cans worked the best.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystov...einstruct.html
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

The easiest one I've made only takes a few minutes to make: just cut the bottom 1 1/2 - 2" off the bottom of a popcan and use a paper punch to cut about 16 holes just under the rim. I had exact directions somewhere. I find that alcohol stoves save weight for short trips, but if you weigh it out for longer trips then you're better off using a canister stove.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I agree with the short trip assessment. I can see one of these stoves finding it's way into my ultralight summer overnight kit. Even a quick weekend kit it would probably do well. Any more than that I am going back to the canister stove.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

K well i am going to build one that will cook a MEAL!.... you know those heinikin 1 gallon mini kegs at Fred meyers... oh baby...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I use mine mostly for fly ins. In most of the villages canister fuels are not available. I'm a always have a stove on your body type and I always carry either the jet boil or my caldera keg.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm thinking my cast iron camp skillet might crush it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have used alcohol stoves a lot on long backpacking trips. Last summer I used the Caldera Keg. The whole setup, including the stove, wind screen, cozy (a cozy is an insulator that holds in the heat of the food/boiled water, so in effect it takes the place of simmering,) plastic mug/bowl that also serves as the protective "carrying caddy," etc., weighs a little over 6 oz, plus fuel. Most folks on the long trails such as the Appalachian Trail use alcohol stoves because they are so light. For me, up to about 10 days, they are the best choice. I don't do a lot of fancy cooking involving simmering and the like. I use my alcohol stoves to boil a couple of cups of water in the evening which I use along with some sort of cozy to "cook" pasta, Knorr's Sides Plus, and the like. Often I'll boil water for oatmeal in the morning. I use about 20ml of fuel to boil two cups of water. (20ml is about 2/3 oz.) Conventional alcohol stoves are not good for boiling large amounts of water. A 12 oz. bottle of fuel (like most thru-hikers I carry it in a marked soft-drink bottle. I also put a rubber band around the neck and cap of the bottle to help avoid chugging my fuel!) lasts for about 18 boils, which is over a week for me. HEET, which is used by most thru-hikers because of availability and the size of the bottle (vs. 1 quart to 1 gallon for most denatured fuel) seems to burn almost as good as denatured.

Alcohol stoves must be carefully sheltered from wind, definitely carry a windscreen. For two people it would likely pay to use a canister or white gas stove if out for a week or more. Those who want to simmer or do other fancy cooking or who are very impatient likely won't like an alcohol stove, but those who want to go as light as possible and have simple cooking needs should definitely consider an alcohol stove.