Thread: What's the Story with the Nelchina Caribou Hunt

Default What's the Story with the Nelchina Caribou Hunt

So what's the true story about the qualifications for hunting the Nelchina herd? I thought I heard that if you received the permit, you were not allowed to hunt for moose and caribou anywhere else in the state except unit 13. But, I have already talked to quite a few guys who got their permits and I know darn well they were hunting in unit 14 for moose. I also thought I heard that the destruction of antlers was required at the kill site. Apparently some guys are coming back with racks. What's the story? Have I heard wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So what's the true story about the qualifications for hunting the Nelchina herd? I thought I heard that if you received the permit, you were not allowed to hunt for moose and caribou anywhere else in the state except unit 13. But, I have already talked to quite a few guys who got their permits and I know darn well they were hunting in unit 14 for moose. I also thought I heard that the destruction of antlers was required at the kill site. Apparently some guys are coming back with racks. What's the story? Have I heard wrong?
    There were a few different "editions" of permits this year.

Initially, there was the tier I permits. The people who got these ended up with just the early hunt, August 20 - Sep. 20 I think it was. People who got those permits were bound by the rules you noted above, the restriction of hunting in only unit 13 for caribou and moose (applies to the entire household) and destruction of antlers in the field (but they could still bring them back after split if they desired). Due to a court order, things changed after that hunt. A separate tier II hunt was set up after the initial tier I hunt. This tier II hunt did not have the same restrictions of the first tier I hunt. This is the hunt that people are hunting right now. No restriction on other hunting by them or the family other than normal limits of 1 caribou/person/year and things like that. No antler destruction requirements. The tier II was based on the old points scoring system based on things such as time spent in the unit, previous years eating from animals from the area, location of residence, etc...

The story behind the story is that there are the haves and the have-nots.