Thread: Kodiak spring hunt transportion opinions

Default Kodiak spring hunt transportion opinions

Hello

I was lucky enough to draw DB252. Finally have some other issues out of the way and want to solidify transportation into the field. I'm between a couple options. We can either ferry over a buddies 28 foot ocean boat and make the 70 mile trip to hunting area. Or go the float plane option and figure on taking a small boat and outboard?

I see benefits both ways. Having our larger boat gives mobility and most likely cover more ground. It does make logistics a bit more difficult. Doing the plane option makes it more cut and dry. Hunt area would most likely be smaller. It will be my first kodiak hunt so really just trying to do as much research as possible to prepare.

So just looking for pros and cons for each from people who have been there done that. Would like to get things figured out asap.

Thanks

I did the ferry and a float plane with an outboard with raft last season. We stayed in a wildlife refuge cabin the whole trip was about 4400.00 or 1100.00 a piece for 4. We took two trips in a beaver so we had a generator and lights great camp. Good luck.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Fly with Rolan!!!

I second roland...sea hawk
    I ♥ Big Sheep

My vote is for seahawk air. I used them for the first time this spring for a brown bear hunt. Their entire operation was top notch. My partner has been using them for some time and has had nothing but good things to say. I have also heard good things about Adrews Air but have not used them personally. Get as many opinions as you can because choosing the wrong transporter can definitely put a damper on your trip. Also check old threads on this subject. This is potentialy the trip of a life time if you put the time into preparing and have the right attitude.

Rolan and Seahawk are topnotch; call him and get his advice; he is great, Tim Griffith used his service last spring and is very satisfied

Boat and outboard. You may not need it, but if you don't bring it, you definitely will.

Roland is on the top of the list to fly, that said I've heard nothing but good things about Andrews too. I think its going to be about the same to fly or ferry the boat.

Money is not so much the concern as determining the best way to get in

Thanks for the tips so far!

Depending on where you are hunting the plane seems like more of a sure thing to get you in. For a 70 mile trip you only need a small window of good weather to get dropped. With the boat you will need a pretty good stretch of calm weather to make the journey. I guess a lot of that depends on how seaworthy the boat is though.

Andrew Airways....great operation and just my 2 cents. It was my first experience with transportation on Kodiak.. not much to guage it to. They were great!

Taj was a great pilot and the staff was second to none in dealing with me and my buddy.(lunch runs, hotel pickup, shopping etc..they allowed us to do it all and picked us up.

Good luck..make sure you check all your gear, have a great packing list and have fun. Great overall experience. Have 3 more years to wait and I will start putting in for the draw again.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Depending on where you are hunting the plane seems like more of a sure thing to get you in. For a 70 mile trip you only need a small window of good weather to get dropped. With the boat you will need a pretty good stretch of calm weather to make the journey. I guess a lot of that depends on how seaworthy the boat is though.
    OR, more likely, "How Tough the Boat Riders are......"

Your area, Uganik Bay, is Five hours (@8kts) of pretty protected waters, (up thru Whale Pass, etc.) then turning the corner into the Shelikof could be wild for an hour or so before you are back in to somewhat protected cruising for the rest. 70mi, approx 8 hrs in an avg mellow vessel. Half that if you want to Jam out there.
    Most of your run is fairly protected tho, well I guess getting out of town could also be a wild 45 minutes or so if it's blowin Easterly.... pretty nice if out of any other direction

Sometimes the Boats are going when the Planes are waiting for that small window they need....
    also, Boats can run at night, get you there for first light, not too many pilots will do that.....

What I wonder the MOST about Boat Transporting is, would the passengers be tough enough, or maybe hungry enough, to get out there. Could beat Flying hands down if they are............????

and then, some folks Never get Seasick at all, they just think it's all SO exciting
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Andrew Airways should be your first call. Dean has three beavers and a C-206 on floats. Some of the other operators only have one aircraft and when something takes them out of service they have no backup.