Thread: Beeper or Bell?

Default Beeper or Bell?

I'm trying to decide between a beeper, or just an old fashion bell. Any thoughts?

Definitely a beeper! A bell is nice enough for a dog that works at close range, way too close range. I empower my dogs to get out there and find birds. Why today two of my Brittanys were out as far as 200 yds or more most of the time. Sometimes I lose sight of them. They will check in with me just fine, but if one of my dogs finds a bird he'll stand point until he dies of starvation and exposure. I'm a big fan of the Tri-tronics Upland Special e-collar with beeper. I have mine set to "point only" mode, and I can turn it on and off from my transmitter. I have several of these collars, but I've been using the newest G3 model and running three of my dogs together some times. A beeper will help you find your dog on point quicker.

Here's Rudy pointing some ptarmigan in the brush with Charlie honoring from behind. Both dogs are wearing the Tri-tronics Upland Special collars.

Jim

Jim thanks for your thoughts. I was leaning toward a beeper even with my close working Ryman Setter. I was looking at the tri-tronics upland sport G3. It runs about $350. There is the G3 exp, but thats over $500....little out of my range right now. I've read in a few books of trainig problems developed from the use of a beeper (recent article in upland almanac actually). Also has there been any studies on canine hearing loss due to beepers? They can be loud. What do you think?

I have a beeper you can try. I have gps collar so I don't use the beeper. Sent you a pm.

No studies on the deafness issue that I know of. My oldest Brittany is mostly deaf, but it's a genetic deal with him. I guess the Sport model will work, just be sure before you buy so you don't have to buy two.

I only turn my beepers on when I feel the need, and I turn them off as soon as I know where the dog is pointing. Sometimes I can hear the blasted beeper but, like trying to locate a drumming ruffed grouse, it can be difficult to get 'er done quickly.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    I have a beeper you can try. I have gps collar so I don't use the beeper. Sent you a pm.
    Thanks! Didn't get the PM, my box was full. I just cleared it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    No studies on the deafness issue that I know of. My oldest Brittany is mostly deaf, but it's a genetic deal with him. I guess the Sport model will work, just be sure before you buy so you don't have to buy two.

I only turn my beepers on when I feel the need, and I turn them off as soon as I know where the dog is pointing. Sometimes I can hear the blasted beeper but, like trying to locate a drumming ruffed grouse, it can be difficult to get 'er done quickly.

Jim
    Get point Jim. Those upland specials are nice. I just did a little more reading on both of them. I'm the type of person that tries to buy the best stuff possible, even if I have to save up for a few more months. With Paxson being ogne from Jan-April, that should give me some time to get a little extra loot in the bank! I'm gonna continue to do some more research on some of the other collars available. The trainer he is going to uses DT systems. So far, I'm leaning toward tri-tronics. Thanks again for the input!

I use both but for different occasions...hunting heavier brush I like the bell to keep track of the dogs. Beeper for the longer casts in open country. Having said that, I also get tired of hearing the bell sometimes. I definitely would get tired of the beeper going constantly. My dogs have the beeper on all the times, but I only turn it on when I need it. I like the Tri-tronics system. Any beeper you buy I suggest that you make sure it has the remote switch so you can turn it off and on from the transmitter.
    Often times if I am using the bell and it goes silent and I cannot locate the dog quickly I use the beeper as a backup. Hit that a couple times and I can zero in.
    There is a little "romantic" (for lack of better word) aspect of the bell, it is a classic method used in the grouse woods of New England where I grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I use both but for different occasions...hunting heavier brush I like the bell to keep track of the dogs. Beeper for the longer casts in open country. Having said that, I also get tired of hearing the bell sometimes. I definitely would get tired of the beeper going constantly. My dogs have the beeper on all the times, but I only turn it on when I need it. I like the Tri-tronics system. Any beeper you buy I suggest that you make sure it has the remote switch so you can turn it off and on from the transmitter.
    Often times if I am using the bell and it goes silent and I cannot locate the dog quickly I use the beeper as a backup. Hit that a couple times and I can zero in.
    There is a little "romantic" (for lack of better word) aspect of the bell, it is a classic method used in the grouse woods of New England where I grew up.
    Thank you for the input! I kind of liked the "romantic" idea o the bell. Thatís one of the reasons I was looking at them. At this point, I'm going to go with a trainer/beeper combo. I'm leaning toward the tri-tronics upland special G3 exp. It's the one Jim was referring to. It's kind of on the spendy side, but seems to have many more features than other comparable ones. Plus tri-tronics has a great reputation.

Hoyt,

I am using a Northwoods bell at least until Winchester is a year old, then going to have one of the Trionics Upland e-collars. The bell works great, he ranges way out and I don't have any problem hearing it. It really minimizes anxiety when I can't see him in the thick stuff. I expect as I too will use both eventually as I really don't like electronics in the field. Only reason I am going that direction at all is concern for the pup.

Bells are cheap... give it a try. If you don't like it then spend the money for the beeper. But I think the Tritronic is a great system. But bells never run out of batteries even if you forget to charge them the night before. My .02.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

good point byrd hntr....despite the vow to always replace or charge batteries it will happen one day that the battery will die when needed

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Hoyt,

I am using a Northwoods bell at least until Winchester is a year old, then going to have one of the Trionics Upland e-collars. The bell works great, he ranges way out and I don't have any problem hearing it. It really minimizes anxiety when I can't see him in the thick stuff. I expect as I too will use both eventually as I really don't like electronics in the field. Only reason I am going that direction at all is concern for the pup.
    I was thinking about trying the bell. I haven't yet,because Paxson is a pretty close working dog. Where did you get that bell?

Thanks for your thought and opinions guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I was thinking about trying the bell. I haven't yet,because Paxson is a pretty close working dog. Where did you get that bell?
    Hoyt,

Here is the website for where I got it. THey were real quick and easy to deal with.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Brand/Better...ange-Bell.html

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Hoyt,

Here is the website for where I got it. THey were real quick and easy to deal with.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Brand/Better...ange-Bell.html
    Thanks! Lookslike Lion Country supply. I've gotten a number of things from them. Thanks again.

Today's e-collar/beeper units aren't that hard to keep energized. There are car chargers that allow you to plug in your collar and transmitter enroute the hunting area if you forgot to do it at home the night before. Only takes 2 hours for a full charge that will last for days. As for the beeper batteries, if you think the battery is getting close to replacement time, replace it, don't skimp.

I've hunted the bells, like 'em, but have settled on the beepers. It's a matter of how close your dog hunts. If your dog ranges way out you'll be looking for him on point for a long time in big country and heavy brush.

And if your dog is in trouble, like caught in a snare or something, I want to get there right quick. Been there and experienced that.

A Garmin Astro GPS collar is another thought. I run one of those now and then. But they're not cheap.

Jim