Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Can Change a Man

Default Wilderness Can Change a Man

The wilderness can change a man............
    There is a real transformation that can metamorphose within a man who is alone in the wilderness. He can exit the wilderness fragile, very fragile, he is no longer sure where that which is himself ends and that which is not himself starts.

Everything is kind of fuzzy, and has a softness about it, all things appear slightly blurred to the eye, like after one has been crying, and it can be hard to distinguish where one object stops and another object starts.

He feels weak and vulnerable, but centered. In fact he is stronger, but the feeling of weakness, and vulnerability comes from the loss of arrogance.

There is a clarity about the perfection of everything. Sounds are crisper, colors are different, there are so many more (new) colors now.

He feels as if he is looking through things and through people, this is a very uncomfortable experience, he tries to focus, but he just looks through everything.

Part of him wants to go back to the way it was, before being alone in the wilderness. But he also enjoys the bliss of how it is now. He wants to weep for no reason, but for the perfection of everything.

He has change, and can not change back to that which he was before, being alone in the wilderness.

I know not of drugs, but being alone in the wilderness, for long periods will change your perception of the universe. The universe is the same, but you have shifted to a place where you can see, with new eyes, a new heart, and a new empathy for all life. You have been born a second time, and are a child of the wilderness.

There was a time long ago, that a man was encouraged to go into the wilderness alone for a extended period, so that he might find wisdom about life. Sad it is discouraged today. Welcome home....welcome home. Home from the wilderness, for he free to return at any time to your true nature.

Sounds like you might be speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Sounds like you might be speaking from experience.
    I wrote that for a friend who had gone off into the wilderness for 30 days alone. He was having a hard time coming back to his old existence. It is based on my 6 months alone in the wilderness, with no human contact.

Thanks for sharing, I liked it.

I have a person who I know who wasn't a mean angry person but he was a little more intense than "normal" He bought a very remote piece of land and moved there during the summers (living in a tent while he is building his cabin.

He came back to town 6 months later and he has become a serene, soft spoken smiling guy. He was telling me that on quiet nights he could just make out the jets from Elmendorf 70 miles away.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Very well written.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

a very well written piece indeed, it make one wish that all people could experience the solitude & the realness of being alone in the wilderness to regroup & find ones self a sort of looking at the world & life in general through anothers eyes or different perspective, but then i start to think that the majority of folks couldnt handle it long enough to see the forrest for the tree's meaning they wouldnt or dont know how to appreciate the grandure of such great & remote places, so in one aspect im glad for that because it takes a special kind of person to recognize & appreciate such a unique & rare opportunity, so for those who are fortunate enough to have such an experience & become a better person for it be extreemly greatful for very few people get that chance & let those special moments slip through their lives never again getting that opportunity, for those that sieze the moment you are part of a small elite group that has seen the world the way it was meant to be viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.AK View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I liked it.
    Me too. My blood pressure has gone down since I got a cabin. So has the digital scale in the bathroom, but who is telling.

I can relate. The wife and I homesetaded for 5 years or so way out past the head of Kachemak Bay. But, I realized early on that I was weak and "fuzzy" and felt vulnerable before we went out to the bush to build our cabin and make a life. I solidified living out there, learning my limits and that I could do whatever was necessary if there was nowhere to go but forward towards what was confronting me.
    Coming back after those glorious free years everything was more in focus than ever and I had little time for the usually accepted daily b.s. of civilization. I wish I could have stayed there until my dying day, but life has things in store you never figure on. I am definitely changed, the spruce and birch and muskeg in my blood now. I don't feel like I was reborn, but that I was shown in no uncertain terms who I really was, no arrogance involved, just the reality of life that only wilderness can teach you.

At the risk of sounding like I enjoy poetry...and thats what your writing is AGL...pure poetry...I do like it....maybe to like it you have to have had the perspective or experience to understand it....that is why most poetry is so hard to enjoy...you have to understand it's meaning or have had the same thoughts/feelings to enjoy it..

good stuff for sure...

I had a summer and a fall of life completely in the wilderness...I was not alone all the time, but enough to get some of the same feelings..

Nothing like getting off a plane in Anchorage after 84 days in the bush to give your system a shock!!

Great post! There is no way to describe what happens or how it happens but that is close. After spending time at my cabin alone, it is hard to go home although I miss my family....

Some people can find whatever it is they are looking for in solotude, I did.

Those who can not are driven mad by their lonely quest.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Once you come back out you can hear the buzz of electricy in the power lines and the smell of a running truck can make you nauseous.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

AGL4now, That is simply some of the best communication of Truth I have read in a LONG time,

Amazing how hard it is to put into words experience like that but you pulled it off pretty well,

I'm printing that up for the Archives, my stash of Great Writing and Quotes that I have found,

Plan to have my boys read something like that before they get to go out on their own solo journey someday,
    Thanks,
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

If the Wilderness can change a man, I am sending out my husband on the first flight out to stay out there in 50 below weather. I'm sure that we both would appreciate him coming back in 3-6 months.
    A wife could only wish....
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    If the Wilderness can change a man, I am sending out my husband on the first flight out to stay out there in 50 below weather. I'm sure that we both would appreciate him coming back in 3-6 months.
    Or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Or vice versa.
    Cracking me up. I'd do it. I think that I'd actually like it. It would be nice to be out, remote.. away from pollution and people... and my husband.
    Lurker.

Sounds like a plus, plus either way.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sounds like a plus, plus either way.
    ...but this thread was about how the wilderness changes a MAN... not a WOMAN.. so, I guess the husband needs to get a move on it and get on out of here.
    Lurker.

I have seen it work two ways. Either a guy comes back with a new found sense of humility or he comes back a babbling idiot. Both are very Profound Change.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Which one applies to you Res?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast