Thread: Kenai Brown Bear Permit swanson river area. Any suggestions?

Default Kenai Brown Bear Permit swanson river area. Any suggestions?

My wife has a Kenai NWR Brown Bear permit. We've had some good luck with good signs in her hunt area. Anyone have any good suggestions? The area is north of the Sterling HWY and west of Mystery Creek road to the water. They must come out at night as we haven't seen much in the morning or during the day?

What are the permit dates?

Might want to try to call one in with a predator call, just make sure you have plenty of backup.

PM inbound Thumpem'.....

If its within your legal hunting zone, put a tree stand up on sucker creek about 1/4 mile in.

Smile

sO DB 305? I think its good to Nov 30 when then will all be denned anyways if they arent already. You need to find some late run silvers and geoff is right that Sucker creek is a good bet. I dont know if chickaloon river has some off mystery creek road. There are tons of brownies off swanson river road in general and some may still be feeding or traveling along the river itself.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Sucker creek should have lots of silvers in it, and it gets hit hard by the browns this time of year. I have seen tracks and tore up silvers there in the snow in december. There used to be an old wooden tree stand in a tree back in there right over the creek I think only a few boards remain. I would hang a stand in that area. I envy you, I would love to have that tag.

Thanks for the advice so far. Sucker creek is where my wife and I have seen some pretty good signs. Here's a set of tracks she was able to get both her feet in. Granted she's 100lbs wet but the pad was still about 9 inches plus across. Bears up to the end of November makes me feel better. The dates go up to the 30 of November and then again in the spring April1-June15 if she doesn't get one in the fall. Think we'll try the treestand idea as well.
    71654_1549643593038_1593564536_1313130_1960130_n.jpg

Hey if your a local guy (kenai,soldotna) and need a treestand I wouldnt mind loaning you one if your in need. I have a few. Im all about helping your wife thin out the brownies on the swanson. Send me a PM if you want to borrow one and maybe we can arrange something. Im leaving friday morning for 10 days for a Montana hunt but back on the 7th. Good luck post pics if she connects.

Hey thanks for the offer. I do have 2 tree stands so I'm good to go there. We are going to be down there the 5, 6 and 7th. We will maybe go again the next weekend if she doesn't get one that weekend. A lot of people we've talked to say there are way too many brownies out there and something needs to be done to bring the moose back. Well hopefully we'll be able to help. We'll definately post some pics if she dunks a big one.

Hey Thumpem, did I run into you and your wife at the river end of Swanson River Road a couple weekends back? I talked to a couple in a green(?) P/U loading a canoe looking to fill a wife's bear tag. I can tell you I hunt that area quite a bit and have for a long time....the bears will definitely stay out of dens very late into the year depending on weather. So far this has been the type of season that will keep them out late, lots of food and mild weather. Good luck, look forward to seeing pics of the wife and the brownie.

Yeah we talked to you at the landing. We had a green canoe and just got done floating up and down the river. We are heading down there this next weekend and hope to get the "big one". she is verry excited and can't wait. We will definately post pics. It was good talking to you.

Put up 2 tree stands used a game caller and no bears. But when we got back to the road there were bear tracks and dead fish everywhere. Dang bears outsmarted us. Should have put the stands next to the road.

Tried to send PM, wouldn't allow...

Just find a little ankle biting dog and walk him up and down the road in the wee hours. It seems to have worked accidentally for a few folk recently.

Thumpem, my permit for the area has gone unfilled too. A few trips to Sucker Creek & other places in the area have yielded much sign but no critters. Was back up Monday morning but the snow on the road beyong the plowed area (Dolly Varden Lake area) was getting deep for my rig(about knee deep & my truck has a plow frame that really reduces clearance) so I came home.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Thumpem, my permit for the area has gone unfilled too. A few trips to Sucker Creek & other places in the area have yielded much sign but no critters. Was back up Monday morning but the snow on the road beyong the plowed area (Dolly Varden Lake area) was getting deep for my rig(about knee deep & my truck has a plow frame that really reduces clearance) so I came home.
    That road gets plowed all the way all year so make sure you go back and kill a brownie

Well, they are still out. There is a good sized one hanging out in the longmere lake area this week. But I dont think that is your area. It would be great tracking with the snow!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Long hrs in the stand is what its ganna take on sucker cr early morn and dusk. It will be cold. But I think its your best bet.

We hit the deep snow also. Saw a set of tracks but kinda small. Dead fish everywhere. I think it was a black bear. Funs over now I'm back to work. My wife can't wait for spring to get here. It's going to be a long winter!