Thread: Caribou

Default Caribou

Neighbor has a HT where can we go to fill it, I normal help with skinning and small jobs so he's the only one shooting. Its not tier1 or 2 just a Harvest ticket everything I see is drawing or tier am i seeing this wrong or something. Also alot of antlered bulls are being taken out of 13. Thought for tier hunts the antlers need to be split and left in field?

Drive about 700-800 miles north, park the rig and walk in 5-10 miles off the Haul Road.

This year the unit 13 bou antlers don't need to be destroyed. It has been discussed on a couple of previous threads.

Good luck to your neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    Neighbor has a HT where can we go to fill it, I normal help with skinning and small jobs so he's the only one shooting. Its not tier1 or 2 just a Harvest ticket everything I see is drawing or tier am i seeing this wrong or something. Also alot of antlered bulls are being taken out of 13. Thought for tier hunts the antlers need to be split and left in field?
    I would recommend getting you hands on a copy of the hunting regulations (either online or free from just about any sporting goods store). Look through the "caribou" section of each unit and look for any units that have an open season for caribou that only require a harvest ticket. You will find that most require a permit or are some kind of registration hunt, but there are one or two still open. The one I know of is off the Haul Road up north between Fairbanks and the North Slope. As mentioned above, there is a 5 mile corridor where you are only allowed to hunt with a bow (requires certification for archery hunting). If you hike out or fly out beyond the 5-mile corridor, you can hunt with rifles. It is a VERY tough hike, but it is doable for those who want to. Check out the threads that refer to the haul road for more information on this hunt.

Hope that helps.

Throwing this out there but do not wander into unit 13 and shoot a caribou, with a harvest ticket. You will have some serious issues, if you do that.