Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is a HUNTER.......? What Skill-Set is required...?

Default WHAT is a HUNTER.......? What Skill-Set is required...?

From the reports of the "Hunters" in unit 13 caribou hunt last weekend, one wonders what is a hunter.......? What constitutes a hunter, what is the required skill-set for one to be considered a hunter.......? Surely one could be a hunter and NOT be an Outdoors Man.

The definition of a hunter would have to be a pretty genarac and vague to be able to describe everyone that hunts. Some people say cruising down a trail on a wheeler with a gun is hunting, others argue that it isn't. I consider myself a hunter, I have hiked many miles with no one around before looking for animals, but I have also rode my 4 wheeler in the woods too. You can not say the guys doing the unit 13 caribou hunt are not hunters simply because of the way that hunt is done because know there are several guys participating in that hunt that have also hiked close to the end of the earth and climbed to the tops of the mountains with out the comfort of the rv, wheeler, boat, etc.

I would say "making a killing shot 65% of the time" based on the stats that Vince posted....

True hunter is a man (or a woman) who can live of the land. Modern equipment, GPS, magnums, ATW...are used if available but gear is not the issue. Individual skills in hunting, shooting,survival, woodsman craft ...these are all important to the hunter. But the key isue is inside of your own head: You must live with, not fight, against nature. Take game when it`s available but remember tomorrow...killing is sometimes so easy but you must save something for your children`s. My grandfather was a professional hunter and trapper, my father is a semiprofessional, and I just started hunting 1975...

My reference to Unit 13 was about reports of people herd shooting at caribou from 800 yards away, and shooting over someones head.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I would say "making a killing shot 65% of the time" based on the stats that Vince posted....
    dkwarthog, do you mean killing an animal on 65% of all hunting trips or killing 65% of the animals shot at?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    dkwarthog, do you mean killing an animal on 65% of all hunting trips or killing 65% of the animals shot at?
    I was referring to the statistic previously posted that 35% of the bou shot at are wounded and not recovered...

I guess I was wondering if the title hunter is self assigned, by the act of buying a hunting license and a weapon, and declaring: "I am now a hunter". Or is hunter a title bestowed onto one by others, a kind acknowledgment of ones skill and reverence for hunting.

I would say AGL, that unfortunately, in the eyes of jane Q public, buying a license makes you a "hunter" and thereby all hunters get judged by the actions of few....

Now, OTOH, all of us here in this fine forum would expect the title of "hunter" to incorporate just a bit more...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I was referring to the statistic previously posted that 35% of the bou shot at are wounded and not recovered...
    Roger that...I have to agree with your subsequent statement in that the collective "we" should expect more/better.

Hunters, like leaders, acquire the title from others through hard work, ethical behavior and a good attitude. Character is earned, not bestowed.

Here is my definition of being a hunter: Not partaking in the Goat $%&@ this past weekend in unit 13 Caribou hunt.
    Not shooting from your vehicle and think you are Carlos Hathcock shooting at the NVA 800 plus yds or more. If you are going to shoot 300-400 yds buy the good range finder not the one I use for Archery the Bushnell sport 450 something like that. 95% of you are running around with the same one or equivalent. Oh a good hunter will group his ammo most hunters I seen it too 2 inch or bigger groups at a 100 and call it good hhmmmm whats that group at 300 yds 8O. I could go on and on but will stop.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and that is NOT what i posted... please see what i wrote... thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"but in talking to a F&G bio this fall regarding sub legal harvest reported vs unreported... (either SSS or made it to garage un detected) the comment was made that wounding was estimated at 35%..."

Vince, above is what you posted. Sorry if I misread it, but if youre not referring to wounded, not recovered, ....what did you mean? ohhh.. and I realize that is just a number that was thrown out and not a "true" statistic...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

"but in talking to a F&G bio this fall regarding sub legal harvest reported vs unreported... (either SSS or made it to garage un detected) the comment was made that wounding was estimated at 35%..."

Vince, above is what you posted. Sorry if I misread it, but if youre not referring to wounded, not recovered, ....what did you mean? ohhh.. and I realize that is just a number that was thrown out and not a "true" statistic...
    first i was not referring to 35% OF THE CARIBOU SHOT AT ...

s the conversation was interrupted and unfinished i was unable at the time to clarify , but i believe it had to do with % of harvest... we were in discussion over the troopers report of 120 sub legal moose being taken... i asked the dept rep HOW do they figure the number of moose NOT reported into the harvest due to sub legal take, waste, or made it home with out knowing... he said.. he felt ..

those that made it home prolly did fill out a tag and called it a legal animal of some sort. but that they already figured wounding loss at 35%..(converstion over) i would have to take that as 35% of the harvest figured into the equation of population dinamics... that is WHY i asked if anyone else had more on it... please do not take that statement as anything other then something to mull over until more information comes forward. i stated clearly it was incomplete and prolly should have kept my mouth shut... but the direction of the threads regarding the bou in Nelchina and enough stories this year about 700 yard shots, don't think we hit it till it fell... type stuff... 35% is a dang high figure for a dept person to throw out there. i think they figure... ( I THINK) 35% of wounding AND LOSS. associated with hunting... of the harvest taken. ... reading these threads and seeing what i watched at least two animals get wouded by and 8-10 year old shooting at ~500 yards... i am betting 35% may be a good number for the harvest taken... BETTING> not stateing.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the clarification Vince, sorry I jumped the gun. I had bou on the brain since everyone was talking about the Nelchina goat rope...

HUNTER Defined:
    Question first though; Do you want the
    Federal Definition...or ....the State Definition???

The Dual Management System requires Dualling Definitions!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I was going to stay out of this, but do any of you see the simalarities with the bison in the lower 48 and this ( meat thing, can't call it a hunt as Vince say's.)

Just wondering.

Sorry Vince, I just see the whole thing going down hill, and you are all for it. ( just don't get it, first the cow's in Delta, the Bears, The caribou,)

I guess it is as much your state as mine, so go and kill them all off so your kids won't have the same thing that we had.

A few of the posts on here got me to thinking ( boiling) and I had to sit back and tell myself that there is a new wave of hunters that have intered the state looking for advice, and some of you oldtimer's encourage them to do the same as they did in the lower 48.

God help Alaska.

You are wrong it seems Alaska has hadvthis problem for awhile hell everyone knows about chicken and the fiasco's that come out of there. You blaming the new guys coming to Alaska is wrong we do know this majority of the hunters on the Denali this weekend have been in Alaska for awhile not some newby like myself been here only two yrs I knew better to put in for that hunt. But typical excuse blame the new guys when you should point the finger at some of the residents that been here for a long while. Sure some folks got the tag that been here for 4 years or less got the tag.

323 This will be my last post on this, I am not against true hunters coming up here and enjoying the great outdoors, I am however against the people that think that this country is a shooting gallery and that encludes the locals and the newbys.

Look at the pages and pages of the newcomers that are asking questions, and look at there location, most are from the city of anch. and just want to kill something

Take a look at who is asking questions. Then take a look at those that answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast