Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHAT is a OUTDOORS MAN.........?

Default WHAT is a OUTDOORS MAN.........?

What is a Outdoors Man......? What is the skill-set required to be considered a Outdoors Man.....?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you need a new tv. so you an watch the most interesting man commercials for Dos equis beer....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is a Outdoors Man......?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    What is a Outdoors Man......? What is the skill-set required to be considered a Outdoors Man.....?
    I generally see an outdoors man as a married man. When he gets divorced, he can go back in the house if he still has one.............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you need a new tv. so you an watch the most interesting man commercials for Dos equis beer....
    I Don't own a TV, but I have lots of good books.......

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Well, this guy looks a little too well-groomed to have spent much time in the woods. The bullet hole in the shoulder is a nice touch though. But in this particular case, it's probably only a burn hole from the marshmallow that caught fire while he was making s'mores with the kids.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hey where's his Gortex and lazer range finder?

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Hey where's his Gortex and lazer range finder?
    That is an original smartwool jacket and with the Hawken he doesn't need a range finder!

An outdoorsman is any person who is resourceful enough to not get themselves into a situation that they cannot get themselves out of with the tools they have on hand. Unfortunately we sometimes have all the tools we need to survive but lack the knowledge to use them correctly or efficiently. I wouldn't say I fit in this catagory at all times.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    An outdoorsman is any person who is resourceful enough to not get themselves into a situation that they cannot get themselves out of with the tools they have on hand. Unfortunately we sometimes have all the tools we need to survive but lack the knowledge to use them correctly or efficiently. I wouldn't say I fit in this catagory at all times.
    ...or, would you agree that an outdoorsman is resourceful enough to get into said situation, and a good outdoorsman is resourceful enough to get himself out?

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Interesting, so if you slip and fall in the mountains break your leg and have to call the USCG for a rescue does your outdoors-man-card get revoked? If so what do you have to do to get it back?

I consider myself an outdoorsman and it is primarily based on the emotional attachment I have with the wilderness. The mountains especially are what I enjoy, they are a fine blend of serenity and struggle.

a person that loves all things wild and free,
    choosing a lifestyle that is hard over easy,
    willing to face an element of danger,
    embracing nature where they know they belong.

Just read a great book. (Out of Season: The Johnny Luster Story "Alaska's Last Great Mountain Man" )
    That will answer your question.

An outdoorsman is a man who spends alot of his time outdoors...not necessarily the same as one who writes alot about being outdoors on an internet forum

I think being a Outdoors Man has nothing to do with hunting or fishing. It has nothing to do with equipment. I do not consider myself a true Outdoors man, even having hunted Alaska for 41 years, and built three homesteads, and Guided for 34 years. To me a Outdoors Man is someone like Frank Grasser "Alaska's Wolfman" (if you have never read it, you should). Or Evelyn Burglund Shore "Born on Snowshoes" (most likely the toughest human that ever lived in Alaska, man or woman). Or the guy who before the Alcan Hwy. was even a dream, left Fairbanks and walked to America, through total wilderness, about 1937.

I sometimes wonder if anyone "NOW" is entitled to the title of "Ourdoors Man" today. Just because someone loves the wilderness does not make them a Outdoors Man. To me it is sad what Sissy's we have become, we includes me.

I DO like and would agree with the good outdoorsman getting himself out of a bad situation.
    I am not the professor. All you 'stump the pope' players (Roll Tide) need to remember it's just one mans opinion. In your slip and fall scenario, the good outdoorsman was smart enough and resourceful enough to bring along a sat phone-outdoors-man-card intact!
    I did forget the whole 'one with nature' part and I thank you for reminding me. One MUST love nature and the out of doors to be a true outdoorsman. However this love alone does not qualify a person to be a cardbearer. Children come to mind as a good example.

I agree with your sentiment, AGL, but if those pioneers had access to 4 wheelers and range finders, they would be all over it, I bet

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I agree with your sentiment, AGL, but if those pioneers had access to 4 wheelers and range finders, they would be all over it, I bet
    Yes, I agree

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    What's a tv?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast