Thread: mini 14

Default mini 14

Does anyone know if they make a mini 14 in any caliber? Or if not, do they make a deflector?

Default mini 14

That was supposed to say a "left handed" mini-14"

Default Mini 14

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    Does anyone know if they make a mini 14 in any caliber? Or if not, do they make a deflector?
    I am not sure if they make a "left-handed" model, but the mini 14 is .223 only. The mini 30 is 7.62x39.

No left-handed model mini-14 or mini-30...I'm a south paw, too. However, I have one (original model) and shoot it left-handed without a problem. The spent cartridges eject plenty far away from my face...if that's your concern. I don't even notice them.

Default mini14: no lefties, but custom calibers available

Flintlock and Doc are right, no lefties. But, ASI can make custom calibers for your mini from .17 Rem up to .50 Beowulf. They also do AR15's and AR10's in similar calibers. I used to shoot my mini ranch both strong and weak hand for practice and never had one come near a face plant, even when a Black Hills 55gr exploded, sent the back half about 30 feet to starboard, lodged the nose section in the chamber and sent the bullet towards the target. Rarely any problems except the inherent inaccuracy. ASI can fix that for a price.
    http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ru...ni_prices.html

Sort of off track but Stag Arms makes a left handed AR 15.
    Tennessee

I got a mini-14 and a Stag lefty. The mini is no problem for me to shoot. I'v probably shott 1k rounds through it an a shell has never hit me in the face, no gas in the face either. Ergos aren't bad for lefty use.

Default mini-14

Thanx folks for the info--my concern was getting brass braces shooting from the left. While in Vietnam my M-60 was a real pain before they came out with deflectors. Snowolfe--thanx but after 30 years in the military, I have had enuf of the Ar 15/m-16 models.

Ruger came out with a factory accurized KMINI 14/5T. It is a stainless/laminate target model with an adjustable harmonic dampener and a thumbhole stock. It is a .223.

Dipnet...as a lefty and Vietnam veteran I hear you on that. When I was in the Marines we qualified with the M-14, which was a fine rifle for me and I shot it well enough to set a high score range record for the battalion (don't mean to be boastful...but I was one proud 17 year old). However, in infantry training we were issued M-16's. The very first round that I fired from an M-16 lodged in my helment strap and put a good burn on my cheek...talk about acquiring an immediate flinch. Of course I went on to fire thousands of rounds thereafter, and I worked through my initial "howdy there" from the M-16. Yet, to this day I do not own, nor do I care for the AR model rifle...even the left-handed one.

...sorry to have drifted this thread guys...back to the Mini-14...I'll second the comment that it is a modestly accurate rifle out of the box. After working with it for a while and hand-loading different combinations, the best I could do was 3" at a hundred yards (got a little under 3" once...minus a flyer...which my Mini-14 tends to do). I even called Ruger and they told me I was getting the best with what I had. It was then that I realized my quest for accuracy and tiny little groups had gotten a bit out of control. Really, it's not built for accuracy. I took the scope off, starting using the flip up peep, and dedicated the Mini-14 to it's intended purpose...it is one tough rifle that always cycles. I take mine on snow machine trips with me...and I use a 10 round magazine!

Doc

This is about as good as a stock scoped mini gets:

They can be picky on ammo depending on what model/barrel twist you have. Mine has a 1/9 barrel and likes ~62 gr. the best. It opens up to 3" with 55 gr.

I'm a lefty too, and have used a Mini-14 as my main saddle gun for many years. It's "minute of coyote" out to a couple of hundred yards, but like the others here, I'd forget about it for small targets past 100 or so. Extremely reliable, and I've never had a jam of any sort. Never been hit by an empty case or gas either.

Default mini-14

Well, Semper Fi Doc--I was Parris Island class of 65 and RVN class of 66-67. I too was trained on the M-14 and loved it. When we landed in country we were issued the M-16`s which were worthless(earliest version). As a machine gun MOS, I shot the M-60 left handed until I became the squad leader and immediately got my .45 and 12Ga. I slept better then. My interest in the mini-14 is sparked from the outstanding visual appeal of the weapon and housing works which are so smooth. I live in Eagle River Valley near the nature center and am inundated with coyotes which have been stalking my cats and dogs--I just want to "scare" them so accuracy is not really an issue. THANKS FOR THE CHAT!

I'd be interested in curing your coyote problem!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

While you're at it buy a pair of them and that way you will have a nice set of oars for your boat. :-)

Wink mini-14

Allen--- I just happen to have a spare boat!