Thread: How far from the sea have you seen Salmon spawning?

Default How far from the sea have you seen Salmon spawning?

I was hunting Ptarmigan a while back with a few friends. We were riding our ATV's on a road going up a hill near Cache Creek Cabins. We got skunked for Ptarmigan, but about a mile upstream From Cache Creek we were amazed to see a deep red Silver Salmon in a small creek with no more than 4" of water, still trying to swim further upstream. I couldn't believe it, I had no idea they could make that far upstream. We looked around for more, but couldn't find any.

Anyone else have stories of salmon spawning a long way inland?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

from the mouth of the yukon all the way to delta clearwater would be the farthest ive seen them

A dog salmon 70 mile up a northern tributary feeding the Porcupine.

Some go 2000 miles up the Yukon!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Not that uncommon at all. There are lots of red salmon that spawn in those streams up by Petersville. Kings and silvers spawn up by Fairbanks and there are kings that enter the Yukon that spawn in Canada.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I've been up there (Cache Creek area) quite a bit in the last couple of years, and this is the first time I've seen a salmon. I guess that's part of what threw me off. I know there was a pretty big flood in the area five years ago, and I believe this is the first time since then that salmon have been back. I was also surprised because the creek this salmon was in is so narrow and shallow. I can see them making it a few thousand miles in big water like the Yukon, but this particular fish was many, many miles up a series of rivers and creeks that all contain rapids and shallows, even a few falls along the way.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I was up there bear hunting last fall and came upon a stream right next to the main road that was plugged with red salmon. The stream was no wider than two feet and a few inches deep. There were hundreds of fish trying to get up the small stream. That whole area is part of the Yentna, Skwentna, and Kahiltna river drainages (more so the Yentna and Kahiltna) and all are big producers of both red and silver salmon. The Kahiltna is just west of the Peters Hills and if you look at a map there are several streams that lead into the cache creek area.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

900 Miles,, for Chinook, Sockeye, and stealhead..
    On the Salmon River in central Idaho. I think it is the second or third farthest return in the world, it seems like either the Yukon or a river in Russia is the farthest, but not sure bout that..