Thread: Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special

Default Ruger Blackhawk 44 Special

Anyone have one yet? I just read about it.

I'm thinking this one will be a gem for casual carry, especially in 4 5/8". My current play gun I carry with me all the time is a 4" 629, but it's almost always loaded with Specials.

In my youth I carried a SBH with a 5 1/2" barrel, but let it go for a BH 41 in 4 5/8". I'd still be carrying that if I hadn't been attacked by the stupids and let it go.

Lots of info on this forum,folks seem to realy like them

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Lots of info on this forum,folks seem to realy like them

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/
    That's really good news, and thanks for the link. Lighter and more compact than my 629, while firing the same loads I usually carry.... Sounds like a winner to me!

I'm luckier than most folks, living an hour outside town and wandering the hills at will. I always have a revolver on my belt and afew spare rounds in my pocket. plus a couple of boxes under the seat of my truck. Nice thing about my load (750 fps w/ 250 grain Keith and Unique), it's easy on the ears, potent enough for deer, but mild enough I don't hesitate to head-pop the occasional snowshoe. Kinda like being a kid all over again!

Same here but town is in the woods kind of. I live on front street and in 10 minuets walking I can be hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ah man, and you've got all that winter boating water, too. Gotta love it! My boat gets covered in November and doesn't see daylight again till April. Somebody has to live in Alaska, so it may as well be us!

I saw the stainless 4 5/8" version with adj. sights on the web and I thought I was in love...

On the original size frame it should be outstanding.

Here is the outfit that had them made first

http://www.lipseys.com/

I have one. I got it about year and a half ago before I left Alaska. It is a lovely little special, all steel, frame and ejector house. I have also just ordered a sheriff's model Vaquero 3 1/2" model. This newest Vaquero doesn't have the birds head grip frame. I have that on a 45 Sheriff's model. I have the same duo in 45 colt, the 45 of course isn't a flat top but same weight and balance. This series of Blackhawks/Vaqueros are just the cats meow. Easy to carry, easy to shoot strong enough for heavier loads, not magnums but bug slugs at about 1000 fps work so good for trail and tundra. I wear a 4 5/8" Ruger when I ride horseback or sitting on a wheeler. just a very nice set up. I have always like the 44 special and this is Ruger's first venture into the cartridge. You'll love it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ah, man. Just what I needed to hear!

You will love the little Ruger. I have basically a matched set with the new/new 45 caliber, 4 5/8th Blackhawk and the flat top Special. The Flat top is a steel grip frame, the Blackhawk is alloy. The new/new Vaquero is steel grip frame and the birdshead frame was steel also, it is a discontinued item now the Sheriff's model offered now has the standard steel Vaquero grip frame.

I loaded a few rounds of 44 special one day and quickly grabbed my gun to test some and shot five 44 special rounds through the chrony screen at a target 25 yards down range. Velocity was very low and erratic and the group was low and a neat 8"??!!

I dumped the brass into my hand and it was bulged badly.....I though what the.......Then noticed the sight ridge on top of the Blackhawk!! Well needless to say, we should not shoot 44 special loads in the 45 Colt caliber revolver. Yeah, I do blunder sometimes.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Funny you should mention that Murphy, in digging through some brass a customer dropped of the other day I found a whole box of 44special cases. Imagine my surprise when I went to resize them that night at home, they all had sort of a reverse bottleneck. I assume someone fired them in a 45colt, six rounds I can understand, mistakes are made by all of us, but an entire box!

On a related note, I did some work on one of the new Blackhawks in 45colt recently, nice little pistol. When I went to test fire it the only ammunition I had on hand was some BB heavy 45colt with what I believed to be 300gr bullets. WOW talk about a handful, I'm sure those thin black plastic grips didn't help any either.
    I do envy those who have gotten ahold of one of the new 44specials, they are definatly on my perfect packin pistol list, and if you have one be careful bringing it in to the shop for work, you may not get it back!

I got to shoot one today. Man. As natural as pointing my finger. Load was reputedly 900 fps with a 250, and quite comfortable. Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Funny you should mention that Murphy, in digging through some brass a customer dropped of the other day I found a whole box of 44special cases. Imagine my surprise when I went to resize them that night at home, they all had sort of a reverse bottleneck. I assume someone fired them in a 45colt, six rounds I can understand, mistakes are made by all of us, but an entire box!

On a related note, I did some work on one of the new Blackhawks in 45colt recently, nice little pistol. When I went to test fire it the only ammunition I had on hand was some BB heavy 45colt with what I believed to be 300gr bullets. WOW talk about a handful, I'm sure those thin black plastic grips didn't help any either.
    I do envy those who have gotten ahold of one of the new 44specials, they are definatly on my perfect packin pistol list, and if you have one be careful bringing it in to the shop for work, you may not get it back!
    Yeah it was a stupid thing to do but so many guns to test and so much ammo on the shelf........I find the heavy loads unpleasant in the smaller narrow grip frame of the new/new blackhawk/vaqueros. The balance is better and pointing is better but recoil is more severe. I shoot a 265 grain WFNGC at 920 fps from the 45 and it is good enough and doesn't hurt. I had to send the 45 back to Ruger to get a taller front sight installed to sight it in with this load. My rear sight is in the middle now and I like that. The special was sight-inable with a range of loads from 240 to all I wanted with velocity at about 800 to 1000 fps. Thats what a 44 special is about. Funny my 44 special ammo made a good group in the target through the 45 caliber barrel...... well surprisingly good group..

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I got to shoot one today. Man. As natural as pointing my finger. Load was reputedly 900 fps with a 250, and quite comfortable. Done deal.
    I'm sure you'll like the gun. It was always a good caliber and worth carrying in the woods or under the neon glow.

I had a stainless rossi 720 44 special that was so accurate and fun to shoot, alas some low life stole it.
    This ruger looks like it can be loaded hotter than the rossi.
    A few reloads with these punch mountain brass bullets might be nice to carry in bear country. http://www.beltmountain.com/punch.htm
    I hope it is ok I gave the web address. Just thought they might be a usu full tool in certain situations.