Thread: pack weight?

Question pack weight?

I was reading the "comfort" thread and I thought I would ask this question: How much weight do you limit your pack to?
    This could be posted on the hiking forum but I thought it fit better hear since I'm thinking more along the lines of hunting rather than just camping. (i.e. packing out game etc).
    Hikers will go to great lengths to minimize weight, much the way some hunters go to great lengths to take a few ounces off a rifle.
    Now I know everyone will come up with a slightly different answer because of size, strength and endurance but I'm also ure that you all have pretty much mastered the art of efficiency in balancing the gear/weight ratios! Any tricks you've learned along the way?

reuben...

when i head on in a seven day sheep hunt with a client, i'm right near 65 to 75lbs, food for two people for a week, sat phone, emergency gear and my personal stuff. coming ut with sheep figure it'll be almost double that. going solo i should be able to drop about 15-20lbs off that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink Tough Question

Ruben, never weighed the pack loaded so I''ll guess about 35/37 lbs. I'm never happy, and always trimming the load. And thats with my gun lashed on a ss tc contender 45 70 with scope. Freeze dried foods, water not included, plenty around where I hunt. I can say this the older I get the less I bring! Traded my small tent for a GO LITE hut 1 tarp With titanium stakes. I'm near rock bottom now, but still very safe! Traded my stove in for a msr pocket rocket, one fuel cell, 20 0z titanium cup,with home made tinfoil lid . It worked so well I'll never go back to a large size cook kit, but you have to eat out of the food packages, you get the idea. All fleece clothes, Frogg toggs rain gear ect. The only difference in weight is the more food needed for longer hunts. Mine have been 3 4 days max ,planing more/ longer ones in the future Lord willing. Hope this helps. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default pack weight

Yea, I'm usually about where BRWNBR is at 60 to 65: 2 wks freeze dried, tent, bag, pack, camera, 20 rds ammo, knife, game bags, spotting scope, binocs, snacks, emergency/minor first aid, cook kit, stove and fuel, sat phone, etc.,etc. I know I am a bit heavy but carry a bit more since I am on north side of Brooks and usually with one of sons. Oh, and in case you are wondering I do have all the gee whiz super lightweight toys. Basic "hunting weight" out of spike camp usually runs about 10 to 15 lbs ready to siwash 1 - 2 nights if needed.

Default Hard to say

I am going to guess around 40-50#'s on the way in. I do have some of the neccessities like sat phone, etc. I am pretty bare bones when it comes to heading out. Had 50#'s of gear on a fly out hunt. That lasted for 9 days! Started eating some of the caribou meat towards the end! Smoke kept us from being flown out. Never would have starved though.

Default Thanks!

Thanks all for in input. The range of weights sure do vary! I used to backpack quite a bit so I'm aware of trying to keep things light.
    I try and make the contents of my pack do as much double duty as possible.
    My gear is great for it's intended role but I'm afraid it's not up to carrying a caribou out of the bush. My external frame pack could be modified but I doubt it would hold up for long being used as a packboard.
    I see all the pics posted of sheep hunting and the electric fences and it seems that your packs would weigh more than they do.
    Where in Alaska can I find the packs and other equipment I'd need to get started?
    Or do I have to order?

Thanks gang.....

reuben....

lol geez here with go with the backpack thread..depends on how much you wanna spend and how often your gonna use it...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by reuben_j_cogburn View Post
    Thanks all for in input. The range of weights sure do vary! I used to backpack quite a bit so I'm aware of trying to keep things light.
    I try and make the contents of my pack do as much double duty as possible.
    My gear is great for it's intended role but I'm afraid it's not up to carrying a caribou out of the bush. My external frame pack could be modified but I doubt it would hold up for long being used as a packboard.
    I see all the pics posted of sheep hunting and the electric fences and it seems that your packs would weigh more than they do.
    Where in Alaska can I find the packs and other equipment I'd need to get started?
    Or do I have to order?

Thanks gang.....

reuben....

If you near Anchorage, Barney's Sports and REI are good places to start.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

My pack never weighs more then my skis
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Pack Weight

My pack weighted 60#'s for a 10 day Sheep hunt. That was everything minus water. I didn't weight it on the return trip but I guess it was 130-140#

Wink

Ruben, I live in the east so you would think it's easy to find stuff, not true. I''ll order most of the time. Hunt the sales in places like Campmor, Ebay, ect.If you can find out what suits your needs your ahead of the game. Send for the catalogues from campmor, one of the few that gives you the weights of most items, if thats important to you. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Outlets

I have also read the other posts on packs, so I don't want to get repetative.
    Im just not as familiar with who carries what in Alaska. I here Sportsmans warehouse through around quite a bit. With the "miles" it takes to get places I really don't want to drive hundreds of miles to not find anything!
    I have no problem with ordering but it's nice to actually "see" a high dollar purchase before money is plunked down.
    And don't worry.. I'll be bugging you guy's over which stoves work best etc.
    My stuff is older technology and while it works well, it's a bit heavy by today's standards thats for sure....
    On a backpacking trip you generally come bavk lighter than when you leave but in this case the packing out of game and multiple trips means I want to be more efficient thats all guy's....

ciao y'all....

reuben....

Default Sheep Gear

Over the years as you make refinements and know what you want it becomes easier. I have found quite a bit of stuff on Ebay. I also shop REI when in Seattle, have my REI# taped to my lifetime NRA card lest there be some confusion as to why I am there. There is a huge difference in the gear I took on my 1st hunt compared to my 10th hunt. That is part of the fun, upgrading as you go. It is pretty hard to buy all the "right" stuff from the getgo. A lot of the time it seems I upgrade, get lighter ie: more exspensive gear so I can bring a few more comforts. Some guys get by with a lot less comfort than others.

Good Luck

Default Stuff with shoulder straps!

I think I'm worse than some women concerning purses or shoes, when it comes to me and backpacks!....
    I have many. My two main packs are great but not meant for hunting really. And I have many daypacks and military packs which house my float tube, hunting clothes, and other stuff I need to keep segregated and ready to go. So buying another one sure isn't going to hurt my feelings!

reuben...

Default Packing

Packing a pack is a refining process and a learning experience every trip out. Constantly looking for less weight, better gear and more versitility within the gear.

I have my goat pack with 3 days food, shelter and everything needed except water and bow down to about 35 pounds.

Some of the new equipment out there is just awesome. Like UnderAmour, titanium pots, water filters....... it can only get better.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012