Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name (5) ways to start a fire without matches or lighter. In the DARK.

Default Name (5) ways to start a fire without matches or lighter. In the DARK.

Your matches are wet, and your lighter is out of fuel, How do you start a fire to survive...?

I know, Who cares......? Can't we just talk about: What is the best cartridge for "pitkas".......?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1 tell your women companion that if her Azz had not been so wide the water would not have run off her coat and filled her pockets so easliy...

then sit back and wait for the lightning bolt. and while your azz is smoldering put it in dry tinder... Don't forget to remind her she helped light the fire...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

2 Dual purpose items I carry.

I carry road flares in my emergency kit. Will start most anything wet also doubles to signal if needed.

Fritos corn chips double as food and fire starter.

OK, That might work.......

A rag dipped in your gastank, lit with a sparkplug...... if you are on a sled or wheeler.

Make a fire starting bow.
    Two sticks rub together
    Magnifying glass.
    Battery and steel wool or battery and a peace of wire.
    Fink and fire starter.
    Auto flair
    Pisto/rifel and a cartridge

I like Vinces answer, because he beat me to it, I was gonna say get comfortable and when the wife done Bi*&***** about how cold she is, she'll get a fire going.

Honey, if you can start a fire in the kitchen, you can start one out here,,and this time I'll let you keep your shoes on.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I like Vinces answer, because he beat me to it, I was gonna say get comfortable and when the wife done Bi*&***** about how cold she is, she'll get a fire going.

Honey, if you can start a fire in the kitchen, you can start one out here,,and this time I'll let you keep your shoes on.
    WOW!
    **ducks for cover**

Road flares
    battery+steel wool
    blast match
    fire steel
    magnesium shavings and flint spark
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Good Clothes, Quick Shelter, High power food stash to stoke Body Stove, Wood all TOO WET around here anyway,

"Who needs to mess with fire?" keeping my gloves ON rather than all that hassle.

Sorry, I know, that's boring,.....

so I'll go with Vinces answer, should I bring something like a Rockclimbing helmet along for that?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

5 Bic Lighters............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    5 Bic Lighters............lol
    Have you always had a reading comprehension problem......lol ?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Have you always had a reading comprehension problem......lol ?
    lol......OK, 6 if ones defective.

LOL- actually my first reaction was, "Lighter out of fluid...not possible." I carry several, and check them before I go out. But I figured I'd play by the rules.

Assuming you DO have a working lighter, one thing I recommend is to carry a candle. You can light the candle and use it to light your fire...keeps you from burning your fingers and using up your fuel.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    LOL- actually my first reaction was, "Lighter out of fluid...not possible." I carry several, and check them before I go out. But I figured I'd play by the rules.

Assuming you DO have a working lighter, one thing I recommend is to carry a candle. You can light the candle and use it to light your fire...keeps you from burning your fingers and using up your fuel.
    LOL...I've been divorced for years, so I made myself a promise many years ago to keep life simple from now on. I'll stick with the Bics.........lol

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL...I've been divorced for years, so I made myself a promise many years ago to keep life simple from now on. I'll stick with the Bics.........lol
    yeah me too, couple times over... but there is something called "learning the Hard way".... dang zippers keep making life complicated...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

+1 for using a candle. I keep one with me on every trip.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Attach a Bic to your zipper as a reminder Vince................lol

Attach a Bic to your zipper as a reminder Vince................lol
    yeah s that when the lightning bolt strikes... it blows up.... "comon baby light my fire...."

meet on face book here

When a person refers to lighter there talking about a cigarette lighters. The problem with using a cigarette lighter is not running out of fuel. Itís a wet thrum. A wet thrum will wet the flink and your lighter will not light. I prefer using a Cigar lighter they use a piezo starter and they are 5x hotter.

When starting a fire or fire starter is mention the subject of keeping the fire going is never mention. Can you imagine carrying fire starter, getting a fire going only to have it go out and you have no way to keep it going or the fire starter will not work because you never try using it.

Two simple questions, now that you have a fire going, how are you going to keep it going for 12 hours and do it at night? The answer to this question could save your life? Why the 12 hours, if you are in a survival situation it will last for several hours/over night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast