Thread: .45-70 Load Data

Default .45-70 Load Data

I just picked up a Marlin guide gun and I am looking for load data on it. I was mainly looking for load data for bullet weights of 450 gr and up. My books have information on lighter stuff.

Has anyone loaded the 450 gr Banded Solids? Any luck? Downsides? They look like nice bullets, but I've never used them and don't know anybody who has?

The .450 Marlin has very similar ballistics, and I've fired up to a 500 gr. hard cast with mine. I'd suggest contacting Ranger Rick here on the forums. I'll bet he's done some work with the old 45-70. Here's another place to look, but keep in mind these are pet loads by individual hand-loaders, and therefore not guaranteed safe. There is data here for up to 550 gr. bullets. I can't help ya on the banded solids. I've never tried them.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...=Powder&Source

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

The OAL of cartridges loaded with the banded solids will be much too long the function through the action of a Marlin.
    Might try Marlinowners.com for data, a bunch of those guys are into heavy cast bullets.

Just curious, but why the interest in the banded solids in the 45-70? Just asking.

Recoil very heavy with 400gr and above.........suggest stick with a good 350gr Hardcast Flat nose Gas check at 2000 FPS with Reloader 7.............and you have a killing machine! and not to hard on the shoulder!
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Recoil very heavy with 400gr and above.........suggest stick with a good 350gr Hardcast Flat nose Gas check at 2000 FPS with Reloader 7.............and you have a killing machine! and not to hard on the shoulder!
    Just curious, what gun are you shooting? I didn't notice an uncomfortable increase in recoil with my 450 Marlin 1895 when going from factory 350 gr. ammo up to 500 gr. hardcast. There was an increase in recoil, but not enough to hurt. The bigger slugs seemed to have more of a slow push for recoil, rather than a sharp jab like a high velocity caliber. It's easier to handle in my opinion.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I have some 400 grain Barnes "buster" solids. Not loaded or shot yet, but promising.
    I have shot heavy loaded 400 Woodleigh soft points for years, at 1950fps.
    Who says the 45/70 is obsolete?
    Bryan

39 grs. of H322 behind 525 gr. Beartooth Pile-Drivers has been an awesome load for me. This load was recommended to me by Marshal Stanton with Beartooth Bullets.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I use Hodgdon Benchmark, one of thier extreame powders. You will not get velocitiy/pressure changes between summer and winter, a pretty big deal if you are pushing the envelope. Stick to published data, book min of Benchmark will give you 1950fps with a 405gr boolit, never saw any need to go any faster. I use the RCBS 45-405 and the 45-500, both are gas checked. I prefer the 405gr to the 350gr or 500gr, sure you get more velocity with the 350gr and you have more weight with the 500gr but 405 seams to give the best of both. If you are looking to shoot solids, consider hard cast, but make sure you slug your barrel to know what size you need. Besides if you cast your own it is way cheaper than store bought solids. I have both the 405gr and 500gr sized and lubed to .458, if you are close we could link-up and you are welcome to some to give a try.
    I have tried a ton of differant powder and boolits, benchmark and 405gr works for me..
    Mike

Thumbs up

Marlin 1895 GG in 45-70 when I was using the 350gr Hardcast FNGC at 2000 FPS. The 405 SP were at 2000 FPS also..........anything heavier if pushed too top vel for the Marlin just hurt! I found my best accuracy and trajectory with 350gr Hornady RN or the 350gr Hardcast FNGC and performance on game was superb! The Bullet construction plays a big part in the 350gr the Woodliegh RN and Kodiak bullet both in 350gr work great!

Now I have a Ruger # 1 using the 350 speer FN at 2100 FPS in 45-70
    Alaska

I now am at the point where I stick to one bullet and one powder and just change load to suit hunt/need; blacktail through to bear loads.

I use only lasercast (lasercast.com) 405Grainers. They are a hard alloy, so no lead, but are solids. I have awesome accuracy from them, they cycle perfectly and are very consistent and I know a lot of other guys who swear by them.

Loaded with reloader 7, anything from 36Gr (nice and light for deer) through to 44Gr (med/heavy). Some say 44Gr RL7 under a 405 is max for Marlins, others say 48Gr. 44Gr gives plenty of oomph, running around 1800fps and is just right not to be uncomfortable.

Personal view, but I would keep away from the Hornady LEs. A lot of reports (including me) of cycling issues and early bullet expansion/break up.

I have heard great things about the Barnes 250Gr TSX bullets. Not tried them yet, but I may do just for fun. They can run up around 2700FPS, which should give better longer range trajectory for hunting/targets. The bigger bullets start to drop like a brick past 100yds. Still effective, you just have to know your loads/ballistics at range.

Agree on teh Hornady LE, came apart in a lab size blacky at 20 yards. Love the swift a-frame at 2200 (457) but spendy. I couldn't get lead to group in the MG barrel so it's been Kodiak and swift for hunting and rem 300hp and horn 350 RN for play with h4198

I'm working on a 45-70 strong action load. I own a strong action 45-70 and I came up with a few pet loads such as the 350 grain hornady RN with 52 grains of IMR 4198 with winchester large rifle primers, and a local hard cast company in alaska's 500 grain LCGC hard cast with 43 grains of imr 3031 same primers. but for my Insurance load im trying to produce with the 350 grain Barnes X bullet Spitzer. I understand the X bullets have sorta an "exploding" affect and no break up in the projectile. so far i used 51 grains of IMR 4198 with the same primers using the 350 grain barnes Xbullet spitz but not getting the crazy penetration I want. I believe my rifle can handle much more pressure. but as for now **** barnes X bullets are kind expensive. but still, i want to create a load where I could use it in dangerous territory and explode the lungs and shatter the bones of any beast that wants to confront me. anyone have experience? From the thread seems like everyone likes the lever guns, and for those lever guns, 500 grain LCGC hard cast with 43 grains of imr3130 i believe is a great camp rifle load. ill use it in the strong action, cause heavy bullets @ relatively slow velocities will out penetrate same weight bullet traveling @ much higher speeds. anyhow long live the 45-70

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    The .450 Marlin has very similar ballistics, and I've fired up to a 500 gr. hard cast with mine. I'd suggest contacting Ranger Rick here on the forums. I'll bet he's done some work with the old 45-70. Here's another place to look, but keep in mind these are pet loads by individual hand-loaders, and therefore not guaranteed safe. There is data here for up to 550 gr. bullets. I can't help ya on the banded solids. I've never tried them.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...=Powder&Source
    hi all, i was checking the forums amnd found this site!...usually hang out on the boats and fishing forums!!....good to see there are some 45-70 shooters here!....i see they havnt thrown it out my load yet on handloads.com!!....thats me with the 550 grain JB young craters ahead of 40 grains H322!!,,still shooting the same load out of my guide gun!...man, that;s has to be what, 7 years ago?...larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."