Thread: Palmer Creek rd??? (hope)

Default Palmer Creek rd??? (hope)

Has anyone been hunting the end of palmer creek rd, was there this morning and looks like a good upland area. I was looking for bear, didnt bring the shotgun.

Could you get to the very end of the road, or was the gate closed at cour'delane camp ground........?

I've taken some rock ptarmigan off the tops of the ridges in the area (4,000'+), but haven't done well on willow ptarmigan down lower. I've also taken a few grouse near the road down below treeline.

AGL4now,..,.,.,.,Ya the camp ground gate was open. I may be up there in the nest few days, i really want a blackie befor the snow really flies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great White Hunter View Post
    AGL4now,..,.,.,.,Ya the camp ground gate was open. I may be up there in the nest few days, i really want a blackie befor the snow really flies.
    Do not make the mistake of thinking the very back of the valley is the best hunting. as soon as you come out of the switch-backs start glassing the open hillside on your left. I saw one DEN was freshened with new digging yesterday, so the sows with cubs are getting ready to hibernate.

Very true AGL4now. Spent alot of time in the far end and the Bear we saw was about 100 yards from where we left the rigs.

I searched every sq. ft of that valley. I could not find a bear to save my life. total of almost 7 hrs. Oh well, sometimes thats how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Do not make the mistake of thinking the very back of the valley is the best hunting. as soon as you come out of the switch-backs start glassing the open hillside on your left. I saw one DEN was freshened with new digging yesterday, so the sows with cubs are getting ready to hibernate.
    SHHHHHH!! You will spoil the well known fact that all of the game animals are at the END of the trail. If the trail didn't go to where the animals where then why would they have made it so long? If they found animals before that they obviously would have stopped. In fact you should all RACE to the end of the trail in order to be the first one to get to the animals there!

Quote Originally Posted by The Great White Hunter View Post
    I searched every sq. ft of that valley. I could not find a bear to save my life. total of almost 7 hrs. Oh well, sometimes thats how it goes
    For what its worth, I think that Palmer Creek Road is one of the most over-hyped, heavily hunted black bear areas in Unit 7. I've spent a lot of time up there and I love the area, but it would be far down my list of places to find a black bear in the Kenai Mountains. Every single day from August through October there are people up there looking for black bears. With that kind of pressure, they're either dead or being chased as soon as they show up. There are other areas right next to the Seward Highway that routinely hold bears and that are rarely hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For what its worth, I think that Palmer Creek Road is one of the most over-hyped, heavily hunted black bear areas in Unit 7. I've spent a lot of time up there and I love the area, but it would be far down my list of places to find a black bear in the Kenai Mountains. Every single day from August through October there are people up there looking for black bears. With that kind of pressure, they're either dead or being chased as soon as they show up. There are other areas right next to the Seward Highway that routinely hold bears and that are rarely hunted.
    This can be said about every one of the well known public access points (not going to list them and further the pressure) into the Kenai Mountains. The past 6-7 years has seen a huge influx of traffic and pressure into these areas and they are no longer very reliable in terms of seeing black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

Brian, I think your point is valid. But there are other factors, One most hunters new to Alaska don't know how to operate binoculars, they don't know how to work a grid pattern. Two, most are used to spot and then stalk, and generally from a vehicle. Very few want to put on a pack and go for a 20 mile mountain walk. And to a small extent I think "some" hunters new to Alaska are unsure how to process a animal, and think "well, if I shoot it and drag it to the truck & take it home, uncle Joe will show me how to process it.

But I think inexperience with operating binoculars is the single biggest factor. We had a extremely successful Black Bear camp in the back of Cripple Creek for 20 years, but I would not send people in there, only half of them would come out.

If you want to hunt palmer creek just because you can drive there good luck. You will need to be there early to compete with the other 12 trucks of people trying to do the same thing especially on the weekend. Maybe if you take time and stay and camp you will have a chance but its getting cold.

Hell, We have been Snow Machining for a week here. I would guess that the gate is closed.

About a month ago I was glassing a fat blackie up there, watched him for 2 hours eating berries at the top of the mountain. It was very neat to see him graze around and flush white ptarmagin. I never saw the birds until they flushed and couldn't see them again when they landed, but they seemed to be everywhere near the top of the mountains (3,000'ish maybe)