Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway/Delta

Default Denali Highway/Delta

Hit the Denali highway on Friday with my Buddy TH and Paxson. Didn't realize the situation we would be in until we were down there and it was too late........subsistence caribou! Anyway through all the hoopla, we were able to hunt some very nice draws, where we were seeing a ton of tracks, and ptarmigan sign. After miles and miles, we were unable to get on any birds. Paxson did get pretty birdie a few times, but to no avail. After our third location, we determined that there were too many people stomping around, and it wasn't helping our cause. Also after seeing so many people, and hearing shot after shot, we figured it would be best for our safety, and our peace of mind to move on. Also I like to hunt because of the peace, quiet. I don't like to see hoards of people! Anyway we decided to move on to the Delta area. We hunted a few more areas, and then decided to call it a day. On the way out, we decided to run one last small open area (Paxson was pooped, as well as TH and I). We ended up picking up two Sharpies (missed one). The weather was beautiful, Paxson hunted hard, the company was awesome, the scenery was breath taking..............two sharpies= icing on the cake!DSCN1972.jpgDSCN1977.jpg

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the ONLY birds we saw were on top of McClairin summit. about 40 in one flight spooked up by bou hunters i was helping out. so even though i had the new 12 along... it remains unfired at critters.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    the ONLY birds we saw were on top of McClairin summit. about 40 in one flight spooked up by bou hunters i was helping out. so even though i had the new 12 along... it remains unfired at critters.
    What type of 12 banger do you have?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    What type of 12 banger do you have?
    picked up my first O/U from a member here recently. yugo brand but very nice
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

spooked two Ptarmies "tromping through" Denali.. first time I've ever seen them in white pretty cool really.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Sweet! That looks like a blast =)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    picked up my first O/U from a member here recently. yugo brand but very nice
    Nice. I looked at some Beretta O/U. Very nice, but a little out of my price range. Plus, I just can't seem to move past my old Ithaca pump!

Hoyt, I think I saw you out there.. I was admiring the dog.. My son asked "why would anyone take a dog caribou hunting?" you were the third or forth person that we saw with a dog. so I explained birds and bunnies to him. You do have a great looking dog.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

that is a nice looking ithaca
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Please tell us about your dog.....

No flys on that Ithaca either.

What kind of shape is the Denali Highway in and how long does that subsistence caribou hunt last? Does the state put up a physical barrier to driving on it in winter or is it just not maintained?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    What kind of shape is the Denali Highway in and how long does that subsistence caribou hunt last? Does the state put up a physical barrier to driving on it in winter or is it just not maintained?
    the state puts up travel notice at each end indicating that it is AT YOUR OWN RISK. so far the snow fall has been minimal. though there are several sections that are very slick now. a little snow and some wind and areas with banks rising above the road will quickly drift in. Snomobile travel is recomended from then on.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    Hoyt, I think I saw you out there.. I was admiring the dog.. My son asked "why would anyone take a dog caribou hunting?" you were the third or forth person that we saw with a dog. so I explained birds and bunnies to him. You do have a great looking dog.
    Thank you! You ever see me again, stop and say hi! Paxson loves kids! I've been thinking about getting him involved as a therapy dog in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    that is a nice looking ithaca
    Thanks. Model 37 16 guage. 1957 I believe. No real story behind it, as it wasn't passed down to me. I love those older guns, and they were pretty affordable when I bought it a few years back. Bullet proof.

gotta love those sweet 16s...i shoot a 16ga remington 870 wingmaster manufactured in 1952 that has made its way from my uncle to his son to my cousin to myself...it can't throw a slug to save my life but its hands down the best small game gun i own...all my friends make fun of the purple shell casings until i'm the only one bring critters back into camp
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    gotta love those sweet 16s...i shoot a 16ga remington 870 wingmaster manufactured in 1952 that has made its way from my uncle to his son to my cousin to myself...it can't throw a slug to save my life but its hands down the best small game gun i own...all my friends make fun of the purple shell casings until i'm the only one bring critters back into camp
    So true! I love the 16. I shoot 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz 6 shot for about everything out of mine. I love that load for my gun. 870 wingmasters are fine guns also! What do you typically shoot out of your wingmaster?

I wouldn't be caught dead hunting with a 16 gauge gun! 'Cept for maybe one of these:

But a one ounce load out of a 16 is Sweeet! I shoot one ounce of 7 1/2s at everything.

Very nice gun Jim! Do you ever have a problem with the 7 1/2's in windy conditions?

Nope! 7 1/2s work pretty well in most every situation for me. But I'm sure there are times when the 6s could help me, but I find it hard to carry 2 types of shells with me. I'm not very smart or handy! I do try and tailor the cokes to the situation at hand when I can.

The first, or top gun, is an Arrieta and it's got rather open chokes. The bottom gun is a Merkel and it has much tighter chokes. On windy days or if I think the shots will be long I carry the Merkel. But then, I'll also look in the safe and feel sorry for one of my 20s and take it. Or I'll take my "little gun," a CSMC RBL 28. If the birds get up out too far I'll just release the dogs to go hunt 'em up again.

I had the "little gun" out on ruffs the other day.

Jim

Jim you have some very nice guns. I really like the looks of the Merkel! My 37 has a fixed modified barrel. I have used 7 1/2 later in the year for grouse (once the leaves are down). But more often the not I like the 6's on grouse when the leaves are up, and you’re pushing through foliage. Later in the year when I get after the ptarmigan, I again like the 6 shot for those open areas where distance and wind can be a factor. I hear a lot of people saying they like the 1 oz loads in their 16's. I have found my gun shoots the 1 1/8 oz loads very nicely. It also works well on pheasant down in the states! You mentioned a new book in the other thread? When do you anticipate a release date for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast