Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a good use for tanned big game hides

Question need a good use for tanned big game hides

I have more than a half dozen tanned hides; all golden brown, very smooth on one side and rough on the other. Shapes are odd due to arms/legs. Some have one or two (pass through shot) holes in them.

And my best one is massively huge, tanned, and with the hair still on it, from an Elk. The neck fur differs greatly from the body fir which is much different from the butt fir. I had this on draped across the back of the couch but the local mgmt didn't enjoy that, so its back in the closet now with the rest of them.

Does anyone have some suggestions for what to use them for?

I had them professionally tanned and I saved them over time thinking to make a bedspread someday, but don't know how to sew worth a darn and then we come back to the local mgmt thing again...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wait for the kids to go to bed and throw them down in front of the fire place... when the hair is rubbed off... get a new one out... at your age. couple hides should last a few years...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Stand up like a man and tell the local mgmt what you're going to do with them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    yup should be albe to keep the hair on them a GOOOOOOD long time... they will look nice laying there in front of the fire place in the eve's won't they?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Agree with Kingfisher

Also, after you lay them on the floor in front of the fireplace.............add some animal musk smell to enhance their usefulness and your enjoyment of them!!
    Local mgmt loves animal musk smells.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default I dares ya

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    You've me the local mgmt; YOU tell her! Me thinks its better to don't ask don't tell....

I like Vince's idea better, except the part about that I might have more than a lifetime supply....

All kinds of things you could do with the hides. May be enough elk for an elk vest, hair out. That's one of the easier things to put together, make some moose or caribou antler buttons for it and it would look sharp and keep ya warm whenever you were "allowed" wear it <grin>.

I'm working on a full beaver hat and beaver mitts right now. Fun to work with fur, hardest part is making or finding good pattern for what you want and cutting the whole darn thing out. Sewing part is easy. If you have any bear, mitts are real easy to make too, and bear is great for that.

Default elk vest

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    All kinds of things you could do with the hides. May be enough elk for an elk vest, hair out. That's one of the easier things to put together, make some moose or caribou antler buttons for it and it would look sharp and keep ya warm whenever you were "allowed" wear it <grin>.
    With the extra dark, extra long elk's neck hair up around the collar and my shoulders that would be very striking I would think; certainly one of a kind. While the main body hair is still quite full and long, its neck hair is even more so.

And there's plenty of hair N hide to work with; the hide is massive; both very long and very wide. Heck, there's probably enough there to make one even for a guy Dan's size. Of course I mean that with the most respect Dan; I don't badmouth those that are so very many times larger than myself.

Excellent idea bushrat. Not sure I'm up to the task either skill wise or time wise though. Its not like I'm weathering a long dark cold winter out in a cabin in the woods here, and got lots of time on my hands.

With my concrete all poured in time, now the pressure is off; the remaining woodworking project can be done irrespective of time of year. Heck, I might even go moose or caribou hunting this next week. While I've got tons of fish put away, my winter meat supply is dreadfully lacking in red meat.

Throw down some willows and the skins atop as warm floors in yer tent during Winter hunts........

They make nice soft and warm sleeping pads and even sleeping bags too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Sounds like It's time to trade the old management in for a newer model. Then if you use Vince's idea you are going to need to get more hides. Instead of the current management taking out of your hide.
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Have you ever thought about making them into a tapestry ? Putting them up in a den using a curtain rod or something like that the hold em up . Then in the future if you decide to do something else you could disassemble it .
    Kevin
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Find a skin-sewer and trade her a hide or two to sew you up a mountain man outfit to wear while you are out hunting, sounds like you got enough tanned hides there to have a complete outfit sewed up.

seen quivers at some archery shoots made from bear legs and an arctic fox very cool looking! gun or bow scabards...

What can't you do with a bunch of hides?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

jwolf

Make your tots a lil tipi and use the elk hide for the floor.. You could even stretch it taunt and have the kids paint designs on it prior to construction..

Industrial tampoons/toilet paper. Can be washed and reused if desired.
    Tennessee

Well, after reading such great comments...
    I threw a couple beaver pelts down on our hardwood floor in front of the fireplace and laid down with my robe on - wife walked in and I said: Princess, it's time to stop the grinnin and drop the linen!
    Well, she made 2 comments - A. we would both need chiropractic appointments the next day and B. I've been spending waaayyy to much time on this forum!
    Don't try it Familyman - it's a trick!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Smokey:
    This isn't the first time you cracked me up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use my mule deer hide to sleep on when i go camping. The GF makes me bring the air mattress so i lay that on top to insulate it from the plastic mattress. It works great!
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Smokey:
    This isn't the first time you cracked me up.

Smitty of the North
    Well Smitty that makes my day for sure! The whole world would be a better place if we could make others smile more often for sure don't ya think?
    Thanks
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast