Thread: best dog blind

Default best dog blind

Hey folks, I'm looking to hear some opinions / reviews about dog blinds. I've been doing some researching and there are a lot of different brands out there and I'm not sure which one to settle on. My dog is currently 13 months and is 58 lbs.

I've never used one or hunted with anyone who used a dog blind so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richie

not to knock any of the guys who make them...there are many different styles and types. I made one from PVC pipe and used it for years in Kansas..very light and easy to transport...covered it with the cheap wetlands camo material with zip ties and then used the prarie grass from Cabelas to dress it up.. I could change cover color due to the time of year..most of the manufactors just come in one color..you will have to dress it depending on how serious camo is to you...but if you are looking to cover your dog..then it must be important. I will tell you this.. I have killed a ton of birds this year and my buddies can attest "in our face" with my dog standing on the edge of the boat 10 yards away. I just dont think it really bothers the birds that much. If you are field hunting.. I have had mine lay down next to me while in a layout blind and same response years ago....all depends on your hunting style.

My 2 cents
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Never used one, I believe as long as the doggie is sitting or laying still he is fine, doesnt matter if black or choc or yellow. I think a blind restricts his vision to only the direction the blind is facing. Of course, it is a known fact that Chessies will cause birds to flair even if will hidden. Bud

DuckHunter, did you glue your fittings on the pvc pipe or just squeeze them together? I'd like to be able to break it down to make carrying the blind easier. I'll be hunting in the fields and also out of pits this winter so I'd like to get him out of the pit and be able to see the birds. Do you have any pictures of the blind you made? What dimensions did you use?
    AKblackDawg, no worries about birds flaring...I'm hunting behind a nice lab..haha.

I just snapped together.. I did drill holes in the PVC pipe to accomodate zip-ties about every 4-6 inches and it was not very tall..matter of fact I built a bottom part and ended up not using it, just stuck the other ends into the ground.(corn field, winter wheat etc) during the winter or when the ground got frozen, I did use two bungi cords to secure it to the ground(two stakes on each side) both ends were open minus the natural grass,corn stalks etc I stacked up against it. Was very light and when taken apart rolled up in the camo material attached to the top two railings and fit into my decoy bag. I know my lab had to crawl into it..took a few times and she got use to it..as long as I am hunting birds..she will do whatever I want her to.... I think she shares my excitment
    I will work on a drawing via computer and email it to you. send me your email via PM.

Hope this helps.
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    DuckHunter, did you glue your fittings on the pvc pipe or just squeeze them together? I'd like to be able to break it down to make carrying the blind easier. I'll be hunting in the fields and also out of pits this winter so I'd like to get him out of the pit and be able to see the birds. Do you have any pictures of the blind you made? What dimensions did you use?
    AKblackDawg, no worries about birds flaring...I'm hunting behind a nice lab..haha.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I train using Avery dog stands and even a ground blind made by GHG. I train to expose the dogs to as much as possible. Personally though I seem to do fine with the dog sitting or laying right beside me. I will use the cover around me or use the camo that I am using to mask us. For me...number one...I do my best to keep the dog up out of the water.
    A lot of the store bought blinds go up real easy. The ones that are open on both ends are easier for the dog to get into. You can use natural cover or synthetic cover over the top to blend in better if needed.

Default Not necessary

I've never used dog blinds. I've never seen the need. During the recent hunt I wrote about, the ducks were coming straight on to us in the morning. Roca was right in the open. I made her sit still and hid my shiny face behind a little brush and all was well. Later in the day we had the ducks coming in from the side and front so they never looked right at us. She was still in the open for the most part. I wanted her to have every advantage to see what was going on.
    I'm more worried about how my face and gun barrel shine in the sun than the dog.

DH, your PM box is full.

thanks for everyones opinion and please keep them coming.

I believe I'll need a blind for the dog because in majority of the fields we hunt the farmers completely grind down the stubble and the field is completely bare. In that environment the dog sticks out like a sore thumb and will cause the birds to flare.
    The birds in this area absoutely get pounded as its a resting area for the geese during their migration and they get a great education on what to avoid...so a ground blind in this area is actually necessary or the dog needs to be in the pit.

80% of the ducks you shoot in Alaska hatched four months earlier, so I am of the opinion that a dog blind is just an extra "something" to carry in the boat. Maybe dogs flare ducks at the other end of the flyway, but I think you could stand by your blind and fish for pike while you wait and not scare away many birds.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I agree...I will tell you I have shot a bunch of birds while standing in the middle of my decoys..either picking them up or placing them...movement is key, along with shinny things...the camo industry is marketing camo products like crazy around waterfowling over the last 15 years.. I remember standing in water knee deep in blue jeans and a solid brown jacket or black, killing birds like I am now wearing 500 dollars of stuff!......a dog blind...more to carry...but depending on the situation as described..it can come in handy... I am in the process of developing a waterfowl product that many of you will buy once it gets patented and manufactured....just wait...lol..then I can go down south and hunt Argentina and you will pay for it...

Got to love it!